National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health (NIRRH) is a research institute of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR). It was established in 1970 in Mumbai by combining two ICMR units, the Reproductive Physiology Unit and the Contraceptive Testing Unit. The institute offers degrees to M.Sc. and Ph.D. students in various disciplines. Additionally it provides summer/winter training for the students.
The institute is affiliated to the University of Mumbai. Admissions are offered on the basis of Entrance Exam conducted by University of Mumbai/ GATE/SET/CSIR-UGC NET/ JRF or NEST with Graduation. The candidates should acquire a minimum 60% for General Category and 55% for SC/ST Category. The institute provides Fellowship for the candidates who have passed the JRF exam.
NIRRH Mumbai Highlights
|Established | Institute Type||1970 | Autonomous|
|Approved by||University of Mumbai|
|Set By||Indian Council of Medical Research|
|Entrance Exam||GATE / SET / CSIR-UGC NET/ JRF / NEST|
|Courses Offered||Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Biotechnology and M.Sc. in Applied Biology, Biochemistry, Life Science|
|Admission Criteria||Merit Based & Entrance Exam|
|Facilities Available||Clinics, Experimental Animal Facility, Infrastructure/Equipment and Library.|
|Director of Institute||Dr. Smita.D.Mahale|
NIRRH Mumbai Courses
|M.Sc.||Applied Biology||2 years||Candidates must have completed their Bachelor’s of Science Degree (10+2+3) system with 60% marks for general category and 55% for SC/ST/PH category.
|Ph.D.||Biochemistry||3 years||Candidates must have completed their Post Graduation in any branch of Life Science with 60% for General Category and 55% for SC/ST Category. The candidate should clear any of the Entrance Examination mentioned by the institute.|
The University provides Research Programs in following areas:
- Fertility Regulation, Infertility and Reproductive Disorders.
- HIV / STIs / RTIs, Maternal and Child Health.
- Immunology and Microbiology.
- Reproductive cancers, Osteoporosis and Genetic Disorders
- Stem Cell Biology, Structural Biology, Bioinformatics and Reproductive Toxicology.
Read More: Click here
NIRRH Mumbai Admissions
Admissions for the courses of National Institute of Research and Reproductive Health, Mumbai are based upon the Entrance Exam and merit based followed by the interview through Online Mode only. NIRRH finalizes the candidates based upon their performance in the Exam and Interview.
How to Apply?
Candidates can follow the following process for admission:
- The application form for the admission will be released by the official website in the month of June.
- Candidates should fill this form with required documents till the start of July and should submit it online.
- Candidates should submit the printed form of application along with the non-refundable fund of 300 INR to the NIRRH, Mumbai through offline mode.
- The Candidates have to participate in the Entrance Exam of MCQ’s through online mode.
- Based upon their performance and their previous attainments, the institute selects few Candidates.
- The names of the selected candidates will be displayed on the official website of the institute and are called for the interviews.
- The final selection would be based on the performance of candidates in the interview.
Cut off 2019 ICMR – JRF
|Category||Expected Cut-Off Marks|
Criteria for Admission:
- Candidates applying for the Course should be an Indian Citizen.
- Reservation will be as per the UGC rules followed by the University of Mumbai.
NIRRH Mumbai Placements
The institute provides great opportunities for jobs with high stipend and job security through internships and training programs. There are a number of job opportunities in Research after Ph.D. and M.Sc. courses. There are many renowned companies offering job opportunities for the students. Students can also apply for Junior Fellow Research and many more research programs. Many students get jobs in the teaching field as junior or assistant positions.
Read more: Click here
NIRRH Mumbai Fellowships
The institute provides scholarships or fellowships to students who qualify the requirements of the institution. Indian Council of Medical Research also provides much fellowship for the deserved candidates.
- The selected Candidates who have passed the JRF exam conducted by UGC/ICMR/CSIR can get the fellowship as per the rules of respective agency.
- The institutional fellowship is provided for the non-fellowship holders of INR 8,000 per month for only 2 Years.
- Senior Research Fellowship is provided to the students who are pursuing their M.Sc. Course for 3 Years with INR 20,000 per annum.
NIRRH Mumbai Facilities
The institute provides many required facilities for the students who are pursuing education.
- Clinics: The institute has 7 clinics for practice and research of different aspects of courses. They are as follows:
- Family Welfare Clinic provides Services for counseling on various contraceptives, creating awareness, screening and treatment of RTIs, pelvic ultrasonography for women, etc and for Research.
- Adolescent Family Centre mainly provides services for sexual and reproductive health and other concerns of married as well as unmarried adolescents and youth.
- Women’s Clinic provides services such as gynecological complaints, family planning, infertility, menstrual problems among women and girls.
- PCOS Clinic is dedicated for women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS).
- Bone Health Clinic creates awareness about osteoporosis and provides services such as DXA test, Specialized Knee OPDs, Specialized Spine OPDs and many more.
- Genetics Counseling Clinic provides counseling, genetic screening and prenatal diagnosis for common genetic disorders.
- Infertility and Reproductive Endocrinology Clinic offers diagnostic, therapeutic service for infertility, recurrent pregnancy loss and related reproductive disorders.
- Experimental Animal Facility: The institute provides animal facility which is distributed in an area around 8000 sq ft. with qualified veterinarians and skilled animal care staff for the Research and Study.
- Infrastructure / Equipments: The institute provides required equipment for the staff and the students for the Research and study of their courses. The instruments can be used after the prior permission from the respective Staff and Department. There are a total of 9 high tech and well maintained equipment in the institute.
- Library: The institute has a well maintained Library distributed in an area around 2500 sq ft. with exclusive collection of books, journals, database, reports, etc on subjects of all the courses and reproductive health.
NIRRH Mumbai Faculty
Dr. Smita D. Mahale is the Director of the institute. She has completed her M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Biochemistry and is serving as Scientist in NIRRH from 1981. The institution has well qualified and highly experienced faculty for the courses. Dr. Sanjay L Chauhan is the member of Operational Research. He has completed his MBBS and is very experienced and working as a scientist in NIRRH.
There are many highly Qualified and experienced people work here as a faculty member and provide best education for the students of courses. Some of them are-
- Dr. Jayanti Mania Pramanik (Ph.D. and M.Sc. in Zoology) working as Scientist G in Infectious Disease Biology Department.
- Dr. Lalita Shankar Savardekar (MBBS) as Scientist of Department of Clinical Research.
- Dr.Nafisa H. Balasinor (M.Sc. and Ph.D. in Biochemistry) as Scientist F of Neuroendocrinology Department.
- Dr. Vikas Dighe (M.V.Sc. and Ph.D. in Animal Biotechnology) as a Scientist E of National Centre for Preclinical Reproductive & Genetic Toxicology.
- Dr. Srabhani Mukherjee (M.Sc. in Physiology and Ph.D. in Biochemistry) as Scientist F in Molecular Endocrinology Department.
- Departments – 15
- Scientific Staff – 42
- Technical Staff – 146
- Administration Staff – 34
Read more: Click here
Ques. What are other colleges in comparison to NIRRH?
Ans. Other colleges in comparison with these colleges are Central Institute of Cotton Research, Nagpur or National Centre for Cell Science, Pune or TATA Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai or National Institute of Virology, Pune and many more.
Ques. What are the Documents required at the time of application?
Ans. The documents required are education certificates of 10+2+3 for M.Sc. and 10+2+3+2 for Ph.D. along with Birth Certificate, Aadhar Card copy and photograph and other required documents provided by the institute. Other documents may be required for the candidates who are applying from the reservation category.
Ques. Are Recruitments available in the institution?
Ans. Yes, Every year vacancies for different posts are released on the official website of NIRRH.
Ques. Are Hostel facilities available in the Hostel?
Ans. Yes, Hostels are available only for girls who are from different cities and pursuing their education in this institute.
Ques. How is the M.Sc. in Biochemistry?
Ans. The institute provides a current market with a value added curriculum. The courses are very well updated and cover all the aspects of the field. The institute conducts all the required practical and research.