Ruhr University Bochum 2020-2021 Admissions: Entry Requirements, Acceptance Rate, Deadlines, Application Process
Ruhr University Bochum, founded in 1962 is the first university established in the Federal Republic of Germany. With 42,954 students currently enrolled at the university as per 2019 admission statistics, the institute is indeed one of the largest and top German universities for international students. A total of 6,312 international candidates representing around 130 countries are admitted to the university.
Within 20 diverse faculties, Ruhr University has about 191 degree programs. Admission at Ruhr University Bochum requires applicants to be proficient in the language of the program, either German or English and certified copy of degree/school leaving certificate. The university offers a wide variety of undergraduate and postgraduate courses for its students in subjects like Economics, Mathematics, and Archaeology.
A desired candidate applying at the institute must showcase an impressive academic profile comprising a grade average of 3.0 or 70% along with other language and curricular requirements. Some salient points in regard to the admission process at the institute are as listed below.
- Ruhr University Bochum follows a semester-system and has two intake seasons, Summer and Winter.
- The deadline for the Winter semester 2020 application is August 20 and for Summer semester is January 15.
- The admission is granted on a rolling basis.
- Candidates are required to submit their test certificates in both English and German.
- German language proficiency proof must be produced for admission in the majority of the courses, since only a few have English as the medium of instruction. TestDaF, DSH, ZOP examination, or diploma in German language proves proficiency.
- In case the students do not have the required grades, they will have to sit for an assessment test prior to their admission.
COVID-19 (coronavirus) admission updates
With the impact of COVID-19 pandemic across the world, Ruhr University Bochum has shifted its summer 2020 semester online. In fact, the winter 2020 semester is also going to be amalgamation of online and face-to-face teaching.
The winter semester application deadline has been extended from July 15 to August 20. Additionally, international students who are facing financial problems due to corona can apply for financial support. International office has also shifted online and can be consulted through Skype or Moodle.
|Application Portal||Online application|
|Application Fee (non-refundable)||N/A|
|Intake seasons||Summer and Winter|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships, loans and grants|
|Resume||For some programs|
|English proficiency test||IELTS or TOEFL|
|German Proficiency proof||TestDaF, DSH,ZOP, Diploma|
Ruhr University Admission Deadlines
The institute provides an array of courses for international students at undergraduate and graduate level. Ruhr University Bochum has a deadline for drafting applications for both summer and winter semesters. The winter deadline is however pushed forward in the light of global pandemic.
|Semester||Application beginning||Application deadline|
|Summer 2020||December||January 15|
|Winter 2020||June||August 20|
Ruhr University International Student Admissions
Ruhr University Bochum has a considerably impressive international representation with students from 193 countries registered in over 191 programs. The programs are divided across Humanities, Social Science, Engineering, Medicine and Natural Sciences disciplines. To secure admission at Ruhr University, international applicants must be proficient in either English or German, depending upon the language of instruction of the desired course.
How to apply?
Application Portal: Online portal
Application Fee (non-refundable): N/A
Basic Admission Requirements: Certain documents are mandatory uploads alongside the application form for international applicants. Following are the requirements that applicants must satisfy-
- Higher education entrance qualification equivalent to German standards.
- German language proficiency proof.
- English language proficiency proof.
- Official academic transcripts.
- Resume (if applicable).
- High school diploma.
- Qualifying academic degree certificate.
- APS certificate for applicants from China and Vietnam.
Additional Requirements: Optionally, international applicants may also submit the following documents to add value to their application-
- Personal statement.
- Letters of recommendation.
- Other reference letters.
Application Process of Ruhr University Bochum
Ruhr University Bochum follows a considerably simple admission process for international applicants.
- Surf through the course catalogue on the university website and choose the program that you want to apply for.
- Register on the portal and receive an email to activate the account.
- Log in using the account details and fill the application form. Application form features blanks for the following information- personal details, academic history, work experience, language skills and contact information.
- Lastly, applicants have to upload the supporting documents such as CV, transcripts, language proficiency proof, etc.
- Submit the application. You’ll receive an email as and when your documents are processed and forwarded to the admission committee.
English Proficiency Test Scores
For programs that have English as a medium of instruction, students have to produce the proof of English language proficiency like TOEFL, IELTS etc., minimum requirements for which are as mentioned below.
|Test name||Minimum Required Score|
Visa Process for International Students
- To apply for German visa, students have to visit their home Germany embassy or German consulate.
- Fill the visa application form and book an appointment for a visa interview at least three months prior to the beginning of the program.
- The documents required at the interview can be checked from the website of German Embassy or Consulate. Admission and financial guarantee proof must be most definitely carried for the interview process.
Ruhr University Bochum Undergraduate Admissions
Undergraduate programs at Ruhr University Bochum are spread across five disciplines. Applied Computer Science, Civil Engineering, Management and Economics, Educational Science, etc are few popular bachelor’s programs at the university.
Where to Apply: Online application portal
Application Fee: N/A
Admission Requirements: The documents that must be uploaded while applying for undergraduate admission at Ruhr University are as follows-
- Higher education entrance qualification.
- High school diploma.
- German language proficiency proof.
- English language proficiency proof.
- Official academic transcripts with grades.
- APS certificate from Chinese and Vietnamese applicants.
Ruhr University Bochum Graduate Admissions
Ruhr University offers a plethora of graduate programs in different fields for applicants across the globe seeking to study in Germany. Apart from 15 programs in English language, all the other programs have German as the language of instruction. For some master’s courses, there are two intakes seasons, whereas others only have one season of intake. Furthermore, the admission to some courses is also restricted at the university.
Some popular master’s programs at Ruhr University Bochum are as follows-
|Requirements||Master of Science in Computational Engineering||Master of Science in Applied Computer Science||Master of Science in Cognitive Science||Master of Science in Accounts and Auditing||Master of Science in Management and Economics|
|Intake season||Winter||Winter and Summer||Winter||Summer||Winter and Summer|
|Number of semesters||4||4||4||6||4|
|Admission Restrictions||Not applicable||Not applicable||Applicable||Not applicable||Applicable|
|Language of Instructions||English||German||English||German||German, English|
|Course preference||Undergraduate degree in construction engineering, mechanical engineering, mathematics, or engineering related discipline||Undergraduate degree in computer science, applied computer science or equivalent degree||Bachelor’s degree in Philosophy, Psychology, Neuroscience, Mathematics, Biology, Computer Science, Linguistics or similar subjects||Undergraduate degree in Economics or Law||Bachelor’s degree in Management and Economics, economics or equivalent degree.|
|Letters of Recommendation||Required||Required||Required||Required||Required|
Ruhr University Bochum admits applicants on the basis of their academic history and proficiency in the language of instructions. On satisfying requirements of the desired program, applicants must draft the application latest by August 20 for winter semester and January 15 for summer semester.
The drafted applications must have all the supporting documents like transcripts, personal essay, language proficiency proof, and the like. If the application gets accepted, then the students must immediately apply for the visa at the nearest German embassy. For the visa interview, university acceptance letter and financial guarantee proof are two most important documents.
Ques. Is admission in Master of Science Management and Economics restricted at Ruhr University Bochum?
Ans. Yes, admissions in Master of Science Management and Economics have been restricted by Ruhr University Bochum
Ques. What tests are recommended by Ruhr University Bochum for proving German language proficiency?
Ans. Students at Ruhr University Bochum can either produce TestDaF, ZOP or DSH test results for German language proof. Additionally, a diploma in German language is also a valid proof for the same.
Ques. What’s the intake season for a Master of Science in Applied Computer Science at Ruhr University Bochum?
Ans. The Master of Science in Applied Computer Science program at Ruhr University Bochum admits students in both summer and winter semesters.
Ques. Is there any country-specific admission requirement at Ruhr University Bochum?
Ans. There is only one country-specific admission requirement at Ruhr University Bochum and that’s for Chinese and Vietnamese applicants. They have to upload an APS certificate as a supporting document.
Ques. Does Ruhr University Bochum provides English program?
Ans. Yes, the university has some programs that are in conducted in English.
Ques. Are English proficiency test required by Ruhr University Bochum?
Ans. Ruhr University Bochum accepts TOEFL (paper-based), TOEFL (computer-based), TOEFL (internet-based) and IELTS as proof of English language.
Ques. What is the academic calendar of Ruhr University Bochum?
Ans. Academic calendar of the university on bases of semester.