University of Muenster: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Westfälische Wilhelms Universität Münster, also known as the University of Muenster, is a public research center and one of the best as well as the largest universities in Germany.
Since 1907, the institute bears the name of the last German emperor Frederick William Victor Albert of Prussia. Located in North Rhine-Westphalia, the most densely populated administrative region in Germany, the University of Muenster has developed a reputation for excellence in cross-disciplinary research in Medicine, Business Studies, Mathematics, and Chemistry.
It has over 550 partnership agreements with universities and academic institutions all over the world, from the Netherlands to China. With a total enrollment of 45,721 students, it has 8% of its total intake as international students. The female to male ratio is 55:45.
It offers around 280 Bachelor’s, Masters and Doctoral Degrees across 120 fields of study. 700 visiting researchers from around the world are currently lecturing and doing research at the University.
University of Muenster Rankings
The University of Muenster is one of the most reputed institutions in Germany. It has been
- Ranked 189th among all the world universities by the World University Rankings, 2020.
- Ranked 200th globally and 14th among all the German universities by CWUR.
- Ranked as the third-best German university in the size-independent ranking by the Leiden University Rankings.
- Ranked 356th among all the world universities by the QS Global World Rankings, 2020.
|Budget||EURO 642.1 million|
|For general inquiry||+49 251 83 22229|
|Website||University of Muenster|
University of Muenster Campus
- It is the third-largest university in Germany with its campus located in North Rhine-Westphalia.
- It has two Clusters of Excellence: "Religion and Politics" and "Mathematics Münster", 15 Collaborative Research Centres (SFB), 4 research training groups, 9 University-operated graduate schools, 9 Emmy Noether independent junior research groups, 1 international Max Planck research school, 1 Max Planck institute, 1 Fraunhofer institute and 1 Helmholtz institute.
- The university boasts of one of the biggest libraries in the region. In addition to getting access to a large number of books, the students also get to use high-speed internet, download information material, forms, and other print products. Also, it allows students to publish books, magazines, articles, and other works.
- The University of Muenster offers a wide range of possibilities to improve foreign language skills – either as part of the degree program or as extra-curricular activities.
University of Muenster Residence
- The Studierendenwerk (Student Support Services) operates 19 centrally-located student halls of residence in Muenster for about 4500 students. The quality of the rooms they provide ranges from inexpensive shared rooms to fully furnished one-person apartments
- The General Student Committee (AStA) also offers a housing exchange for apartment seekers
- The students should apply for a room as soon as possible because it’s often time-consuming for finding a place to stay in Muenster.
University of Muenster Programs
- The University of Muenster offers more than 280-degree programs through its 15 different faculties across 120 fields of study.
- Applied linguistics, Business Administration, Educational science, Biology, Chemistry, English are a few of the courses from the long list of courses which have both bachelor's and master’s programs.
- Business informatics, English/American studies, Jewish studies are some of the courses that are exclusive for the bachelor program.
- Information system, German law, British, American, and Postcolonial Studies, Biotechnology are some of the courses which are exclusive for the master’s program only.
University of Munster Application Process
Like all other German Universities, the students have to get their previous educational degrees recognized according to the German status for the University of Muenster admissions. If the certificates don’t get registered then students have to pass an assessment test called "Feststellungsprüfung". After this, Students have to choose a program to apply for. Students can apply for three courses at most.
- Application portal: Online portal of University
- Application fee: Not required.
- Documents required for Undergraduate Admissions-
- Proof of German language skills
- Certificate confirming the passing of the Feststellungsprüfung (assessment test) administered at a Studienkolleg (foundation course)
- University transcript(s) or degree certificates (if applicable)
- University entrance examination (if applicable)
- Foreign secondary school-leaving certificate
- Complete CV
- Documents required for Masters Admissions-
- All the foreign university entrance qualifications.
- Additional qualifications (work placements, internships, etc.)
- Letter of motivation
- Certificate of additional language knowledge (e.g. English, French, etc.)
- Bachelor's degree certificate with the minimum grade/Transcript of Records spanning at least five semesters
- Certificate of sufficient language proficiency (German or English depending on the degree program)
- Transcript of Records including GPA
- Application Deadlines -
- Winter - May 31(UG), August 20 (Graduates)
- Summer - November 30
University of Muenster Cost of Attendance
- The University of Muenster does not charge Tuition fees except the semester fee.
- The semester fee includes expenses of Supplementary student insurance, University radio station, Semester ticket for cultural events, etc.
|Visa processing Fee per year||100|
|Cost of Living (Monthly)||850|
The expenses (Cost of Living) can be broken down as shown in the following table:
|Learning materials||20 Euros|
|Travel expenses||94 Euros|
|Health insurance/medicine||80 Euros|
University of Muenster Financial Aid
- WWU Pro Talent Scholarship, Company grants or foundations and grants from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) to help students financially who have particularly outstanding academic achievements or certain social or intercultural commitment.
- Students can receive financial support from the International Office's Emergency Grant at short notice if due to some unforeseen reasons, they find themselves in a financial emergency.
- The graduation scholarship is a short-term scholarship for international students of the Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU) who are in a financially difficult situation shortly before the end of their studies (not a language course or doctorate).
- The Pro talent scholarship program promotes students with outstanding academic achievement. They receive a stipend of 300 EUROs per month which enables them to concentrate on completing their studies
- There are various low-risk, zero-interest student loan processes that the students can apply for.
University of Muenster Alumni
- The Alumni Club is the university’s largest network with 20,000 registered members. The Alumni Club helps to maintain important contacts through numerous events, services, and a wide range of information.
- Notable alumni of University of Munster include:
- Johannes Georg Bednorz, Nobel Prize winner.
- Kai Diekmann, Chief Editor of Bild, Europe's largest newspaper.
- Dieter Fenske , Chemist.
- Gustav Heinemann, politician, former President of Germany.
University of Muenster Placements
- University of Muenster is one of the largest employers in Münsterland.
- It offers student internships in the University administration for programs like Electrical Engineering, Business Informatics, Energy Management, Social Work, etc.
- It also provides vocational training in more than 18 different occupational fields.
FIND A PROGRAM
Times Higher Education
RANKED #251 - #300
RANKED #101 - #125
RANKED #101 - #125
RANKED #176 - #200
View More >>
i think its a college that can help me grow with and is in a city of Ireland that is less crowded i think the teachers are great and supportive
Course Curriculum :
I think my field of course is best in the university and i feel if a person wants to do software development do it from my college there are many help full thing in my course that a person can learn with fun
It is one of the best universities in Germany. It has a great campus, students come from abroad to study here and the opportunities offered are really good. Although I applied to three more universities, the course that I wanted to pursue was granted by the University of Muenster. When I received the admission letter from the university I was very happy and I immediately took admission here.
Course Curriculum :
The goal of the curriculum is to provide increased knowledge of the subject by planning and carrying out research projects. Through this curriculum, I am getting to acquire the knowledge and understanding of Chemistry.
- Bus Station
- Super Market
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary