University of Kaiserslautern: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Founded in 1970, the University of Kaiserslautern is one of the highly ranked global universities in Germany known for its technical training approach in courses across bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels. Primarily a public research institute, the university is a coveted choice for studying in Germany that invites applicants from different corners of the world who are equipped with the basics of the German language.
Apart from the technical courses, language courses available at the university are highly popular among international candidates that form nearly 16% of the student population at the organization. The institute combines traditional learning with modern approaches such as distance learning, self-learning centers, etc., and makes it more accessible for aspirants across the globe. Kaiserslautern’s Mathematics and Computer Science are two highly unparalleled and sought-after programs in the country.
Admissions at the University of Kaiserslautern are available in the 2 seasonal intakes of Winter and Summer and follow different application deadlines for its diverse range of courses. The institute requires a non-refundable fee of 50 EUR from all its aspirants along with the completed application forms. The university has a high graduate employment rate of over 90% and thus can help its students and some of the high-paying jobs in Germany after graduation.
University of Kaiserslautern Rankings
The latest rankings of the University of Kaiserslautern on various portals are as follows:
- Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021
- 601-800th by Times Higher Education in the World University Rankings 2021
- 101-150th in Young University Rankings 2020
- U.S. News and World Report 2021
- #978 in Best Global Universities
- #387 in Best Global Universities in Europe
- #56 in Best Global Universities in Germany
- #693 in Engineering (subject rankings)
- #671 in Physics (subject rankings)
University of Kaiserslautern at a Glance
|Budget||208.7 million euros|
|Number of International Students||16%|
|Number of Students per Staff||53.9%|
|Applications||Online / Via Post|
University of Kaiserslautern Courses
- The university offers an array of courses for international students including specialization across 12 sub-divisions- Architecture, Civil Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Electrical and Computer Engineering, IT, Mechanical Engineering and Process Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Social Sciences, Spatial and Environment Planning, and Economics.
- From the twelve broad categories, applicants can choose a specific area of study from the multiple courses offered.
- Business Management and Administration, being popular courses can be approached both through full-time study or distance learning programs. An internship of twelve weeks is a part of the Business Administration full-time program.
- Distance and Independent Studies Center (DISC) offers an opportunity for continuing studies from a distance. Both certificate and master courses can be chosen for distance learning.
- Business and Management, Business Law for Business Practice, and HR Development are some popular DISC courses.
- UT also offered a certificate in specific programs. They include construction engineering, chemistry, electrical engineering, metal technology, mathematics, physics, geography, sports, and more.
University of Kaiserslautern Campus
- The university campus is situated in the scenic city of Kaiserslautern, surrounded by numerous research institutes that have a rapport with the institute.
- The campus is pretty closed with a spread of academic and research blocks and the residential space at the center.
- In TUK, WLAN (Wireless Local Area Network) provides wireless communication and internet connection for computers and phones.
- The university offers a very interactive campus life, with theatre groups, campus TV, class choir, big band, and many more art and culture-related activities operating all across.
- Library facilities for academic and research purposes, computer systems, free internet access, canteen, student service center are few amenities available on campus.
- Life at Kaiserslautern is beyond the FCL Football club. It offers opportunities for discovering the countryside, shopping, sports, nightlights, café visits, etc.
University of Kaiserslautern Accommodation
- Students have the provision of living on or off-campus. But, with fewer on-campus opportunities, it’s highly recommended to fill a form for accommodation on a priority basis.
- The residence hall, which is centrally located at Kaiserslautern comprises mostly single bedrooms with an attached kitchen and washroom.
- There is also a common room with facilities such as an oven, dryer, washing machine, vacuum cleaner, etc. Bus service is also available for students living at the residence hall.
- The rent for the on-campus lodging is 230 EUR including utilities.
- Private accommodation/off-campus lodging is readily available at decent rates.
- For a single-person apartment, with a bathroom, kitchen, and basic utilities, the estimated cost must be around 290 EUR. However, if you wish to share a flat with other students, this cost can get reduced to 230 EUR/month.
- University guest houses are available for temporary accommodation at 420 EUR/month and are available for a period of three months.
- There are several short-term off-campus accommodations too. Students can pick from hotels, holiday flats, and guesthouse rooms online.
University of Kaiserslautern Application Process
Students considering taking admission at the University of Kaiserslautern need to take care of the following admission requirements:
Application Portal: Online portal EMECS platform
Application Fee: 50 EUR
Basic Admission Requirements
Following documents are mandatory for successful submission of application-
- Curriculum vitae
- Proof of nationality
- Copy of the previous degree
- Official transcripts
- Translation of transcripts and records (if originally not in English)
- Motivation letter
- Two letters of recommendation
- Health insurance certificate
- Certificate of German Language Skills
- Proof of Internships completed (if specified in the course)
- Scores of tests required to study in Germany
University of Kaiserslautern Cost of Attendance
For all the prospective candidates seeking enrollment at the university in the upcoming sessional year, it is highly recommended to plan their financial budget way in advance. This includes the basic cost of living comprising tuition fee, personal expenses, and cost of accommodation in Germany.
At the university, students pay a social contribution per semester. For on-campus students, the social contribution is 24,523 EUR and for distance learning, it is 102 EUR. Other expenses apart from the aforesaid are as follows-
|Types of Expenses||Estimated Cost (EUR)|
|Cost of accommodation||230-290|
|Health insurance cost||80 EUR|
University of Kaiserslautern Scholarships
The university offers financial aid and scholarships in Germany for international students. Students need to mostly fill in for financial assistance in the application form itself.
Some studentships available for aspirants at the institute are as follows:
- DAAD Graduation Scholarship is awarded to those who have 25 credit points per semester. The scholarship amount ranges from 400-800 EUR and it’s available for a period of ten months. For DAAD scholarship, one needs to make an online application.
- DAAD STIBET is reserved for doctoral and specially admitted students. It’s available for a time period of 6-12 months.
- ISGS Doctoral Scholarships are reserved for international applicants who need financial assistance to pursue Ph.D.
- Scholarship Foundation Rhineland-Palatinate (Scholarships For Talented Students Who Are Particularly Characterized By Their Social Commitment): 300 EUR per month; Above-average performance, involvement at the university, Commitment outside the university.
- Excellence Funding: 400.00, or 500.00 (for BA) 800.00 EUR(for Doctorate); Good performance with at least 25 credit points per semester.
University of Kaiserslautern Alumni Network
- The University of Kaiserslautern has reserved some exclusive benefits for the alumni members-
- Networking is a fundamental benefit. Being invited to alumni events helps in building a huge network.
- Alumni can share job or internship requirements as employers free of cost at the job portal of the university.
- The institute offers a year of free LinkedIn premium membership to the alumni. This offer can be used only once per person.
- The university also offers opportunities for continuing education.
- Subscription to newsletter and website.
- Janika Ofterdinger, Department of Business Studies and Economics Alumna
- Dr. Khader Awwad, Department of Biology Alumna
- Ulf Mayhofer, Department of Computer Science Alumna
University of Kaiserslautern Placements
The University of Kaiserslautern organizes multiple training programs in order to equip students with the market knowledge for placements. Internships, job offers, training offers are updated time and again on the online portal. CV and personal search criteria can be updated in order to get preferable job opportunities. This helps in getting notified for suitable jobs.
Students generally have to take a placement test in order to demonstrate knowledge and credentials for the job. Mechanical engineering pass outs mostly secure jobs readily. Additionally, Project Management is the popularly chosen field for placement. According to PayScale, the average salary in Kaiserslautern, Rheinland-Pfalz (Rhineland-Palatinate) is 48,000 EUR.
The subject-wise average starting salary for the University of Kaiserslautern graduates is given in the table below:
|Subject Area||Average Salary (EUR)|
|Language and Cultural Studies||37,800|
According to the level of study, bachelor’s degree holders can earn 43,600 EUR while master’s degree graduates can earn 48,600 EUR.
The ISGS Career Service at TUK facilitates students' journey to the labor market by pointing out options for further studies and job entry. It provides information regarding job and traineeship via ISGS Newsroom and social media posts on the ISGS Facebook page. The Networking Dialogs helps students to connect with executives to start their respective careers.
Several workshops are held in English and German for Ph.D. students to help them acquire skills in areas of communication, human resources development & management, conflict, presentation, etc. Industrial internships give a closer insight into education into professional practice. The Job Application series help masters and doctoral students to optimize their motivation letter, CV, preparation for a job interview as per the needs of German recruiters.
Ques. What are the possible intakes at the University of Kaiserslautern?
Ans. Students can apply to TU Kaiserslautern in the Winter term and Summer term.
Ques. What are the tuition fees for international students at the University of Kaiserslautern?
Ans. There are no program fees for any courses at the University of Kaiserslautern. Although, there is a semester fee which covers transportation and registration fee.
Ques. Is University of Kaiserslautern a free university?
Ans. In the State of Rhineland-Palatinate where Kaiserslautern is located, the bachelor’s and master’s degrees are offered free of charge. However, this does not mean that it is a free university. There is only a semester contribution fee of 250 EUR to be paid for each semester.
Ques. Does the University of Kaiserslautern offer scholarships?
Ans. Yes. University of Kaiserslautern offers a number of scholarship opportunities for German as well as international students. Some of the scholarships include DAAD Contact Scholarship, DAAD Supervision Scholarship, DAAD Graduation Scholarship, Excellence Funding, Scholarship for Female Beginners, etc.
Ques. Which documents are required for international undergraduate at TU Kaiserslautern?
Ans. The following documents must be attached with the application:
- University certificates or corresponding certificates with grades
- A school-leaving certificate with grades for the individual examination subjects
- German language skills Certificate
- Proof of completed internships
These documents must be sent by mail with the application - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ques. What is the English language requirement at TU Kaiserslautern?
Ans. Students enrolling in English-language master’s program must have the following test scores:
- TOEFL (PBT) - 550
- TOEFL (IBT) - 79/80
- TOEFL (CBT) - 213
- IELTS - 6.0
Ques. What are the German language proficiency requirements for admission to German-taught programs at University of Kaiserslautern?
Ans. Students have to possess German proficiency of at least DSH with level DSH-2 or DSH-3. The exam takes place at University itself in March and September.
Ques. How can I exempt myself from German Language Proficiency for a course in German at the University of Kaiserslautern?
Ans. Student can exempt themselves from the exam by the evidence of either of the following:
- German Abitur
- Final certificate from a preparatory college in Germany ("Feststellungsprüfung")
- the "Small German Language Diploma" from the Goethe Institute
- the "Great German Language Diploma” from the Goethe Institute
- the TELC C1 Hochschule exam
- the Unicert III certificate for German
- TestDaF certificate (TDN-4 in all parts)
Ques. How much is the rent of accommodation at University of Kaiserslautern?
Ans. The monthly rent of accommodation at University of Kaiserslautern is 250-350 EUR.
Ques. What is the current enrollment period?
Ans. The enrollment period for all bachelor’s and master’s students in the upcoming Summer semester 2021 is March 1 to April 16.
Find a Program
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
Times Higher Education
Ranked #601 - #800
Ranked #401 - #500
Ranked #301 - #400
Computer Science (International)
Ranked #401 - #500
Ranked #601 - #800
I got to know about the University of Kaiserslautern through a college fair and after going through its official website I decided to apply for my masters. My high school and bachelor's marks helped to get through this German university. I applied through an online portal EMECS platform along with € 50.
Course Curriculum :
I studied one of the most flexible course. Some topics such as scientific foundations of computer science, fundamentals of complex IT systems, and important competencies of software development were taught in the classroom. This research-oriented program also provided me the necessary scientific fundamentals. I also chose a specific field of computer science as my Specialization.
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
- Train Station
- Bus Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary