Certificate Course in Computer Application is a specialized Diploma course in the domain of computer and IT related applications. The course can be pursued by a candidate after completing his/her graduation. The certificate program in computer application is a vocational program in the domain that aims at improving the skill set of the graduate so as to enhance his/her employability credentials in the market.
Some of the popular institutes/colleges offering the diploma level course are:
- Integrated Institute of Education Technology
- Bhagwati Educational Trust
- Maharaja Agarsen College for Women
- Guru Nanak Dev University
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Co-operative Management
- Aarti Institute of Professional Studies
- Acharya Narendra Dev College
- Aplomb Institute
- Dr. Zakir Husain Institute
- Florence Polytechnic
Admission to the course is done on merit basis that is the aggregate percentage of marks obtained by the candidate at graduation or equivalent level examinations. Colleges/Institutes offering the course demand a minimum of 50% marks (Relaxable for reserved category candidates) at graduation or equivalent level (with Mathematics as a subject of study at 10+2 or graduation level).
Certificate course in Computer Applications is a skill-based certification which provides operational knowledge and skills to the students in a manner such that they are able to execute their learning in a practical sense. Students are equipped with hands-on knowledge of the subject during the tenure.
The average annual fee for the course in India varies from INR 5,500 to INR 20,000 among various colleges and institutes across the country that are offering this course. The variation in the fee is based on the location and type of college/institute that is private/deemed or government.
A certificate program in Computer Application pass out students can look for a variety of options in terms of his/her career. He/she can opt to work with firms such as IBM, Polaris, Wipro, TCS etc. One can also choose to go for a higher degree in the discipline before entering the job market so, as to further enhance the knowledge.
Certificate course in Computer Application Highlights
|Duration of the Course||6 Months (Minimum)-1 Year(Maximum)|
|Examination Type||Semester/Final exams at the end of year|
|Eligibility||Graduation or equivalent pass out students with a minimum of 50% from a recognized university.|
|Admission Process||Merit Based/Entrance exam (in few cases)|
|Course Fee||Between INR 5,500 and INR 20,000|
|Average Starting Salary||Rs.10,000 to 15,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||IBM, Polaris, Wipro, TCS, Satyam computers etc.|
|Job Positions||Trouble-shooter, System Analyser, DBMS Manager, Network designer, Assistant programmer etc.|
Certificate course in Computer Application: What is it about?
Application of Computer and IT has revolutionized the way we look at the world today. From social networking to business, it compasses all walks of life in the modern day society. Smooth working and uninterrupted flow of information through ICT and computing tools is the sine qua non for today’s first paced lifestyle.
Managing the flow of data and ICT system requires a workforce that has hands-on practice on various aspects of computer application based setups. That is a team of professionals which is academically sound as well as carries an industry relevant skill-set is what that is desired.
A certificate course in computer applications provides that requisite skill set to graduate students that transform them into a trained professional. The course with its learning through practicing approach enhances the vocational abilities of the student thus making them apt for industrial absorption.
Top Institutes offering the Certificate Course in Computer Application
Certificate course in Computer Application is offered by a good number of colleges/institutes across the country to candidates who have passed their graduation/ equivalent examination from a recognized university.
Students can take admission in the course by applying to various institutes offering this course based on their performance at graduation or equivalent level examinations.
For your reference, we have tabulated various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Institute||City||Average Annual Fee|
|Integrated Institute of Education Technology||Hyderabad||INR 8,250|
|Bhagwati Educational Trust||Chandigarh||INR 9,000|
|Maharaja Agarsen College for Women||Jhajjar||INR 7,100|
|Guru Nanak Dev University||Amritsar||INR 3,500|
|Indira Gandhi Institute of Co-operative Management||Lucknow||INR 5,325|
|Aarti Institute of Professional Studies||Dwarka||INR 12,712|
|Acharya Narendra Dev College||Govindpuri||INR 5, 505|
|Aplomb Institute||New Delhi||INR 11,000|
|Dr. Zakir Husain Institute||New Delhi||INR 6,500|
|Florence Polytechnic||New Delhi||INR 14,225|
Interested candidates can make an application for admission in the course in the above-mentioned institutes and colleges. Students can also search for an option in face of institutes offering the course in their local region/region of residence in case they are not willing to relocate for the purpose of their studies or are working.
Eligibility for Certificate Course in Computer Application
- Candidates must have passed graduation or equivalent level (with Mathematics as a subject of study at 10+2 or graduation level) examination from a recognized university.
- He/she must have obtained at least 50% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) of the marks at graduation or equivalent level.
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the subject/subjects at graduation or equivalent level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges/institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission (like work experience in the domain).
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
Certificate Course in Computer Application Admission Process
Certificate course in Computer Applications course admission is mostly based on a merit-based criterion for selection with a select few institutes/colleges going for CET based admissions. For ease of understanding, we have mentioned the detailed procedure below. Please have a look at that.
- Students who have passed graduation or equivalent level (with Mathematics as a subject of study at 10+2 or graduation level) examination from a recognized university.
- A merit list of candidates is prepared (out of the total candidates who have applied) and candidates are invited for admission process by the respective institute or college.
- After final allotment of seats, the candidates are asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
- The new academic year begins after the completion of all the above processes.
In most of the colleges, the admission process is a straightforward task which would involve merit-based admission in the course. However, certain institutes, colleges go for a CET based admission process.
Certificate Course in Computer Application: Syllabus and Course description
The course is divided into two semesters/final exams spanning over a duration of 6 months (one year in some cases). The syllabus of the course is designed in a manner so as to teach all the basic technicalities of the domain to the students in a gradual manner.
The details regarding the syllabus are tabled below for your reference.
|Subjects of Study|
|Advanced Computer Architecture|
|Computer graphics and Multimedia|
|Advanced operating system|
|Practical lab and Viva-Voce|
Certificate Course in Computer Application: Who Should Opt?
Candidates aspiring for the course should possess the below-mentioned points.
- Students who have a background in the domain of computer at 10+2 or graduation level.
- Those who have interest in the domain of computer application based studies.
- Those who are looking for a technical and skills-based job.
- Those who are looking for higher studies in the domain.
Certificate Course in Computer Application: Career Prospects
Certification in computer application pass out candidate can avail a good number of opportunities in terms of his/her career. One can choose to work as Trouble-shooter, System Analyzer, DBMS Manager, Network designer, Assistant programmer etc. To enhance the skill set and work experience, one can also look for an internship with good and reputed firms during the course of their certification studies. This would provide an insight into the work culture in the industry to the student.
To provide a holistic view of the career prospects of the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where students can look for in terms of their career after getting certification.
|Job Profile||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Troubleshooter||A Troubleshooter is involved in providing assistance to the clients in regards to resolution of a technical issue either on phone or through a physical visit to client’s place.||INR 1.94-2.16 Lacs|
|System analyzer||The job involves organization and structuring of the computing system of the firm after finding certain enhancement methods through overall analysis.||INR 2.21-2.55 Lacs|
|DBMS Manager||The job involves proper structuring, management and organization of company’s database through ICT based tools.||INR 2.24-2.57 Lacs|
|Network Engineer||Network engineer is involved in designing the network structure blueprint that is required for the effective flow of data through the network.||INR 2-2.25 Lacs|
|Assistant Programmer||The job involves providing assistance to the senior programmer in face of testing and coding operations.||INR 1.82-2.08 Lacs|