University of Goettingen: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Established in 1737 by the efforts of Elector Georg August von Hannover, University of Goettingen operates basically on the concepts of research, experiment and emphasis on source criticism. The university invites applicants from international candidates of nearly 141 countries seeking to study in Germany by enrolling in a range of bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral and certificate courses offered by the institute.
It is a research-led university having association with 40 Nobel Prize winners. Once, the institute was considered to be the centre of the mathematical world. More than 31,000 students and up to 200-degree programs divided across seven categories make it one of the largest universities in Germany.
About 31,619 students enrolled across different programs at the institute for the 2017-18 winter semester and 13% of the total were international students. Admissions at University of Goettingen are available in the 2 intakes of Winter and Summer. The institute charges a nonrefundable application fee of 65 EUR from all its candidates.
University of Goettingen has been regarded very highly and hence received the following ranking across surveys-
- The World University Ranking has placed the university at the 11th spot across universities in Germany.
- 197th rank worldwide by QS World University Ranking.
- Ranked 35 in Europe by Shanghai Ranking of World Universities.
- 125th in the world by The World University Ranking.
|University Type||Public University|
|Location||Göttingen, Lower Saxony, Germany|
|Percentage of International Students||12%|
|Intake Type||Semester wise|
+49 (0)551 / 39-28218
Programs, Campus and Accommodation
- The campus of University of Goettingen, located in Wilhelmsplatz is highly equipped with research centers all across. It comprises the University of Goettingen, University Medical Centre and eight non-university local research centres.
- The university maintains three botanical gardens in the campus, alongside Goettingen State and University Library with multiple manuscripts and books for research based education.
- Student life at Goettingen is a culmination of diverse experiences. Students can participate in forming the self-government to have a say in their education and student life.
- International Communities and Country Groups are an added attraction on campus, for they facilitate the interaction between students, scientists and employees from one country. Social activities are also organized as a part of a group interactional process.
- The institute also offers a plethora of cultural experiences in the form of theatrical experiences, sports activities, orchestra, choir, etc.
- The institute does not provide accommodation but does help in finding accommodation. Students can apply for seeking help to find apartments/students’ dormitories.
- Studentenwerk students’ dormitories are one of the most preferred options by students considering the basic facilities and affordability. These rooms are priced at 200-300 EUR.
- There are other options for private accommodation also like room in a shared flat, or a studio apartment. The rates for the different types of accommodation are stated below-
|Type of apartment||Monthly rent|
|Shared flat||300-450 EUR|
|Studio apartment||400-600 EUR|
- For temporary stays, students can opt for hostels in and around Goettingen. Single room, twin room, four-bed-room, five-bed-room, etc. are the options that one can opt for at these hostels.
- The university offers multiple courses for international students in fields of Humanities, Agriculture, Economics, Law, Social Sciences, Medicine, etc. for bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees.
- Half of the doctoral courses and some master’s courses are fully taught in English language. Some popular courses from this category are M.Sc. Mathematics, M.Sc. Applied Computer Sciences, M.A. International Economics, M.A. Global Business and Master of Law.
- MBA is taught at the university under the category of Agribusiness course. This suggests the blending of the essentials of the field of management with respect to the agricultural and food industry. It’s a part-time course with German as the medium of instructions.
- M.Sc. is International Economics is a popularly chosen course at the university that offers the opportunity for getting a double degree. The degree takes into consideration proficiency of students in German and English both.
- Certificate courses for a period of 2-3 semesters are also offered at University of Goettingen. Communication Skills, Writing Skills, Social Responsibility, and Media Skills are some of the many programs that students can choose from.
University of Goettingen Admission Process
How to apply?
Admission Portal: Online Portal at the official website
Admission Fee: 65 EUR valuation fee for assessment of foreign university entrance qualifications.
Supporting Documents: The following documents are mandatory to successfully submit the application form at the university-
- University entrance qualification result
- English language proof (IELTS or TOEFL)
- German language proof (TestDAf and DSH)
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume (recommended)
- Motivation letter (recommended)
- Consent by parents (for students under 18 years of age)
- Official transcripts and approved translation.
- Academic records.
- Statement of purpose.
- Letter of reference
- Copy of passport.
- Financial guarantee proof.
- APS certificate for students from China, Mongolia and Vietnam.
University of Goettingen Cost of Attendance
The institute charges semester fees that keep changing every semester. The semester fee for winter 2020-21 is 384.66 EUR. The international students who have received scholarships from German public funds will be charged 309.66 EUR semester fees.
The cost of living in Germany when enrolled at the institute is about 750 EUR which includes accommodation rates, books, food, health insurance, etc. Semester fees comprises enrollment fees and re-registration. Enrollment fees breakdown is as follows-
|Administration fee||75 EUR|
|Students body fee||9 EUR|
|Culture ticket||9 EUR 99 Cent|
|Railway ticket||135 EUR 42 Cent|
|Bus ticket||48 EUR 90 Cent|
|Studentenwerk fee||97 EUR|
- The University of Goettingen does not offer scholarships in Germany for international students itself just like most of the German universities. But, students can finance their studies through external German agencies.
- Heinrich Boll Scholarships is reserved for international students who are venturing into research programs. 800 EUR is awarded to a master’s student, while 1000 EUR is awarded to a bachelor’s student.
- RISE Germany (Research Internships in Science and Engineering) is awarded to research interns. 750 EUR per month is awarded to the awardee.
- EPOS DAAD scholarship is reserved for development related postgraduate courses. 750 EUR per month is proposed for graduate courses and 1000 EUR is proposed for doctoral courses.
Exclusive benefits are reserved for alumni of the institute, which are-
- Building a network through alumni events.
- Joining the regional group to discover alumni from your locality.
- Invitation for alumni events.
- Mentoring budding scholars and funding start ups.
- Ernst Karl Abbe, German Physicist and Social Reformer.
- Hans Georg Dehmelt, Physicist and Nobel Prize Winner.
- Herbert Kroemer, Nobel Prize in Physics.
PraxisBörse, the official career fair of the university invites more than 100 companies that are on a lookout for employees, interns and trainees. Stellenwerk is the job portal for the university where students can find the company and position of their choice.
The university also organizes field trips to educate students about market needs, thereby preparing them for placement later. Career Service at the university aims at helping students from a very early stage to make them proficient in the skills needed for career advancement.
Students interested in employment at the university itself can look out for offers being posted on the website. If one fits the requirement, then he can apply for filling the vacancy.
Find a Program
Times Higher Education
Ranked #126 - #150
Ranked #126 - #150
Ranked #101 - #125
Ranked #301 - #400
Clinical Science (International)
View More >>
QS World University
All of my cousins have studied abroad. Its a kind of legacy going on that every student from my family is doing at least one degree from abroad. To continue the legacy I also decided to pursue my masters from abroad. I decided on Germany because of the less cost of studies. I applied to the college via their online admission portal and paid € 65 for it.
Course Curriculum :
My masters program combines plant and animal breeding. The general and subject-related goals of the course of study include, among other things, the acquisition of knowledge of animal and plant breeding, its methods and procedures; the ability to apply advanced academic/scientific-analytical laboratory methods or technical methods or qualitative and quantitative survey methodology and to interpret their results; etc. The course curriculum is providing in-depth knowledge required to excel in that field.
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary