Northern Institute of Fashion Technology, Mohali was established in 1995 by the department of Industries & Commerce, Government of Punjab. NIIFT has two branches in Jalandhar and Ludhiana. The Institute works under the strategic guidance of senior government’s officials and team of specialists. NIFT is counted among the premier Institutes of India for providing best standards of education.
- To provide groomed and nurtured professionals to the garment industry
- It offers programs in the field of Fashion design, Textile design and Fashion design knits at undergraduate level with up to 180 seats. It also offers program like M.Sc Garment Manufacturing Technology for post graduate students with overall 60 seats
- To provide expertise to industry which is rather instrumental in the context of our national aim of strengthening its potential of generating foreign exchange earnings and generating employment
- It also offers programs for the Information Technology students with all latest software’s, hardware’s and network facilities
- It believes in providing practical knowledge to the students rather than theoretical. So, organizes various events, seminars time to time
Reservation of seats
Schedule Castes SC
Schedule Tribe ST
Physically Handicapped PH
Foreign National/ NRI NRI
- Craft Documentation: Craft documentation forms an important part of the curriculum of Fashion Design course in the second semester. The survey enables the students to interact with the craftsmen in their habitats and get the first hand knowledge of the art and crafts
- Industry Internship: After the fourth semester the students are required to undertake a six weeks industry internship program wherein they work either in the industry or under a well known designer
The Institute has built numerous workshops of Draping, Garment Construction, Pattern making, well equipped Weaving Lab, Dyeing & Printing lab, Knitting lab along with force of teaching professionals to serve best education to the students
- Well equipped library with the large variety of books and journals which are helpful for providing services to Industry & fashion Professionals
- Library comprises of latest & old fashion related arts books, Audio- visual CD’s and journals
The institute has provided excellent hostel accommodations to the outstation girls with all modern facilities.
- Well equipped with latest software and Wi-Fi enabled network, NIIFT computer labs are modern and adequate to meet curricula requirements.
- Special computer labs with latest apparel industry software such as Tukatech, Tuka Studio, Colour Matters, ERP Software (GEMS), Wins (Textile Software) etc have been created for industry-oriented training
It has Weaving Lab, Knitting Lab and Dyeing & Printing Lab and also has a skilled work force to assist design & technology students in their learning
Anukama: Graduating Design Collection Show (Anukama) The final collection is a virtual reality of the hard work and toil of the students of the final semester. The process of making the collections starts from inspirations to conceptualization followed by sourcing, developing the prototype, sewing. The collections are adjudged by a jury comprising of designers and industry experts.
- Ranked at 9th amongst the top ten Fashion Colleges of India (Source : India Today 2014)
- Ranked at 6th amongst the top ten Fashion Colleges of India (Source : India Today 2013)
- Ranked at 10th amongst the top ten Fashion Colleges of India (Source : Outlook 2012)