Heidelberg University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
As Germany’s oldest higher education institution, Heidelberg University first opened its gates in 1386. From just being a centre of Calvinism in the 60s, the university has progressed to become a leader in the field of engineering, medicine, life sciences, and classical & ancient history. Currently, an array of Heidelberg University courses include 58 bachelor’s, 69 master’s consecutive, 10 master’s non-consecutive, and 21 masters of education programs.
Along with achieving a globally impressive reputation as an educational institution, the public university is also a leader amongst research-based universities in Europe. A survey conducted by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) revealed that the university is among the most popular venues for international doctoral candidates. A result of its collaboration, on research activities, with organizations like the German Cancer Research Centre.
Heidelberg University Rankings
- Ranked #3 in Germany, #17 in Europe, and #66 in the world by QS World University Ranking 2021.
- Ranked #3 in Germany, #13 in Europe, and #44 in the world by Times Higher Education 2020.
- Ranked #1 in Germany, #12 in Europe, and #47 in the world by Shanghai Ranking of World Universities 2019.
As per other ranking agencies as well, the Heidelberg University ranks amongst the top 100 universities in the world.
Heidelberg University Highlights
|Total Funding Received (2018)||764.9 million EUR|
|Number of Degree Programs (Winter 18/19)||164|
|Mode of Programs||Full-time; Part-time|
|Total Appointed Professors||458|
|International Student Percentage||18.6%|
|Female Student Percentage||54.6%|
|Annual Estimated Cost of Attendance (international)||14,500 EUR|
|Contact International Office||+49 6221 54-5454 | firstname.lastname@example.org|
Heidelberg University Programs
- The university comprises 12 faculties, 2 of which are medical centers. Around 180-degree programs are offered at Heidelberg University at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels.
- 14 master’s programs are offered at Heidelberg University for both continuing students(minimum 1 yr of work experience) and consecutive masters students.
- Some of the master’s programs offered in English include Biomedical Engineering, Computational Linguistics, Economics, International Health, Molecular Biosciences, and Physics.
- Many disciplines offered by the university are among the top-ranked subjects in the world. Some of the top-ranked subjects offered by the university include Life Sciences, Medicine, Classics & Ancient History, Biology, Pharmacology, Geography, etc.
Heidelberg University Campus and Accommodation
- The Heidelberg student union operates 65 halls of residence. However, due to high demand for rooms, only 13% of all new students can find cheap accommodation with the student union, nearly half of which are international students.
- Many students decide to stay in hostels before they can arrange a proper housing facility. Boarding House Heidelberg, Steffi’s Hostel, Lotte Hostel, and Monteurzimmer-Heidelberg.de are some of the cheap hostels available in the city.
- The cost of living in Heidelberg is comparatively higher than cost of living in most parts of Germany, hence, international students should be financially adept before choosing to pursue an education here.
Heidelberg University Admissions
The academic year at Heidelberg University is divided into two semesters: Winter Semester (October 1 to March 31) and Summer Semester (April 1 to September 30)
- For Undergraduate Programs, applications must be submitted before July 15 (Winter) and January 15 (Summer).
- For Masters and Research Programs, the admission application deadlines vary.
- For Dentistry, Pharmacy, and Medicine programs, the deadline is July 15.
Due to COVID 19 outbreak, the university has extended upcoming winter semester deadline till August 20, 2020. The deadline extension is applicable for UG and selective PG programs whose admissions are conducted internally by the university itself.
How to Apply?
All applicants from non-EU/EEA countries are required to apply for admission online on the university website.
Candidates seeking admission to courses with national restrictions (medicine, pharmacy, and dentistry) should apply through Uni-assist for document verification.
While there may be specific a few specific program requirements, overall admission requirements at the university are:
- Certification: High School Official Transcripts; Undergraduate Degree Certificate (master’s applicants)
- Tests to Study in Germany (Language Proficiency): DSH- Level 2; Goethe Certificate 2; TestDaF (TDN 4 or above); Certificate of ”telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule”
- Supporting Documents: Motivation letter; CV; TestAS result (for select graduate-level programs)
- Financial Statement: Bank Statement/Tax return showcasing the ability to spend 725 EUR per month
- Health Insurance: Proof of substantial health insurance.
- For admission to doctoral programs, prospective students must find a supervisor willing to support their research proposal.
Inability to meet the German language requirements is a problem that can be solved by taking up language preparatory courses at the Heidelberg University, or in your own home country. The university also has an International Summer School which offers 4-week German courses at different levels.
To pursue any program at Heidelberg University, it is mandatory for international students (non-EU nationals) to apply for and obtain a German student visa. Documents required along with the visa application are listed below:
- Cover letter stating the purpose and duration of your stay
- Two recent passport-size photographs
- Acceptance letter from the university
- Proof of available finances ( 8,700 EUR per year) and health insurance
- Proof of proficiency in English and German
The German student visa application costs 75 EUR and takes around 25 days to process.
Heidelberg University Cost of Attendance
Heidelberg University charges its international students from non-EU/EEA countries a tuition fee of EUR 1,500 per semester since the winter semester 2017/18.
|Expense||Annual Amount in EUR|
|Tuition Fee (non-EU/EEA)||1,500 x 2= 3,000|
|Semester Fee||169.25 x 2= 338.50|
|Health Insurance ( 90 EUR/mo)||105 x 12= 1,260|
|Living Expenses ( 735 EUR/mo)||835 x 12= 10,020|
The table above shows the estimated cost of attendance for international students (non-EU/EEA) studying at Heidelberg University. In some special cases, candidates may apply for exemption from the tuition fee.
Heidelberg University Scholarships & Financial Aid
Presently, the university doesn’t offer any scholarships or financial aid programs to students. While international students will have to bear the cost of living themselves, they can apply for scholarships offered by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and other German organizations. Some of these scholarship programs include
- DeutschlandStipendum: Offered to high performing international students commencing UG/PG coursework program at a German university. The scholarship is offered through the partnership of federal government and private sponsors. Recipients get an award of 330 USD per month
- German Chancellor Fellowship: 50 scholarships worth 2170 EUR, 2470 EUR, and 2770 EUR are awarded to students from India, Brazil, the USA, China, and Russia.
- KAAD Scholarship: Awarded to students from Africa, Asia, Middle East or Latin America, commencing PG studies at German University. Recipients are awarded a substantial tuition fee waiver amount that varies every year.
Apart from these, the institution recommends international students to seek scholarships by the organizations in their own countries.
As per THE World University Rankings 2019, Heidelberg University was placed at #45 globally and #4 in Germany. The university graduates (both domestic and international) can earn an annual salary between 50,000 EUR to 100,000 EUR. Furthermore, few top employers in the area like Heidelberg Cement, SAP, ABB Ltd. offer generous annual packages worth even 120,000 EUR.
FIND A PROGRAM
|Heidelberg University||Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich|
|collegedunia score||5.7 Out of 10||6.2 Out of 10|
|ranking (overall)||# 35 Times Higher Education 2021 |
# 42 Times Higher Education 2021
# 54 US News 2021
|# 32 Times Higher Education 2021 |
# 32 Times Higher Education 2021
# 46 US News 2021
|subject strength||# 28 for Sciences by Times Higher Education 2021 |
# 33 for Arts by Times Higher Education 2021
# 33 for Humanities by Times Higher Education 2021
|# 18 for Arts by Times Higher Education 2021 |
# 18 for Humanities by Times Higher Education 2021
# 21 for Sciences by Times Higher Education 2021
|programs||UG Programs -37|
PG Programs -59
|UG Programs -49|
PG Programs -23
|exam score||GRE - 320|
TOEFL - 105
IELTS - 7.5
|GRE - 330|
GMAT - 700
IELTS - 8
TOEFL - 110
|cost to study||Average Tuition Fees 382 USD|
[For UG Program]
Average Tuition Fees 382 USD
[For PG Program]
Hostel + Meal - 22375 USD Per Year
|Average Tuition Fees 287 USD|
[For UG Program]
Average Tuition Fees 287 USD
[For PG Program]
Hostel + Meal - 12920 USD Per Year
|placement (average package)|
Graduate Employability Rankings (THE- 2019)- #45; Average salary 62,000 EUR; Top recruiters- Heidelberg Cement, SAP, ABB Ltd., etc.; Highest paid degrees include: Masters (163,000 USD), Masters in Finance (114,000 USD), Masters in Science (112,000 USD), Bachelor of Arts (108,000 USD), Doctorate (78,000 USD), etc.
Graduate Employability rankings: #121-130.
German language proficiency (DSH); English language proficiency (for programs taught in English); higher-education entrance qualification equivalent to German qualification; assessment test (if the higher education qualification does not meet the German equivalency); Professional experience; other subject-specific requirements; Academic transcripts; writing statement; Additional documents (motivational letter, CV, language certificates, etc.)
German language proficiency is required for most UG program and some PG programs, aptitude tests are conducted for various advanced courses
|collegedunia reviews||8.3/10 Read 3 reviews||8.4/10 Read 3 reviews|
|-||Read Full Comparison|
Winter Deadline Deadlines
Summer Deadline Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
View More >>
QS World University
Good academics. The course provided was comprehensive and aligned with my interests. University also promotes research.
Course Curriculum :
Strong academics. Very demanding. Requires lot of work on part of the student. Lot of material is covered in a short span of time.
World university ranking and the rich infrastructure are my only reasons for which I got attracted and opted for this university. One of my cousins also graduated from this university and now is doing great and earning a handsome amount. I have applied online through the official website of the university. No application fee was charged.
Course Curriculum :
The emphasis of this application-oriented course curriculum is on the advanced mathematical branch of Scientific Computing. The course is providing us with in-depth expert knowledge and scientific methodology to make us ready for the industry.
Studying at one of the renowned and well-established university has always been my aim. So I applied to various universities in Germany. And luckily I was selected in two to three of them. Then after a research work, I selected Heidelberg University to pursue my further studies.
Course Curriculum :
The course that I am studying aims 100% to equip us with a solid understanding of the fundamentals of Chemistry. I am gaining basic knowledge in a variety of fields, acquire experimental skills. Also, I am developing the ability to think independently and behave responsibly. Once I graduate, I will be having a good overview of the nature of chemical bonds and I will be able to apply appropriate methods to solve research questions in the field of chemistry.
- Bus Station
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
- Train Station
- Super Market
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary