Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Johannes Gutenberg University (JGU) of Mainz is a distinguished German university situated in the heart of Rhineland-Palatinate, one of the 16 administrative regions in Germany. It was established in 1477 as the University of Mainz. In 1946, it was reconstructed and given the new name JGU. The university has 11% of its total students as International students. The University of Mainz is a part of the German U15- a collaboration of Germany’s top comprehensive, research-focused higher education institutes, attracting a number of overseas students to study in Germany.
University of Mainz Rankings
University of Mainz is
- Ranked 244th worldwide and 20th nationwide according to the university ranking by CWUR 2016.
- Ranked in 301-350th in world university ranking and 151-200th in European Teaching ranking in 2019 according to Times Higher Education.
|Number of courses||260|
|Number of professors||560|
|Budget||504 million EUR|
|For general inquiry||+49 6131 39-22122|
|Admission helpdesk||Online portal of the University|
|Official Website||+49 6131 39-28339 | firstname.lastname@example.org|
University of Mainz Campus
- As the only German university of its size, the campus of JGU houses almost all the institutes close to the city center, on which four partner institutes for non-university cutting-edge research are also located:
- Max Planck Institute for Chemistry (MPI-C)
- Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research (MPI-P)
- Helmholtz Institute Mainz (HIM)
- Institute for Molecular Biology (IMB)
- There are ten faculties which come under University of Mainz. Some of these are:
- Faculty of Catholic Theology,
- Faculty of Social Science-Media-Sports,
- Faculty of Philosophy and Philology
- Faculty of Biology
- Faculty of Physics-Mathematics and Computer Science etc..
- In addition to the ten faculties, the University also has two independent art colleges, namely:
- Academy for Music
- Academy for Art.
- With the studicard issued, students can enjoy a variety of foods, drinks and other refreshments at the large sections of cafeteria, lounge and canteens located at the campus
University of Mainz Residence
- Johannes Gutenberg University provides the international student housing inside the campus area as long as the student applies within the deadline.
- The residence halls are Protestant Student Center, Catholic University Congregation and Studentenwohnheim Rhein-Main.
- Other than these, these are other off-campus options of housing in Germany for international students.
- The student can search for apartments and rooms on the private housing market and on some profitable and non-profitable dormitories.
- Some housing that closes by is the shared flats near the student canteen in the Philosophicum (Jakob-Welder-Weg 18), the ReWi-Haus (Jakob-Welder-Weg 9), and SB II (Colonel-Kleinmann-Weg 2).
- The General Student Committee (AsTa) also offers accommodation to students in coordination with private offers.
University of Mainz Programs
- Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz has over 10 faculties that offer a broad range of study areas.
- The University of Mainz offers over 200 courses for bachelor degrees, master degrees and doctorate degrees.
- It offers a wide range of courses , the range of subjects ranges from the humanities to economics, social and legal sciences to the natural sciences, medicine and dentistry, as well as artistic subjects such as music and arts, sports, theology and interpreting.
- The media subjects offer a particularly high demand for the range of courses.
University of Mainz Admission Process
- Getting admitted to JGU involves stepwise processes.
- The admission process, Application portal and requirements are the same for both Bachelors and Masters degree. These are given below:
- Apply for recognition of foreign certificates.
- Enroll for preparatory courses.
- Apply for the desired choice of study.
- Application portal
- Universal online portal of the Institute or
- The offline application process
- Application fee
- Recognition fee is 60 Euros
- After that the application fee is free of cost.
- Admission requirements
- Applicants with foreign certificates should check the validation of their certificates according to standard of German abitur.
- The certificates should be submitted in the online portal.
- The recognition process usually takes around 6 weeks to complete.
- After the recognition from the university is granted, the applicants can apply for their desired choice of study.
- The documents to be submitted at the time of apply for recognition are:
- School leaving certificates, university certificates and all other official transcripts.
- Unauthorized copy of the personal page of passport.
- After recognition of the foreign certificates, the students have to test for the DSH course to prove their language proficiency for most of the courses whether it is bachelor or Master course.
- After all the requirements are met applicants can finally apply for their desired program by online and offline application process.
- All the admission restricted courses need online applications whereas all the other courses need application via offline process.
Cost of Attendance
- The tuition fee is free for the first degree students irrespective of the program they chose.
- The semester fee to be paid for each semester at the University of Mainz, which includes the semester ticket is 326.11 euros for the winter semester 2020/21.
- The semester fee can be broken down in the slabs mentioned below in the table:
|Expenses||Cost in EUR|
|University sports committee||1.60|
|Student aid fund||2.00|
- For the second and postgraduate studies there are tuition fees or contributions of EUR 650 per semester.
- In addition to this, running costs of around 760 EUR. This includes all the expenses for rent, food, health insurance, learning materials, communication etc.
University of Mainz Financial Aid
- There are a large number of scholarships provided to the students of University of Mainz. These are based on merit, certain sections of people, doctorates etc.
- The scholarship portal can be accessed from here
- The Studierendenwerk grants various loan opportunities for the students studying at different phases of study at the University.
- These are some short term and interest-free loans benefitting the student’s study process greatly16.
University of Mainz Placement
- JGU services offers numerous companies to work with University of Mainz from IT applications and material analysis to help with recruiting and training to quality management.
University of Mainz Alumni
- Notable Mainz University alumni include:
- Malu Dreyer (SPD, Minister President of Rhineland-Palatinate)
- Rainer Brüderle (FDP, Federal Minister for Economics and Technology)
- Stanisław Potrzebowski, one of leaders of the ridnour movement in Poland.
FIND A PROGRAM
Times Higher Education
RANKED #301 - #350
RANKED #176 - #200
RANKED #176 - #200
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #301 - #400
View More >>
QS World University
Settling down in Germany is what I always wanted to. So learning their native language is a must. And studying the language in the hub of it is the best thing. Thus I applied for the course in various German universities. And my application was accepted in the Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz.
Course Curriculum :
The main focus of my curriculum is on the ability of grasping the complex issues, examining them critically, reflecting on them in connection with other issues, and present a scientific argument according to specific requirements. The text also focuses on the text as the basic format for all media. The curriculum also includes the advance knowledge of the linguistic system of present-day German, as well as its historical development, and introduces them to current research issues. More Emphasis is placed on the core research fields of historical linguistics, linguistic theory, language use, and comparative linguistics.
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
- Bus Station
- Train Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary