University of Cologne: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
University of Cologne, established in 1388 began with 700 enrollments for the wide range of programs that it offered. However, followed by unfortunate events, the university was shut down in 1789, only to reopen after years in 1919. The university houses 7,244 first-year students every year and molds them in the format of research and innovation that the institute primarily advocates for. The institute has external funding of 105.7 million EUR and total funding of 807.7 million EUR. It offers an array of courses for international candidates seeking to study in Canada at the undergraduate and graduate levels in the ranging fields of Business, Administration, Science, among others.
Admissions at University of Cologne are available in the 2 seasonal intakes of Summer and Winter and require a nonrefundable fee of 75 EUR from all its applicants. Its MBA graduates are some of the finest in country that land some renowned jobs in Germany after graduation and thus, it is one of the most unparalleled and coveted courses among international candidates. They are some of the highest-paid graduates in the nation with a salary package ranging between 100,000 EUR to 166,000 EUR.
University of Cologne has received the following rankings from prestigious survey agencies over the past few years-
- Globally ranked 157 amongst World Universities by Times Higher Education in 2020.
- Ranked 5th amongst National Universities by CEWS Ranking in 2019.
- Ranked 51st by the Financial Times for Masters in Management in 2019.
- Ranked amidst the top 20 universities in Germany by QS World.
|Total Funding||809.3 million EUR|
|Number of Courses Offered||335|
|Number of Professors||649|
|Tuition Fee for International Students||Not Charged|
|International Student Percentage||11%|
|Annual Estimated Cost of Attendance (international)||9,984 EUR|
|Contact International Office||+49 (0) 221 470-1021|
Programs, Campus and Accommodation
- The university campus is situated in the urban locale of Cologne and is an amalgamation of an educational and cultural hub.
- Apart from the numerous academic, residential and research buildings spread across the campus, University and City library is a prominent attraction. The library is accessible for both academic and research purposes.
- University of Cologne, in association with German Sport University, offers students numerous sports related activities. Unifit is the center for sports training, available to students and staff both.
- Many individual initiatives by students also run on campus. Organizations such as European Students’ Forum or WiSo Students Association concern not only with interest of students but also with studies. Furthermore, the Cologne-carnival, which is a world-famous affair offers a blending of art exhibitions, theatre, cinema, sports, music, etc.
- Cologne, being the fourth largest city of Germany acts as the central point for trade and commerce and it consequently an economic attraction.
- Students at Cologne opt for both on-campus and private accommodations depending upon the feasibility.
- Kohler Studierendenwerk operates dormitories for students on campus. There are more than 90 such dormitories that house approximately 5,000 students. Due to the high desirability of the accommodation, students are expected to draft an application for the same at least 3-6 months in advance.
- Kitchens, washrooms, drying rooms and internet access are basic facilities. Some dormitories do offer bicycle storage facilities. Individual houses also have fitness and music practice rooms.
- Private housing can either be in the form of an individual or a shared apartment. Houses in Germany are generally unfurnished. Immonet, Immowelt, and kalaydo are some websites that can prove useful while looking for private accommodation.
- The rates for residence in the dormitories or otherwise are as follows-
|Students’ dormitory||141 EUR and 361 EUR|
|Own apartment||500 EUR|
|Shared apartment||350-450 EUR|
- University of Cologne offers numerous bachelor’s, master’s programs and doctoral degrees in the field of Business Administration, Economics, Information Systems, Social Sciences, etc.
- With the largest number of faculties across Germany in Management, Economics and Social Sciences, the university observes these as the most popular courses.
- Business Administration, a part of economic sciences is an integral course for international attraction. However, the approach to the program at University of Cologne is singular and both goal and result oriented. An aspirant for Business Administration for undergraduate education has to be a 2.7 (German grade) holder and a proficient speaker of German and English, along with the other general requirements.
- International Management (CEMS MIM) is another popular course requiring a candidate to have 2.5 (German grade) in undergraduate education. This course has been ranked number 1 in International Management education in Germany by Financial Times and other a plethora of practical experiences.
University of Cologne Admission Process
How to apply?
Admission Portal: Online application
Admission Fee: 75 EUR for first desired course, 30 additional EUR for every other preference.
Supporting Documents: The following documents are mandatory when applying for University of Cologne-
- Tabular Curriculum Vitae in German
- Proof for knowledge of German language
- Secondary school leaving certificate with translation
- TestAS certificate
- Proof of passing university examination (if applicable).
- Certificate of assessment test.
- Original APS Certification (Only for applicants from China, Vietnam and Mongolia).
- Copies of school certificate from last two years (Only for those who hold an International Baccalaureate).
- Course certificates with subjects and grades listed along with the translation.
- Copy of passport.
University of Cologne Cost of Attendance
- The institute does not charge any tuition fee across all the programs.
- Students are required to pay the semester fee only that consists of social contribution for the Kölner Studierendenwerk (KSTW) and the contribution for the student representative body AStA. The semester fee keeps differing and for 2020 it is 279.65 EUR for 6 months. This fee contains the cost for local transportation expenses.
- The living expense in Germany is approximately 832 EUR with the following breakdown-
|Type of expense||Estimated cost/month|
|Rent including utilities||366 EUR|
|Semester fee||45 EUR|
|Health insurance/medical expense||79 EUR|
- University of Cologne provides assistance in the form of grants and scholarships in Germany for international students.
- Three primary scholarships/grants that the university awards are stated below-
- Federal Germany grant
- Scholarship for students with disabilities or chronic illnesses
- Social scholarship from the University of Cologne
- The three grants are of 300 EUR/month with an integral role of social criteria for awarding of the social scholarship and scholarship for disabled students.
- Students who are not awarded scholarships are allowed to take up some side work. As per the law, International students can work for 120 full days (4-8 hours/day) or 240 half days (1-4 hours/day) to finance some of their expenses.
University of Cologne alumni are offered numerous benefits that are listed below-
- Receiving important information through newsletters.
- Alumni are lifelong invited to events that can engage in networking.
- Find connection in other cities with the regional groups’ option.
- Manage information such as email, phone number, etc. through KolnAlumni account management system.
- Using the exclusive alumni email to forward mails.
- 50% discount on studio stage cologne performance tickets.
- Discount to avail sports facilities through Unifit.
- Receive Cologne official magazine at your mail address.
- Heinrich Boll, Nobel Prize for Literature, 1972
- Karolos Papoulias, Hellenic Republic, Former President
University of Cologne organizes multiple job fairs to help students understand the demand of the industry and meet potential employers. A job fair for social science students was held recently on January 15, 2020. Students can also find suitable jobs at Uni Köln Stellenwerk portal that are posted by employers. Private Job offers can also be posted on this portal.
University of Cologne has a Professional Centre to help students hone their skills for job placements. Alongside the professional centre are multiple career centres such as, WiSo Career Service, Faculty of Arts Career Service, etc. that helps students in the placement field. MBA students at Cologne are the highest paid with an average package of around 100,000 EUR-166,000 EUR.
FIND A PROGRAM
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
RANKED #101 - #125
RANKED #101 - #125
RANKED #251 - #300
RANKED #251 - #300
View More >>
QS World University
My university has one of the most renowned programs in anthropology and ethnography. It enrolls more than 5000 international students annually. It boasts of an intercultural environment that I found attractive. Enrolling in my particular programs is based on good references and above-average grades in your previous educational qualification. I did not pay any application fee and it was the only university I applied to in Germany. After enrolment, I was informed that I was selected on the basis that there was a project that was being started in the area studies program that I was well experienced in.
Course Curriculum :
The curriculum is excellent in that, it allows independent thinking and gives a platform to discover self-value.
I always wanted to pursue my masters from Germany. I did a little research on my part and also took the help of my seniors who have studied from Germany. I got to know about this college and the course curriculum and therefore, I went ahead to pay Only Social fee and filled the application.
Course Curriculum :
The course is very structured and extremely well-framed. The Core and Advanced Section of the subject covers content-specific and methodological basics of micro and macroeconomics, statistics, econometrics and mathematics. This course has particularly helped me to comprehend scientific literature of economic science and furthermore to independently analyse economic problems
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
- Train Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary