The Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, commonly referred to as SINP and was established in 1949 in Kolkata, West Bengal. The college offers a Ph.D program (including pre-Ph.D course work called Post M.Sc), an undergraduate associateship program, and 2 summer programs. Application mode for all programs is online. The minimum eligibility for the Ph.D course is an M.Sc degree in Physics or Chemistry. Students are selected on the basis of merit in the graduation examination and the rank held in the Entrance Examination. Students are admitted to Post M.Sc courses as Junior Research Fellows.
|Established | Type||1951 | Public|
|Set by||Department of Atomic Energy, Government of India|
|Courses||Post-M.Sc, UG Associateship, Summer Programmes|
|Admission Criteria:||Entrance Examination|
|Entrance Exam:||GATE, NET, JEST, JGEEBILS|
|Facilities:||Auditorium, Canteen, Library, Medical Unit, Hostel|
|Official Website | Contact||http://www.saha.ac.in/web | 033-2337-5345/ 5346|
SINP offers 2 Ph.D. programs (including pre-Ph.D course work called Post M.Sc), 2 undergraduate associateship programs, and 2 summer programs. Students are admitted to Post M.Sc courses as Junior Research Fellows. Application mode for all programs is online. Mentioned below are the details of the programs provided by the Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics.
|Undergraduate Associateship Programmes||
|Summer Student Programmes||
Read More: Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics Fees
Admissions at Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics Kolkata are entrance-based. The students are required to appear in the relevant entrance examination for admission.
How to apply?
The following are the steps to apply to Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics:
- Visit the official SINP website. (http://www.saha.ac.in/web/)
- View the drop-down menu of the “Admissions” tab at the top of the page and click on the appropriate option (Ph.D Programmes / Summer Programmes / Undergraduate Associateship Programmes). The application form for the respective courses will be highlighted on each page in red. Click on the link to apply.
- Fill in the form carefully. Make sure to add your registration or roll number/rank/percentile of the national level qualification tests like JEST/ JGEEBILS or NET and Apply the form.
The shortlisted candidates are informed through email and the list is also uploaded on the official website. The shortlisted candidates are then called for interview rounds.
Read More: Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics Admission
Some of the facilities of this institution includes:
- Auditorium: The M.N.Saha Auditorium is mainly used for holding various programs, seminars, symposium,colloquia, and Conferences of national and international stature. There were 286 programs held during 2018-19.
- Canteen: The SINP Departmental Canteen remains active from 8 AM to 8 PM for preparation and serving food to members and guests of the Institute. It serves breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and snacks and evening meals
- Library: The library, occupying an area of 12970 Sq.ft., has an annual budget of INR 5 crores. It contains 39100 books, 51974 journals, 3020 online journals and 1217 CD-ROMs.
- Medical Unit: The Institute provides medical benefit to employees and their dependent family members through two schemes: CMBS and non-CMBS. At present 478 employees together with their 1750 (approx.) dependents enjoy this benefit.
SINP Awards and Accolades
Some of the awards and achievements of the faculty members in the past few years include:
- Dr. Chandrima Das was recently awarded the “S. Ramachandran - National Bioscience Award For Career Development – 2019” by the Department of Biotechnology.
- Bikash Sinha, director of the Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, received a Humboldt research award for his exceptional achievements from the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- R. Ranganathan, a Senior Professor, received a Material Research Society of India (MRSI) Medal in 2007.
This institution is indeed one of the most amazing institutions one can come across. It is one the leading autonomous institutions in India. Any student who is lucky enough to have an opportunity to join this institution should ideally grab it immediately. The faculty is excellent, the facilities are state-of-the-art, and all in all, the college is one of the best that can be.
Ques. How can I become a member of the library?
Ans. There are three types of memberships for access to the library: Internal membership is for SINP and VECC staff members while External membership is only for researchers, Academicians & Distinguished Scientists. Finally, Institutional membership is for students and all who are part of the college. The Membership Form for each of the above is available at the Library counter.
Ques. What are the details for the selection process of the summer student programs?
Ans. The selection is based on the candidate’s academic performances (weighted properly with the ranking of the current affiliation) and the statement of research. Based on these, the institution seeks letters of references for the shortlisted candidates to make the final selection.
Ques. What are the details of the institution’s locations and contact?
Ans. The campus of the Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics (SINP) is situated in Bidhannagar or Salt Lake which is located in the North-East part of city Kolkata. The address of the college is:
Sector-1, Block-AF, Bidhan Nagar,
West Bengal, India
Phone Numbers: 033-2337-5345/ 5346
Ques. How many fellowships are available for students’ joining Post-MSc courses?
Ans. There are two types of options available for fellowships for Post-MSc course students:
- Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics Fellowships: 20 Fellowships
- Extramural Fellowships: 20 Fellowships
Ques. Is there any stipend for fellow students in SINP?
Ans. Yes, for the first two years, INR 31000 is given per month, and for subsequent years, a sum of INR 35000 is provided. The fellowships are awarded for a maximum of 5 years. They are renewed yearly, subject to satisfactory performance.