Institute of Nano Science and Technology (also known as INST) is an autonomous institute which was established in the year of 2013 under the guidance of “NANO MISSION” by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India. with a vision of promoting research and development in the area of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology as well as develop low-cost affordable devices in the healthcare sector. It provides various research programmes such as Ph.D., Post-Doctoral, Research Internship and Project fellows programmes to the interested candidates.
The students are enrolled in the courses on the basis of good academic record and rank obtained in the qualifying examination like GATE/CSIR or UGC-NET/JEST/JGEEBILS (TIFR/NCBS)/ICMR-JRF/DBT-JRF/DST-INSPIRE/GPAT.
Institute of Nano Science and Technology Highlights
|Established | Institute Type||2013 | Public|
|Set by||Government of India|
|Entrance Exam||GATE/CSIR or UGC-NET/JEST/JGEEBILS (TIFR/NCBS)/ICMR-JRF/DBT-JRF/DST-INSPIRE/GPAT|
|Courses Offered||4 Courses across 1 stream|
|Popular Courses||Ph. D, Post-Doctoral, Research Internship, Project Fellowship|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance Exam|
|Campus Area||35 Acres|
|Affiliated to||Department of Science and Technology,|
|Facilities Available||Library, Research laboratories, State-of-art instruments, Seminar hall, Auditorium|
Institute of Nano Science and Technology Courses
Details of courses offered by INST are given below:
|Ph. D||Subjects: Sensors, materials for energy applications (photo catalysts, electrocatalyst, supercapacitors, Nanoscience and Technology like devices, hydrogen generation & storage, Smart materials(organic/inorganic), Therapeutics etc.
Duration: 2 Years
Eligibility: candidates should have done M. Sc in Chemistry/Physics/Material Science/Life Science, M. Pharm, M.Tech in Basic, Applied Sciences or Engineering. Also, candidates need to pass entrance examinations such as GATE/CSIR or UGC-NET/JEST/JGEEBILS (TIFR/NCBS)/ICMR-JRF/DBT-JRF/DST-INSPIRE/GPAT.
|Research Internship||Subjects: Sensors, supercapacitors, materials for energy applications (photo catalysts, electrocatalyst, hydrogen generation & storage), Smart materials(organic/inorganic), Therapeutics, Nanoscience and Technology like devices, etc.
Duration: Minimum 3 months- Maximum 12 months
Eligibility: Candidates from Basic Sciences/Applied Sciences/Engineering institutes/Universities pursuing master’s degree M.Sc., /M. Pharm./M. Tech for full time are eligible for Internship. Moreover, candidates who are from bachelor’s degree also eligible but only few bright students considered for internship
Institute of Nano Science and Technology Admissions
Institute of Nano Science and Technology allots seats on the basis of rank obtained by the students in entrance exam such as GATE/CSIR or UGC-NET/JEST/JGEEBILS (TIFR/NCBS)/ICMR-JRF/DBT-JRF/DST-INSPIRE/GPAT. The eligibility criteria, application fee and application process followed for enrolment is different for both the programmes Ph. D and Internship, given below:
- Candidates can apply online via visiting the official website of the Institute (https://www.inst.ac.in/).
- Application procedure is different for both the programmes.
Institute of Nano Science and Technology Application Procedure for Ph.D
Following below are the steps which have to be followed by the candidate for applying for admission in INST:
- The application form is available on the official website of the institute https://www.inst.ac.in/careers.php . Candidates can download it and fill in all the information correctly.
- Candidates should send the duly filled application form and Synopsis on email@example.com as advance copy.
- After that candidate needs to send some documents along with application form on the permanent address of the institute before the due date. Address of the institute is “The Director, Institute of Nano Science and Technology, Habitant Centre, Phase – 10, Sector-64, Mohali, Punjab-160062”.
- The shortlisted candidates will be asked for an interview at the college campus. After that, a list of shortlisted candidates will be uploaded on the official website of the institute, and send confirmation e-mail at the email address mentioned in the application form by the candidate.
- Candidate’s fare will be paid by the institute on the day of the interview. It includes Sleeper class rail fare or Non- Ac bus fare(on the production of tickets) from place of residence to institute and back.
- Candidates should visit the official website of the institute for the latest developments.
- Candidate’s photograph
- Educational qualifications(Mark Sheet, Degrees and Certificate of +1 & +2).
- Experience Certificate in case of working candidate.
- Valid self-attested copies of SC/ST/OBC/PH category certificate.
Institute of Nano Science and Technology Application Process for Internship Programmes:
- Candidates from any Basic Sciences/Applied Sciences/Engineering Institutes/Universities can apply for a research internship provided by the supervisor or scientist at INST agrees to provide the training and facility for the Internship at INST. Scientist which is provided to the selected candidate is different from the student's preference due to many reasons.
- Interested candidates can apply for an internship by filling the online application form.
- Mobile Scan copy or poor quality of documents will not be accepted and can lead to rejection. Also, all the required documents must be uploaded at the time of filling the application form.
- The applications are checked by the higher authorities and the selected candidates through email approximately within the duration of the one month after the application deadline.
Institute of Nano Science and Technology Intership’s Important Details:
|Name of Internship Programme||Application Date (every year)||Duration of the Internship Programme|
|Summer Internship||1st March – 21st March||May-July|
|Short Term||1st April- 21st April||June-December (3-6 Months)|
|Short Term||1st November- 21st November||January – June (3-6 months)|
|Research Internship||Applications are accepted round of the year||1 year|
Institute of Nano Science and Technology Facilities
Institute of Nano Science and Technology provides all the facilities which are required in the research institute such as Research laboratories, well qualified staff, congenial environment, library, canteen etc. Also, INST shares facilities with IISER. To know more about facilities available at INST:
- Research Lab: Research lab at Institute of Nano Science and Technology is commonly known as ‘FARADAY LAB’. It consists of all the instruments which are required for doing research in the Nanoscience and Nanotechnology field. It has Transmission Electron Microscope (TEM), Atomic Force Microscope (AFM), Scanning Electron Microscope(SEM), Powder X-Ray Diffractometer, Digital DC source meter, Nanodrop Spectrometer, Rheometer, FTIR, TGA, DTA, DSC, Surface Profiler and many more equipment. INST gives the facility to the students that they can check the booked slot through online via clicking on the equipment name.
- Library: Institute of Nano Science and Technology has a collection of 400 books in the library related to Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. Out of 400, 41 books are placed in the Director’s office and rest are available in the library.
- Computer Centre: The students of INST are provided with a facility of computer centre in which they get an average speed of about 1 Gbps, for their study-related/research related work.
Institute of Nano Science and Technology Faculty
Institute of Nano Science and Technology has a well qualified and experienced group of staff members. All the staff members did Ph. D and published many research papers in the field of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology along with patents. Prof. Amitava Patra is the Director of Institute of Nano Science and Technology, Mohali.
- Total number of Faculty (Scientists):36
- Administrative Staff:14
- Total number of PhDs: 149
Institute of Nano Science and Technology FAQs
Ques. What are the major thrust areas of research at Institute of Nano Science and Technology, Mohali?
Ques. How many departments/units are there in INST?
Ques. Does INST- Institute of Nano Science and Technology provide any programs in the stream of arts and science?
Ques. Does INST provide Hostel facility to the students?
Ques. Does INST organize any workshops, guest lectures for the students in the field of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology?