Government Polytechnic for Women (GPTW) is a public/ government Institute located in Chandigarh, offering various specialized diploma courses. It was established by the State Government of Punjab to promote women education and it has earned the reputation as one of the best women polytechnic colleges in the area. It is affiliated to Punjab State Board of Technical Education and Industrial Training. The overall administrative control of the Institute rests with the Directorate of Technical Education, Chandigarh. The Institute is teamed with 35 full-time faculty for educating students.
GPTW Chandigarh Highlights
|Established | Institute Type||1962 | Government|
|Approved By||AICTE (All India Council for Technical Education) and PCI (Pharmacy Council of India)|
|Entrance Exam||PAT (Polytechnic Admission Test) and LEET (Lateral Entry Entrance Test)|
|Courses Offered||Diploma level courses in varied streams|
|Key Facilities||Library, Computer Lab, and Laboratories, etc.|
GPTW Chandigarh Courses
Various diploma courses with 3 years duration and Fees of around INR 19,975 are detailed below.
|Diploma Courses||Number of seats||Eligibility|
|Diploma in Pharmacy||40||10+2 in Science stream or any equivalent Exam with Maths, Science and English|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||40||X Passed with Science|
|Architectural Assistantship||40||X Passed with Science|
|Interior Design and Decoration||40||X Passed or any equivalent exam with Maths, Science and English|
|Modern Office Practice||30||XII Passed with Science/ Arts/ Commerce|
|Library & Information Science||30||X Passed with Science|
GPTW Chandigarh Admission
The admissions are done based on the rankings secured in PAT (Polytechnic Admission Test) and LEET (Lateral Entry Entrance Test). Further, Counselling will be conducted by State Board of Technical Education & Industrial Training Punjab, Chandigarh. Online applications need to be submitted to the concerned board.
- Fill the admission form of the Government Polytechnic for Women, Chandigarh by accessing https://gpwchd.edu.in/wp-content/themes/gpw/file/admission2015.pdf.
- Candidates have to apply and give the Chandigarh Entrance Polytechnic Exam conducted every year by PSBTE & IT.
- The admission is done through web counselling as per the marks in the qualifying exam. The vacant seats will be filled under management quota.
- 85% of the seat is filled from U.T. applicants and rest 15% from outside of Chandigarh.
- The Lateral Admission is done through LEET (Lateral Entry Entrance Test) for students having passed XII with Science Stream or equivalent Vocational Subject/ ITI.
- Allotment of seats is based on computer programs considering the merit of the candidate and Reservation category.
- Students can acquire more information from www.punjabteched.com.
GPTW Chandigarh Placements
There is a training and placement cell responsible for the placements of students. Every Year around 75% of students get placed in renowned organisations like Wheel King, Edu Launchers, Ind- Swift, NecLife, Job Suraksha, Nectar Pharmaceuticals, SAAKAAR Foundation, LRC Tech.The salary offer ranges between 10 K to 15 K per month and in some cases, it is even 20,000. Positions such as Technician, Technical Assistant, Assistant Librarian, Marketing and Sales Executive, Pharmacist, etc are offered through campus placements.
GPTW Chandigarh Scholarships
The Institute provides post- matric scholarships for students belonging to SC/ ST/ OBC, minority community and students with disabilities. The students getting scholarships also get a refund of fees. The students can also apply to National Level Scholarships and avail it.
GPTW Chandigarh Facilities
The Institute provides Hostel facilities, library, Cafeteria, and auditorium facilities for the students.
- Hostel Facility- The institute has three separate hostel buildings in the campus. About 150 students are being accommodated in the hostels. Separate hostel accommodation for girls and boys are available. Admission in the CIP Hostel is granted on a first come and first served basis. Outstation students are given preference. Both AC/ non-AC rooms are available.
- Computer Labs- The Institute has 3 computer labs for the students consisting of 40 computers. As most of the courses have computer applications the computers are equipped with the latest technology and software and come with the relevant programs required by the students.
- Library- The library is modernised, computerised and well equipped. The library has a collection of 18,000 books and documents including CDs that are latest and give the information related to courses as well as the required exams and their preparation. The institute also offers MHRD courses to the students.
- Auditorium- The auditorium has a capacity for 450 audiences and a 35 mm projector for the students to do various extracurricular activities.
GPTW Chandigarh Faculty
With Highly qualified faculty at the campus, the Government Polytechnic for Women College is committed to delivering successful professionals and making them industry relevant by imparting both theoretical as well as practical knowledge at a minimum fee. The Institute has a total of 50 full time faculty at present with 3 PhD holders, and 28 PG degree holders in different fields ranging from M. Tech, M. Sc, M. Com, M. Pharm, M.E., M. Arch. and M.A.
GPTW Chandigarh FAQs
Ques. Can I get lateral admission at GPTW Chandigarh?
Ques. Is Scholarship provided at GPTW Chandigarh?
Ques. How many seats are filled through Union Territory Quota in GPTW Chandigarh? Who takes the Entrance Exam?
Ques. Where is GPTW Chandigarh located? Does it have hostel facilities?
Ques. Since GPTW Chandigarh is a government institution, can we expect good facilities?
Ques. What are the documents needed while the GPTW Chandigarh admission takes place?
Ans. The following documents (self- attested) should be submitted along with the Admission Form:
- Qualifying Exam Admit Card and Score Card
- Class X result (photocopy)
- Class XII result (photocopy)
- Aadhar Card (photocopy)
- Domicile Certificate (if applicable; preference will be given to candidates belonging to Chandigarh)
- Income Certificate (if applicable)