Technical University Dortmund: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Located in the Ruhr region of Germany, Technical University of Dortmund was established in 1958. In a time when Germany was witnessing a decline in the coal and steel industry, since the University’s emergence, there has been an economical shift from heavy industry towards technology. It is home to a total student population close to 34,000 with an intake of 11% as international students, making it a popular place to study in Germany. The male to female ratio of the university is 55:45. The university is best known for its innovation in the areas of Physics, Electrical Engineering, Chemistry and Economics.
Technical University of Dortmund Rankings
The Technical University of Dortmund is ranked
- #39th globally and 41st among all the German universities according to CWUR2.
- #51-400th among all the universities of the world by Times Higher Education3
- #801-1000th among all the universities of the by QS4
|Number of Campuses||Two|
|International Student Population||11%|
|Student to Faculty ratio||120:1|
|Budget||EURO 307 million|
|For general inquiry||Dr. Barbara Schneider
phone: +49 (0)231 755-6350
Technical University of Dortmund Campus
- The university comprises of 16 faculties across academic disciplines ranging from science and engineering to social sciences and culture studies
- The university also boasts of a Centre for Teacher Training, four central scientific institutions, seven associated research institutes and five affiliated institutes, including the German Institute for Civic Art.
- Technical University Dortmund is split across two campuses, the North and South campuses, located a couple of miles from downtown Dortmund. Since 1984, they have been linked by an automated hanging monorail system.
- Among all other premises, the state-of-the-art library of the University is a great source of attraction with the collection of a huge volume of books6.
- There are various options of residing in Dortmund after successfully applying for study at the university.
- On-campus residence is limited, hence international students need to arrange beforehand their accommodation while studying in Germany.
- There are University accommodations arranged by studierendenwerk Dortmund, DAAD Student Residence, Students Dorm Bochum, German Student Dorms etc.
- There are a large number of options available for the students for short term or long term stay in and around the University7.
Technical University of Dortmund Programs
- The Technical University of Dortmund is a significant hub of education in Germany with its 16 faculties.
- The university offers over 190 wide ranges of degree courses.
- Programs at Technical University Dortmund range from Natural and Engineering Science to Cultural and Social Science via its bachelor's, master's programs.
- Keeping in mind the significant number of international students, six of the master's degree courses are conducted fully in the English language9.
Technical University of Dortmund Admission Process
International students have many additional requirements in order to meet the requirements for admission at Technical University Dortmund. Briefly, they need to:
- Get their previous educational degrees recognized according to the German status10.
- After this, students have to choose a program to apply for.
- There are some problems which are admission restricted and some of them are not.
- As most of the courses are taught in German therefore students have to have a good knowledge of German language11
Application portal: Online portal of University
Application fee: None
Application deadline: Application for the summer semester can be filled up from 15 November to 15 January and for the winter semester is from 15 March to 15 July.
The following documents are required to be submitted along with application form12:
- School leaving Certificate (secondary education) in the original language and a translation in German or English
- Transcript of records of studies in the original language and a translation in German or English with an explanation regarding the grading system of University
- Graduation Degree in the original language and a translation in German or English
- For non-restricted degree programs: your current language certificate
- For restricted degree programs: DSH 2 or equivalent
- A report of the Assessment Exam from the Studienkolleg(if available)
- Higher Education Entrance Exam (Hochschulaufnahmeprüfung) in the original language and a translation in German or English (where needed)
- A report of the Assessment Exam from the Studienkolleg
Note: All the supporting documents should be sent with a sworn translation into English or German language.
Technical University of Dortmund Cost of Attendance
- Students don’t have to pay any tuition fees. However, all other expenses need to be met with.
- A semester fee of 299.92 EUR is needed to be paid by the students to access the facility of meals at various cafeterias and free public transportation in the state of North-Rhine Westphalia.
- In addition to this, students need to carry some cash for their monthly stay.
- Students should maintain a budget of approximately 853 EUR per month for a sustainable life in the city.
- This is needed for health insurance, rents, buy essentials, etc.
- The breakdown of this cost is shown in the below table.
|Expenses||Cost in EUR|
|Rent including utilities||323|
- There are some kind of special student offers for the students with the help of which students can get relaxations in various fees and be able to save money.16
Technical University of Dortmund Financial Aid
- There’s a large number of scholarships available for students studying in Germany.
- These include both institutional scholarships as well as government aids and grants.
- Some of the scholarships targeted towards the international students are DAAD STIBET Graduation Scholarships, DAAD award 2020, Martin-Schmeißer-Foundation scholarships.
- The students are advised to apply for the scholarships before their mentioned deadlines.
- There’s a provision for applying for a loan is also available for the students of the Technical University of Dortmund.19
Technical University of Dortmund placements
- The Technical University of Dortmund does not conduct in-campus placements.
- However, after graduation the students usually get job offers of lavish packages from all over the world.
- TU Dortmund University also offers several events that can help with the transition from one’s university to professional life.
- For example, the career fairs, which are open to the public, offer the opportunity to get to know different companies, ask about internship opportunities and maybe even personally hand in one’s application
Technical University of Dortmund Alumni
Technical University of Dortmund notable alumni include:
- Johannes Rau, former president of Germany.
- Donald Tusk, President of the European Council.
- Carsten Brosda, German politician.
Find a Program
Times Higher Education
Ranked #401 - #500
Ranked #251 - #300
Ranked #301 - #400
Computer Science (International)
Ranked #251 - #300
Ranked #301 - #400
View More >>
QS World University
Ranked #801 - #1000
As Germany is the leading country in the field of data science I decided to study it from here. I applied to a number of colleges through their official sites and finally, my application got selected here. The application process was free of cost.
Course Curriculum :
My course provides me knowledge in the field of statistics, computer science, and mathematics. We acquire the capacity for statistical data analysis and at the same time a deeper understanding of concepts and methods of computer science.
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
- Bus Station
- Super Market
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary