Central Institute of Mining and Fuel Research (CIMFR), an autonomous institute, is India’s largest research and development organization. Apart from the main campus in Dhanbad, there are 6 other campuses all over India. The institute is under the guidance of the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR). The educational institution has been awarded the National Geoscience Award, National Technology Award, and the National Mineral Award and many others.
CIMFR Dhanbad Highlights
CIMFR Courses Offered
Course1: Integrated M.Tech-Ph.D. Programme in Engineering
This program will educate the students in high-level theoretical knowledge starting from mine design combined with practical training enabling them to tackle various problems being faced by the mining industries as well as to pursue further academic achievements through research and development.
- Eligibility: B.E./B.Tech in Mining/ Mechanical/ Electrical/ Production/ Civil/ Instrumentation/ Electronics/ Chemical Engineering or equivalent with minimum of 7.0 CGPA (or minimum of 70% marks).
- Entrance Exam: GATE
Course 2: Ph.D. Program in Engineering
The course will be focused on research areas such as rock excavation and simulation of mine design, clean coal technology, mine system engineering, environmental issues in the mining industry and so on.
- Eligibility: A Master’s degree in Mining/ Mechanical/ Electrical/ Civil/ Chemical/ Production/ Environmental Engineering or its equivalent good academic score who have secured a Masters Degree admission based on GATE.
- Entrance Exam: GATE
Course 3: Ph.D. Program in Science
The students will study topics such as gasification, coal biotechnology, coal beneficiation, environment and waste management, combustion science and technology and so on.
- Eligibility: Students who have completed their graduation in Msc/ MscTech/ ME/ M.Tech can apply. The candidate should also be having a valid National Level Fellowship (JRF/ SRF of various funding agencies, e.g. CSIR, UGC, DBT, DST, etc.), INSPIRE or other equivalent fellowships.
- Entrance Exam: GATE
Course 4: Summer Training Program
Summer Training Program at AcSIR provides an opportunity to spend one of your summers working at premier research Laboratories of CSIR with some of the leading scientists in India, in an environment which promotes trans-disciplinary research. The program is supported/ funded by AcSIR through its AcSIR-Kalam Fellowship.
- Eligibility: 1st year of 2-year M.Sc program: minimum first-class at B.Sc level or 3rd or 4th year of a 5-year Integrated M.Sc program: GPA 6.0 or 60% (upto IV Sem).
- Fellowship Details:
- Total number of Fellowships : 20*
- Duration: Two months; Between the months of May and August
- Amount of Fellowship: Rs. 25000/- per student for the duration of the program (payable after successful completion of the training program and submission of project report to the Laboratory Coordinator)
- Travel allowance to the selected student: Reimbursable to a maximum of Rs. 5000 per selected student
- This is a compulsorily Residential Program.
Read about CIMFR Course and Fee
CIMFR Admissions Procedure
The process of CIMFR Admissions includes 2 phases:
- Registration phase- Once you successfully register yourself, you will be receiving auto email on your email-id with login credentials and link to be redirected for further complete admission form fill-up process with unique Registration Number.
- Complete the Application form- It is divided into three steps:
- (a) Registration Step
- (b) Confirmation Step
- (c) Print Acknowledgement of Admission Receipt with Unique Form Number
Important dates of the admission process will be flashed on Admission Portal.
- Only one application is allowed for an applicant. If at any time, it is found that more than one application is filled by a candidate then the candidature will be summarily rejected.
- Short-listed candidates will be intimated electronically and they will be required to appear for an interview for selection at the designated centers on the dates announced.
- In addition to their academic performance and/or depending on the vacancies, the final selection will be based on the performance of the candidate in the aptitude test/ interview.
Read More CIMFR Admissions
CIMFR Unique Facilities
- National facilities for FLP, Intrinsic Safety, Explosive & Mining safety equipment testing.
- Testing facilities for coal & rock properties, environmental parameters, coal processing, monitoring of U/G mine’s geo-mining conditions.
- High temperature & pressure single tube fixed bed reactor, & pilot plants for coal processing.
- High-performance computing for large scale geo-mining modeling and simulation
- Scanning Electron Microscope
- Coal-to-liquid plant