City University of Applied Sciences: Programs, Admission Process, Cost, Scholarships & Placements
Founded in 1982, the City University of Applied Sciences is a public institution located in Bremen, the heart of Germany. It is one of the largest universities of applied sciences in Bremen with a total enrollment of around 8,700 students. It has a vibrant student population with international students coming from over 55 nationalities speaking more than 110 languages.
Programs at the City University of Applied Sciences are offered in the areas of engineering, natural sciences, economics, social sciences, and business. Programs are offered in German, English, or bilingually i.e. both German and English. More than 300 international students are enrolled either part-time or full-time in a total of 10 MBA programs and 4 master’s programs. Based on the university's quality of education, student performance, and reputation it has a place among the top universities in Germany.
|Mode of program||Full-time, part-time|
|No. of programs||66|
|No. of campuses||4|
|Total enrollment||9,000 (approx.)|
|Medium of instruction||German and English|
|Tuition fee||Not required|
|Intake Seasons||Summer and Winter|
|Financial Aid||Available in the form of scholarships, grants and loans|
+49 421 5905 2061
City University of Applied Sciences Campus
- The City University of Applied Sciences operates on 4 campuses in the following campuses locations:
- Neustadtswall 30 with 4,531 students
- Werderstraße 73 with 3,256 students
- Flughafenallee 10 with 885 students
- Süderstraße 2 with 268 students
- Another university site is Langemarckstrasse 113, which has been the International Graduate Centre since 2018. Used as a World War I hospital in the past, the campus now has numerous offices, seminar rooms and 4 lecture halls.
- It provides on-campus facilities such as data centre, career services, library, printing and copying centers, center for teaching and learning and cafeterias, the equality body, childcare services, Olbers planetarium, foreign language centers, patent and standards center and BRIDGE- the start-up assistance services.
- The university has numerous student councils and committees. AStA is a popular general student committee.
- Hochschule Bremen takes pride in being a culture-sensitive university and celebrates a day as the International Day. It has theatre workshops, an international literature festival (Poetry on the Road), the IntoNation choir, ThinkMusic!, artistic training, concert series “Lunch Gigs”, etc as well.
- Participation in sports is encouraged through cutter coils, HSB- Tri-Runners, running clubs and the German sports batch.
- Student life in Bremen is exciting since it is a young, livable metropolis. It is a city full of sports, science, cleanliness and shout distances. Transportation in and around the city is usually done by public modes, bikes or on foot.
- 59% of HSB students spend time abroad as a part of their degree program. The vibrant international campus of the university includes students of 55 nationalities.
City University of Applied Sciences Residence
- A student at the City University of Applied Sciences can live with their parents (domestic students), in their own flat or shared flat or a student housing facility.
- The rent for accommodation in student housing facilities is between 300-400 EUR per month.
- Housing locations for students are off-campus in the following places:
- Neustadt is a short trip from a residence to HSB campus
- Viertel is a popular and contemporary location, hence expensive
- Walle is affordable but farther from HSB
- The 1/2/3/4-room apartments are furnished and have a kitchenette or an electric stove, a refrigerator, sink and a washroom. Some also provide television and internet facilities and allow students, couples and families to rent it. Residential complexes also include common rooms, parking, etc.
- Individuals who change their main residence to Bremen for the first time are entitled to a welcome bonus of 150 EUR, which can be obtained by submitting an application form.
- Housing facility information from different agencies is posted on the website of the university.
City University of Applied Science Courses
- City University of Applied Science has 5 faculties offering bachelor’s and master’s degree programs as listed below:
- School of International Business (SIB) offering 23 courses.
- School of Architecture, Civil and Environmental Engineering offering 7 courses.
- School of Social Sciences offering 8 courses.
- School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences offering 13 courses.
- School of Nature and Engineering offering 21 courses.
- The above-mentioned faculties have 3,200, 1,100, 1,200, 1,400, and 1,900 students respectively (approx).
- 3 part-time MBA and Master’s programs are offered for working professionals in German or bilingually (English and German).
- Flex programs allow all part-time Master’s and MBA programs to be studied flexibly and according to selected modules, one at a time.
- 7 courses offered by the university qualify as cooperative studies and training programs. The Shipbuilding and Offshore Engineering (practical environment), B.Eng. the course is comparable to such a program but not the same.
- Most HSB students spend at least a semester abroad. Likewise, many exchange students can also apply for most of the above-mentioned courses.
- The Summer School Program is for those students who want to study abroad but not for a whole semester.
- HSB offers a Computer Science program for which only women are eligible to apply. This program is designed to facilitate the empowerment of women in a more comfortable environment.
City University of Applied Sciences Application Process
City University of Applied Sciences accepts applications for the winter and summer semesters. For admission to any program submission of scores of exams to study in Germany is necessary. Moreover, international students are expected to meet English as well as German language proficiency requirements for admission. The University required students to be nominated in their home university for admission as an incoming student.
How to Apply?
The process and requirements for admission to the City University of Applied Sciences have been discussed below:
Application Portal: Uni-assist portal
Application Fee: Uni-assist- first study request costs 75 EUR and subsequent requests cost 30 EUR each.
Application Deadline: Winter semester – June 1; Summer semester - January 15
Admission Requirements: The following documents must be submitted at the time of admission:
- Requirements for undergraduate programs:
- School leaving certificate
- Proof of passing university entrance exam (if applicable)
- A certificate with overview of subjects and grades of the previous university (if applicable)
- Diploma certificate (if applicable)
- A minimum passing grade for your degree
- Requirements for graduate programs:
- Certificate on University studies
- Overview of subjects and grades
- Diploma Certificate
- Diploma Supplement (if applicable)
- University grading system (link or PDF, if applicable)
- School leaving Certificate
- Proof of passing University exams
- A minimum passing grade for your degree
- Language Certificate or proof of participation (TestDaF/DSH/ Goethe-Institut/DSD German Language Diploma)
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Resume (if applicable)
- A passport copy
- A note containing name, application number (if already provided), DOB, correspondence address and email ID
- Letter of Motivation
- Letter of Recommendation
- GMAT/GRE (if applicable)
- Portfolio (if applicable)
- Doctor’s note (if applicable)
- Subject-specific documents for admission (vocational training, internships, eligibility test results, work samples)
International applicants require the following level of proficiency in English and German languages:
|Exam||Minimum required scores|
|TOEFL – PBT||530|
|TOEFL – IBT||71|
|TOEFL – CBT||197|
|German language proficiency||C1 level certificate|
Also, learn about exams required for international students to study in Germany.
City University of Applied Sciences Cost of Attendance
- Currently, the City University of Applied Sciences is not charging any tuition fees from students.
- Students must expect to incur the cost of living expenses for the duration of the study. A monthly estimate of such expenses is given below:
|Expenditure Item||Amount (per month)|
|Living expenses||300 EUR|
|Study material||30 EUR|
|Health insurance||60 EUR|
|Total cost of living (approx.)||700 EUR|
City University of Applied Sciences Scholarships
- HSB offers support through grants and scholarships under the Deutschland stipendium, which aids talented and/or first-year students.
- Candidates need to apply for this scholarship during the application phase through the online application portal of the Deutschland stipendium.
- Under this program, a sponsor supports one of the students with 150 EUR per month for the duration of a year (minimum). A reward by the government, for this commitment, doubles the amount to 300 EUR per month.
- The funding starts in the winter semester, lasts for a year and has many accompanying programs. A request needs to be submitted for further funding.
- Every year around 30 sponsors support 90 students of HSB.
- Some other support and scholarships include:
- Stipendium Plus
- Aufstiegsstipendium für Berufserfahrene
- Students can also take advantage of the scholarships available for studying in Germany.
City University of Applied Sciences Alumni Network
City University of Applied Sciences has a constantly growing alumni network for all 5 of its disciplines. Membership to some of the alumni associations requires separate applications.
Notable alumni of the institute are as follows:
- Martin Horn - Mayor of Freiburg im Breisgau
- Janett Eger - Journalist
- Inge Höger - Politician
- Puneeth JH - Author, researcher and programmer
- Andreas Brandt - Architect
- Karl Terheyden - Captain and university lecturer in Nautical Science
City University of Applied Sciences Placements
Around 1,700 graduates of Hochschule Bremen City University of Applied Sciences start their careers every year, in Germany and abroad. The practical approach to education prepares the students for their careers and many times, the students have job offers even before they graduate. An average graduate writes 10 job applications, is interviewed for 8 and offered 6, according to graduate feedback. 15 twin-track co-operative training programs offered by HSB add value to the CV and train the students for their future.
The job and career portal on the university website acts as a communication interface for students and companies, organizations, etc. for project/internship/job vacancies. The Career Service program is quite helpful for international students. They can get their queries on jobs, career entry, applying for jobs, CVs, etc. answered here. The HSB website has a 12- step program for international students to help with their career-related doubts and concerns.
Ques. What is the acceptance rate of the City University of Applied Sciences?
Ans. City University of Applied Sciences is very selective while accepting students for its admissions. The acceptance rate is only 20-30%.
Ques. What is the living expense in Germany?
Ans. A minimum of 861 EUR on a monthly basis is required for living in Germany in 2021.
Ques. What is the semester fee at the City University of Applied Sciences?
Ans. City University of Applied Sciences does not charge a semester fee. Students are required to pay a social service contribution fee of 300 EUR.
Ques. Does City University of Applied Sciences offer scholarships?
Ans. Yes. City University of Applied Sciences participates in a scholarship program Deutschlandstipendium. It provides 300 EUR per month by the Federal Government of Germany. Financial institutions provide student loans ranging from 1,000-50,000 EUR.
Ques. What is the student enrollment at City University of Applied Sciences?
Ans. City University of Applied Sciences has a total enrollment of around 9000 students.
Ques. What are the language requirements for admission to City University of Applied Sciences?
Ans. Students seeking admission to degree programs offered in German must be proficient in German with level C1 German skills.
Ques. How can I apply to City University of Applied Sciences?
Ans. Students can use the HISinOne application to apply to City University of Applied Sciences.
Ques. Does City University of Applied Sciences offer accommodation?
Ans. Bremen City University of Applied Sciences does not offer accommodation on campus. However, the website of the university displays compiled resources for student accommodation close to the campus.
Ques. Is German language proficiency necessary for programs taught in English?
Ans. No. Students applying for English-taught programs are not required to submit proof of German language proficiency.
Ques. Does City University of Applied Sciences offer study abroad opportunities?
Ans. Yes. Around two-thirds of the students get to complete a semester abroad.
FIND A PROGRAM
Application Portal : https://www.hs-bremen.de/internet/de/studium/bewerbung/
- Bus Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary