Hamburg University of Applied Sciences: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Hamburg University of Applied Sciences, also known as the ‘HAW’, was established in 1970. Around 17,049 students study at the Hamburg University of Applied Sciences. Among them are 2,550 international students coming from over 100 different countries. Thus, international students form around 14.9% of the total student population at the university.
Hamburg University of Applied Sciences offers admissions to 38 bachelor’s degree programs and 33 master’s degree programs. The university accepts applications for the summer and winter semesters. Students need to submit the documents in paper format. The documents submitted through email are not accepted.
The university has entered into a partnership with 200 higher education institutions globally. Each year, the university offers numerous scholarships to deserving and qualified students.
Hamburg University of Applied Sciences Rankings
Universities are ranked as per their performance and calculated multiple indicators. Here are the rankings of Hamburg University of Applied Sciences 2021:
- The university has been ranked #67 in the country.
- Hamburg University of Applied Sciences ranked #1262 in the world.
|Type of institute||Public university|
|Year of establishment||1970|
|Mode of application||Online|
|Intake seasons||Summer and winter|
|Language of teaching||Germany, English or both|
|Financial aid||Grants and scholarships available|
|English language proficiency scores||TOEFL, IELTS|
Hamburg University of Applied Sciences Campus
Hamburg is a city on the water which is ranked one of the top 20 most livable cities across the world.
The Hamburg University of Applied Sciences is distributed in four different campuses across the city.
- Berliner Tor Campus – the main campus of the university
- Bergedorf Campus
- Hamburg Art and Media Campus – the youngest campus of the university
- Armgart Strasse Campus
|Campus name||Basic facilities available|
|Berliner Tor Campus||Libraries, laboratories, computer rooms, Canteen, cafes and dorms, student centre|
|Bergedorf Campus||Library, cafes, leisure areas, dorm|
|Hamburg Art and Media Campus||Studios, laboratories and workshops, cafeteria and cafe, schools, community channel and training channel|
|Armgart Strasse Campus||Studios, sewing rooms, dorms, cafeteria and cafe|
Hamburg University of Applied Sciences Accommodation
- Student service halls of residence or dorms are available at the university campuses.
- Studierendenwerk Hamburg offers accommodation on a large scale.
- Some of the halls of residence at Studierendenwerk Hamburg have furnished standard rooms that cost almost 250 Euro each month.
- The students prefer to opt for the university dorms due to their cost-effectiveness.
- The residences have well-furnished rooms and shared kitchens and bathrooms.
- If you do not wish to live in a dormitory, shared apartments and private residences are always an option.
- Besides these, there are many other housing units in Hamburg that are managed by religious or other non-profit organisations and offer accommodation to the students.
Hamburg University of Applied Sciences Courses
- Hamburg University of Applied Sciences offers numerous bachelor's and master's programs in subjects like Health and nutrition, design, IT, economy, social issues, information and media sciences, and technology and applied sciences.
- The university also offers 3 cooperative degree programs, 4 professional continuing education degree programs, and 3 bachelor’s degrees with courses with the University of Shanghai, for Science and Technology.
- MBA is one of the popular masters’ courses among the students who look to study MBA in Germany.
- The programs are offered in German, English, or both languages.
- 34 Master's programs (including three further education programs) are taught at the university.
The university offers the programs under the following faculties –
- Faculty of design media and information
- Faculty of life sciences
- Faculty of technology and computer science
- Faculty of business and social affairs
- An individual can apply for part-time, full-time, dual study or a continuing education course.
Hamburg University of Applied Sciences Admissions
Application portal- Online portal at the official website
Application fee- Free
Application deadline- Deadlines for international applicants are as follows:
|Winter semester||June 1 to July 15|
|Winter semester master’s programs (international students)||February 15 to March 31|
|Summer semester||December 1 to January 15|
Application process at Hamburg University of Applied Sciences can be classified in the following steps:
- Choosing a course.
- Preparing for admissions – Collecting all the required documents and getting the essential information regarding the admissions.
- Applying for admissions.
- Accepting the study place.
Required documents –
- University entrance qualification
- APS certificate (if applicable)
- Language certificate
- Course-specific requirements (if any)
Language proficiency –
|Tests results accepted (German)||Minimum score expected|
|Goethe institute certificate||C1|
|DSH from a German University||DSH2 or DSH3|
|Tests results accepted (English)||Minimum score expected|
Hamburg University of Applied Sciences Cost of Attendance
Tuition fee – The Hamburg University of Applied Sciences does not charge a tuition fee for most of the courses.
Semester fee and other similar fees –
|Entity||Fee (in EUR)|
|Student body (AStA)||18.50|
|Semester ticket hardness fund||4.50|
- Other fees and contribution –
|Entity||Fee (in EUR)|
|External final examinations||600|
Accommodation costs – The residence offered by the university cost from around 250- 350 Euro, based on the kind of accommodation option one chooses.
Hamburg University of Applied Sciences Scholarships
The students at the Hamburg University of Applied Sciences get financial help through BAFoG and other scholarships. Some of the scholarships offered to the international students are –
|Scholarships||Summer semester Deadline||Winter semester Deadline||Eligibility criteria||Worth (EUR)|
|Performance grant||March 30||September 30||Average grade not less than 2.2; Completed two semesters in a bachelor's program or one semester in the master's program;
Not receiving BAFoG benefits.
|Engagement grant||March 30||September 30||Completed at least two semesters at HAW, Hamburg; An average grade of at least 2.5;
Volunteer in the international context
|DAAD award||June 14||-||Advanced stage in the degree course; An average grade of at least 1.9;
Volunteer experience; Not received any DAAD award
Hamburg University of Applied Sciences Alumni Network
- The alumni of the Hamburg University of Applied Sciences enjoy a lot of privileges.
- A university graduate must register himself or herself as an alumnus of the institute if he or she wants to get any of the benefits.
- The alumni receive an alumni card by post on registration. This card offers alumni a discount on many events and services related to the university.
- Besides, it acts as proof of identity at various events conducted by the Hamburg University of Applied Sciences.
- The alumni can attend career service events and start-up service events. They can also use the alumni round table.
- The university alumni can participate in the sports events of the university under special terms.
Some of the notable alumni are –
- Christiane Arp – German journalist
- Simon Schwartz – German illustrator
- Jutta Bauer – German writer
- Jochen Hein – German painter
Hamburg University of Applied Sciences Placements
- The university is devoted to helping the students with their job placements, and thus provides Career Services for students. By holding hundreds of events and workshops in educating students seeking jobs, Hamburg University of Applied Sciences acts as a stepping stone.
- Other than this, the university also assists in Start-ups Services, supporting the ventures of students to help take their career to the next level.
- The university also provides opportunities for internships.The university offers its students internship opportunities during the courses.
- A student can take up a part-time job while studying.
- The best way to search jobs in Hamburg is to use the Stellenwerk Hamburg portal.
- Numerous leading companies like Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and Airbus appoint students during the summer months which offers a good opportunity to get practical experience while continuing their studies.
FIND A PROGRAM