Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology (IBAB), Bangalore is an autonomous institute established in 2001. It is set up by the Department of IT, BT and ST, Government of Karnataka. The institute offers PG Diploma, M.Sc., and PhD courses across various specializations. Students seeking admissions into IBAB will have to appear for an entrance exam conducted by the institute followed by an interview.
IBAB Bangalore also has an active placement cell that provides its students with employment opportunities in MNCs and prestigious institutes. Students can apply to the institute through the online application available on the official website.
IBAB Bangalore Highlights
|Established | Institute Type||2001 | Private|
|Approved by||Government of Karnataka|
|Set by||Department of IT, BT and ST, Government of Karnataka|
|Courses Offered||PG, PG Diploma and Ph.D.|
|Top Recruiters||Biocon, Eli Lilly, Novartis|
|Campus Area||20 Acres|
|Facilities Available||Library, Computer Labs, Hostel, Auditorium|
IBAB Bangalore Course
|M.Sc.||Biotechnology & Bioinformatics||
|PG Diploma||Big Data Biology||
|Infectious Disease Biology|
Read More: IBAB Bangalore Course and Fees
IBAB Bangalore Admissions
Candidates seeking admission will have to appear for an Entrance Examination conducted by the Institute. Shortlisted candidates will then be called for an Interview round.
How to apply?
- Candidates can apply online by visiting the Institute’s official website
- Fill in required details
- Upload documents such as mark sheets etc
- Pay the application fee. Students from India have to pay Rs.600/- for the application fee and students who are NRI/Foreign students have to pay Rs. 1200/-.
IBAB Bangalore Placements
A number of students have been placed through the placement drive organised by the institute. Some of them are faculty members at prestigious institutions. Many of them are in leading roles at multinational companies, among which some hold top positions in startups that have grown with their help and yet others have started their own companies. It has maintained a 95% or higher placement for each batch of students.
Given below is the list of companies and academic institutes where IBAB students have been placed:
|Cellworks Research||Philips Research Centre|
|GlaxoSmithKline||Strand Life Sciences|
IBAB Bangalore Scholarship
Through the funding it receives, IBAB is able to provide full/partial scholarships to meritorious and deserving candidates, at the time of admission. Selected students studying in the Post Graduate Diploma Programme in Big Data Biology are provided with a monthly stipend of Rs. 10,000. PhD candidates with their own fellowships are encouraged to apply. In addition, each year IBAB provides partial financial support to a selected few PhD students.
Given below are the name of a few student scholarships:
- The Nabanita Ghosh Scholarship
- The AstraZeneca Research Foundation of India
- DeNovo Biolabs Pvt. Ltd.
IBAB Bangalore Facilities
Students studying at IBAB can avail various facilities such as Library, state of the art classrooms, Laboratories.
- Library: IBAB Bangalore has an excellent library and is equipped with books, CDs and periodicals on a variety of subjects. Various academic journals, both print and online are also available. The literature section also has hundreds of books on fiction, travel, poetry, biographies and other genres.
- Wifi-enabled Classrooms: The classrooms are AV enabled, provide wifi, and have laptop-friendly seating. They have air-conditioned research and student laboratories and moreover, each student is provided with a high-end computer, which has access to high-speed internet.
- Laboratories: The wet-laboratories are well-equipped with instruments required for high quality research.
- Hostel: The institute has separate hostel facilities for male and female students studying at IBAB. The hostels have well-furnished spacious rooms, a gymnasium and a number of pantries.
- Auditorium: The institute has a state-of-art auditorium in which many seminars and lectures by eminent speakers are conducted. The auditorium also has a video conferencing systems available.
IBAB Bangalore Faculty
The faculty at IBAB Bangalore is highly qualified, knowledgeable and experienced. Apart from mentoring and teaching the students, IBAB’s faculty is also actively engaged in high quality research in various areas.
S. Subramanya is the Director in the field of Biocon Chair Structural Biology and Drug Discovery.
The institute has a total of 13 faculty Scientists teaching across various streams.
IBAB Bangalore FAQs
Ques. What is the fee for PhD at IBAB Bangalore?
Ans. For PhD programme no fees is charged by IBAB. However, the candidate has to pay the necessary fees to MAHE or TDU as per the universities’ guidelines.
Ques. Where is IBAB Bangalore located?
Ans: Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology (IBAB) is located in the southern part of the City of Bengaluru and is a part of Biotech Park. The full address is: Biotech Park, Electronics City Phase I, Bengaluru 560 100, India
Ques. What are the contact details for IBAB Bangalore?
Ans. Interested candidates can either visit the official website of the institute i.e. www.ibab.ac.in Or get in touch through Telephone/ Fax: Tel: 080-285 289 00, 080-285 289 01, 080-285 289 02
Fax: 080-285 289 04
Or through email:
Email ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ques. What is the exam pattern of M.Sc Entrance Test?
Ans. IBAB Bangalore conducts an online objective-type test for granting admission in M.Sc. course. The questions are based on basic Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology and English Comprehension. There is no negative marking for an incorrect answer.
Ques. What is the age limit for getting admission in IBAB Bangalore?
Ans. For getting admission at IBAB there is no age bar. Candidates who dropped for work can also continue their education at IBAB.
Ques. Does IBAB Bangalore provide any scholarships?
Ans: The institute provides various scholarships for the selected candidates from the funding it receives. Selected students studying in the Post Graduate Diploma Programme in Big Data Biology are provided with a monthly stipend of Rs. 10,000.
Ques. How can we pay the fees at IBAB Bangalore?
Ans. All fees can be paid through cash, NEFT or by a Demand Draft (DD) drawn in favour of ‘Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology’ payable at Bengaluru. NEFT details are given below.
Name of the Account: Institute of Bioinformatics & Applied Biotechnology
Account No: 036005011787
Type of Account: Current Account
Name of the Bank : ICICI
Bank Branch: Electronic City
IFSC Code : ICIC0000360