Kiel University of Applied Sciences: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Founded in 1969, Kiel University of Applied Sciences was established as a result of the merger of several engineering and technical colleges run by the state and proved its academic excellence for more than 100 years. It is the largest institution of its kind in Schleswig-Holstein with the main campus offering a direct view of the waterfront of Kiel firth.
Programs offered at Kiel University of Applied Sciences include around 40 supplementary degrees, bachelor’s and master’s degrees, extra-occupational and continuing education courses.
|Cost of Attendance||964 €|
|Mode of Program||Full time, part-time, online|
|Financial Aid||Offered only within the international exchange programs.|
Kiel University of Applied Sciences Courses
- At Kiel, students can choose from 37 bachelor's and master's degrees and continuing education programs.
- The areas of study offered at the university are agricultural economics, computer science and electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, media, Institute for construction in the media department, social work and health, and economy.
- All courses at Kiel University of Applied Sciences are international-oriented with the integration of foreign languages.
- To prepare students for their professional life, there is an active student exchange in 100 universities in 40 countries.
- Through the Virtual University of Applied Sciences, Kiel is able to offer accredited online courses such as bachelor’s in Business Administration and Information Systems, online master’s degrees in Industrial Engineering, etc.
Kiel University of Applied Sciences Campus
- The campus of Kiel University is situated in two locations: Kiel, capital of state Schleswig-Holstein, and Osterrönfeld, near the City of Rendsburg.
- The Faculties of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Media, Social Work and Health, and Business Management are located on the main campus of Kiel city.
- The Faculty of Agriculture is located in Osterrönfeld campus.
- Facilities offered to the students include a central library, cafeteria, sports activities, CampusTv, and CampusRadioAktiv.
- The Botanical Institute of Kiel University consists of the beautiful Botanic Gardens, which is one of the prominent attractive places situated at the campus.
Kiel University of Applied Sciences Residence
- On-campus accommodation facilities are offered by the university at 9 residence halls/ dormitories located near the campus in Kiel and are operated by the Studentenwerk of the university.
- Studentenwerk offers dormitories for students in Schleswig-Holstein.
- There are single apartments, single rooms in shared apartments, single rooms on the corridor, and barrier-free apartments.
- The rent includes operating costs of water, heating, and electricity.
- Rooms may be furnished or unfurnished and students will have to share a kitchen and bathroom facility.
- Students in Kiel can also opt for private accommodation and hostels as per their feasibility.
- Additional student dorms are available at Haus Düstern-brook, the Dietrich-Bonhoeffer-Hausand the Kieler Kloster.
- It must be noted that students are not guaranteed accommodation
- Another option available for accommodation is the home-share project “Wohnen für Hilfe” which provides home-sharing facilities between families, elderly or disabled persons, and students.
- Several independent operators also provide Student accommodation in Germany near the campus of the university. Students can also find accommodation in privately organized flatshares or private apartments.
Kiel University of Applied Sciences Application Process
International students are required to follow the listed application process to secure admission to the Kiel University of Applied Sciences. Submission of a completed application along with the application fee supplemented with required documents within the deadlines is required for the successful processing of the application
- Application portal: uni-assist
- Application fee: 75 Euro
- Application Deadline: German universities follow a two-semester system with winter and summer semesters. Students seeking admission at German universities are encouraged to apply at least 2 months prior to the expiry of the specified application deadlines. Winter semester- Aug 20; Summer Semester-Jan 15
- Supporting Documents:
- Curriculum vitae
- Copy of your passport
- Payment slip of the fee paid for the application
- certified copies of all the originals written in the original language
- certified copies of the translations
- School leaving certificate for higher education
- Verification certificate of proficiency in the German language
- Certificate of a university entrance examination
- University transcripts including a list of subjects and grades
- Transcript of an assessment test
Kiel University of Applied Sciences Cost of Attendance
International students willing to study in Germany are required to meet the sufficient funds required for the completion of their desired program. However, it is also dependent on personal expenses, the program chosen, and the accommodation costs.
|Tuition fee||Not required|
|Food and clothing||360|
Kiel University of Applied Sciences Scholarships
- The University does not provide scholarships or financial aid to the students admitted to undergraduate and graduate courses.
- For students interested in Student exchange or Study abroad programs, the university provides a CAU Exchange Scholarship that offers study options in Europe, Asia, and North America.
- The CAU exchange scholarship is provided by the university in cooperation with a range of scholarship programs with several partner universities abroad.
- However, international students are provided with financial assistance in the form of student loans, scholarships, and work-study options by external agencies.
Kiel University of Applied Sciences Alumni
- Kiel University has a rich collection of alumni networks with alumni association groups framed separately according to the subject's departments.
- Some of the notable alumni from the university are:
- Viktoria Schmidt- German art historian
- Peer Steinbruck - Former finance minister of Germany
- Sibylle Kessel- Present judge of Federal Constitutional Court of Germany
- Erich Walter Sternberg- Renowned composer
Kiel University of Applied Sciences Placements
International students working in Germany may require approval for jobs extending beyond a period of 120 days or 240 half days. Students may be required to undertake compulsory internships as a part of their study program that does not require any approval. The International Placement Services of the university works as a contact partner within the German Federal Employment Agency and helps international students to find jobs in Germany.
Ques. How can I apply for international programs at Kiel University of Applied Sciences?
Ans. Non-EU students can apply through the Uni-assist portal both for undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The first application fee is 75 EUR and for the further request, it is 30 EUR. The digital copies of required documents should also be sent via uni-assist. Students who have given the assessment test online can apply online directly for the university’s official website.
Ques. What proof of German language proficiency is accepted by Kiel University of Applied Sciences?
Ans. Students can submit any of the following as proof of German language proficiency:
- German Language Diploma of the Conference of Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs DSD II
- Proof of passing the DSH-2 or DSH-3 test
- "DAF Test " with a grade "4" in all areas
- telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule
- Central Advanced Language Test/small language diploma/C2 certificate of Goethe Institute
Ques. What are the English language requirements for English programs at Kiel University of Applied Sciences?
Ans. The English language proficiency is only required for Industrial Engineering and Information Engineering as these are taught in English. The requirements are as follows:
- IELTS - 5.0, LCCI - Level 2
- TOEFL IBT - 78
- One semester (6 months) study or work at English speaking country
- TOEFL IBT - 70
- TOEFL CBT - 185
- TOEFL PBT - paper-based: 515)
- IELTS - 5.5
- Bachelor’s program degree taught in English
Ques. What are the international undergraduate requirements at Kiel University of Applied Sciences?
Ans. A student must submit curriculum vitae (tabular form), copy of passport, receipt of uni-assist payment fee, school leaving certificate, proof of German language proficiency, etc.
Ques. How can I apply for accommodation?
Ans. Students can apply directly for accommodation at the Studentenwerk Schleswig-Holstein (housing administration):
- Steenbeker Weg 20
- 24106 Kiel
Ques. What are the deadlines to apply for accommodation?
Ans. Studentenwerk accepts accommodation applications for the winter semester till June 15 and the summer semester up to January 15.
Ques. What is the tuition fee at the Kiel University of Applied Sciences?
Ans. There are no tuition fees at Kiel University of Applied Sciences. Although a semester fee of 253.50 EUR (71.00 EUR for industrial engineering), which must be paid every term towards maintaining student activities and organizational services. The registration fees of 100 EUR are also to be paid.
Ques. What documents are required by the German Embassy to apply for a visa?
Ans. The following are the essential documents to present before German Embassy-
- Visa application forms
- Passport size pictures
- Valid passport
- Letter of admission from Fachhochschule Kiel
- Proof of language proficiency
- Proof of financial means
Ques. Are there any scholarships available for international students at Kiel University for Applied Sciences?
Ans. No, there are no scholarships available for International students at Kiel University of Applied Sciences.
Ques. When does the semester start at Kiel University of Applied Sciences?
Ans. The summer semester starts on March 1 and the winter semester from September 1.
FIND A PROGRAM