Carl Benz School 2020-2021 Admissions: Entry Requirements, Deadlines, Application Process
Carl Benz School of Engineering (CBS) is a learning community associated with Karlsruhe Institute of Technology that offers admission to bachelor’s programs in the field of Mechanical Engineering by devoting itself towards excellence and innovation. The institute is one of the largest science institutions and top German universities with 9,300 employees, including 6,000 scientists and lecturers, and 25,000 students. Hence, the school also offers research-based study programs to prepare its students for responsible positions in society, industry, and science.
The institute also provides insight into studying engineering via one of the Summer Schools. Such programs are covered under the Department of Mechanical Engineering which is consistently awarded top reviews for all its activities. An average GPA of 3.5 or more, a SAT score of 1200 or above along with some impressive transcripts showcasing decent Math and Physics grades, outstanding letters of recommendation and a passion in the field or engineering makes for the ideal student profile when seeking enrollment at the organization.
Some salient points regarding admissions at Carl Benz School of Engineering are as mentioned below.
- The institute opens applications for Fall and Summer School admissions.
- Both the undergraduate and summer school applicants can apply through the university’s online portal.
- Applicants may upload the supporting documents while making the online application on their official website.
- It does not offer full scholarships/ aid/ loans. After the first year of studies, merit-based partial scholarships might be available.
- The application for international students is only possible within the period from May 16, 2020 to February 15, 2021.
- Transcripts must be sent in a sealed envelope or must be electronically mailed for all educational institutions attended.
COVID-19 Admision Updates
Both due to COVID-19 pandemic and the suspension of SAT testing, applicants have the option to apply for the B.Sc. Mechanical Engineering (International) and the CBS College Program also without SAT scores.
The university has established a provision for the students that have been hit financially by the current COVID-19 crisis to apply for an interest-free loan (Studienkredit) hosted by the KfW (Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau).
|Application Portal||Online portal|
|Application Fee (International Applicants)||None|
|Minimum SAT score||1200|
|Intake Seasons||Fall and Summer School|
|Financial Aid||Merit-based partial scholarships (in first year of study)|
The university provides the same application procedure and deadlines whether you apply as a freshman, transfer or international student. Here are the deadlines for the enrollment seasons:
|Fall admissions||April 30, 2020|
|Summer School||June 14, 2020|
|Commencement of next application period||Winter 2020|
International Students Admission
Carl Benz School has mandated that the students must have completed secondary education with a college preparatory curriculum, fulfilled the minimum grade point equivalency, provided required official academic records, met the appropriate deadlines, and verified financial support for one academic year. The application process is similar for both international and domestic applicants. However, international applicants need to meet some additional entrance requirements:
Application Portal: Students may apply online at the university’s official website.
Application Fee: None
Basic Admission Requirements: International applicants must satisfy the following requirements in order to be eligible for Carl Benz School admissions:
- A completed formal application with all the required details.
- All official academic transcripts, certificates, or grade records from the institution that you received your secondary education.
- Submit SAT score (maths & evidence-based reading and writing) with maximum 1,200 points.
- Excellent grades in mathematics & physics
- Minimum IELTS, TOEFL and TOEIC scores for proof of English proficiency.
- Letter of motivation highlighting strong interests in engineering and future goals.
- Positive letters of recommendation from high school teachers (recommended).
In addition to the general admission requirements, the college also demands for supporting documents providing any additional qualifications such as:
- Work experience (e.g. vocational or professional training)
- Practical experience (e.g. internships)
- Extra-Curricular activities and qualifications (e.g. awards or distinctions)
In case if any student has any query regarding the admission materials or the application procedure, he/she can contact the team at university under the following mail address:
English Proficiency Test Scores
|Test||Minimum score required|
|TOEFL||Internet based: 88 Paper based: 570 Computer based: 250|
Visa Process for International Students
Students can apply for a German student visa after the acceptance into the institute. Generally, students are issued with the visa after the completion of all the requirements. Therefore, Aspirants will be required the following documents for a visa interview:
- An acceptance letter by the Office of Admissions
- Valid passport
- Proof of health insurance
- Proof of sufficient funds
- Records of previous study and language skills
- If applicable: letter of acceptance from your higher education institution
- If applying for a prospective student visa: a recognized higher education qualifications
- A health certificate
Hence, it is recommended to the students to apply for the visa as soon as they receive their admission letters since the process can take up to several months.
Carl Benz School of Engineering Undergraduate Admissions
Carl Benz School of Engineering University offers Undergraduate Admissions in Mechanical Engineering in the form of B.Sc for applicants across the globe seeking to study in Germany. The university provides similar deadlines and application procedures for domestic undergraduate applicants as well as international applicants. However, the university asks for different admission requirements from domestic undergraduate applicants.
Where to Apply: Online Application Portal
Application Fee: None
Admission Requirements: Applicants must submit the following documents at the time of admission:
- Official SAT scores with maximum 1,200 points
- All official academic transcripts, certificates, or grade records from the institution that you received your secondary education
- Excellent grades in mathematics & physics
- English proficiency test score for international applicants
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
For the convenience of the students, a simple application process for admissions into the institute is also tabulated below.
|Application Deadlines||April 30|
|Medium of Instruction||English|
|Academic Requirements||High school transcript with higher-level mathematics and physics for the last two years Exceptional subject knowledge in mathematics, physics and chemistry. SAT scores English proficiency test score for international applicants|
|Supporting Documents||Resume Cover Letter Statement of Purpose Letters Of Recommendation|
|Specializations Offered||Global Production Management Automotive Engineering Energy Engineering|
The proof of English proficiency is not required if the applicant has been studying English as part of the official curriculum for the past five consecutive years. German Language acquaintance is not a prerequisite for application to the degree program, although understanding German would help while living in Germany.
Applicants are recommended to check the official website of the university for the admission deadlines of the programs. After the application deadline, the students will receive the answer concerning admission or rejection within four weeks at the latest. Students will receive the response through an email notification about the outcome of your application. The condition is that all documents arrive in time.
Students are further requested to log in to the application portal once they receive the notification – they can download the notice there and consider the corresponding application number. In case they have received an admission letter, they are required to accept the study place in the application portal. Otherwise, the place will be given to other applicants. For this, they will have to log in to the portal after they receive a notification once the admission letter is available.
Ques. How will Summer School take place this year during a pandemic at Carl Benz School of Engineering?
Ans. Carl Benz School of Engineering is doing everything possible to conduct the Summer School. For this, it has been decided by the university to develop an online program.
Ques. How are academics of Carl Benz School of Engineering different from other universities?
Ans. Carl Benz School of Engineering is diverse, open-minded and very internationally oriented in terms of academics and other perspectives. While mechanical engineering classes at KIT allow for 600 students in the 1st-semester, but CBS following a different approach, admits a maximum of 50 students. Therefore, the university also provides three types of specialization under Mechanical Engineering: Automotive Engineering, Global Production Management and/or Energy Engineering.