University of Potsdam: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
University of Potsdam is a public institution founded in 1991 with the aim of exceling on national and international scale in research and teaching. The university has collaborated with faculties, research institutes and cultural institutes within the region. University of Potsdam offers research in disciplines like natural sciences, humanities and social sciences.
With the foundation of Start-up service and transfer for knowledge and technology, Potsdam University is providing better employment opportunities to the students and as a platform to bring in motion their innovative ideas. In the winter semester of 2019, 22,129 students enrolled in graduate and postgraduate programs in University of Potsdam. International students comprise 21% of all the students studying in the University, making it one of the most multicultural institutes to study in Germany.
University of Potsdam Ranking
University of Potsdam is ranked:
- 701 –750 by QS World University Ranking 2019
- 251-300 by Times Higher Education (THE) 2020 – World University Ranking
- 24 by THE Young University Ranking 2019
- 401 –500 by Shanghai Ranking (ARWU) 2019
- 3 by Start-up Radar 2018
- 11 by Humboldt-Ranking 2017
|Annual Budget||128.8 Million EUR|
|Cost of attendance||767 EUR per month|
|Admission helpdesk||Fax: +49 (331) - 977 - 1065|
University of Potsdam Campus
- University of Potsdam has three campuses:
- Sanssouci park
- The Faculty of Philosophy is located on the New Palace on the edge of Sanssouci Park.
- The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences and the Faculty of Humanities are situated at Potsdam Golm Campus.
- The Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences, Law faculty and Digital engineering faculty can be found on Griebnitzsee, located near the film city of Babelsberg.
- Golm Campus located in Brandenburg is an ideal landscape for combining modern technology, quality of work life and study life.
- Golm campus offers a wide variety of disciplines like life sciences, chemistry, geosciences, physics, mathematics, pedagogy, psychology and music.
University of Potsdam Residence
- Studentenwerk Potsdam (Potsdam’s Association for Student Affairs) provides dormitories to students residing in the University campus.
- Monthly rent of dormitories ranges from 140-435 EUR including heating, electricity, water.
- Rooms are accommodated with common bathrooms, kitchen, refrigerator, oven, storage room and balcony.
- Other than these, many other options are available for accommodation while studying in Germany.
- Students can reside in Schlachtensee with a single room apartment or a WG room at rent of around 250 EUR.
- Apartment includes amenities like fitness, computer rooms and practice room for musicians.
- Students can rent private dormitories with an average minimum of 488 EUR per month.
- Such dormitories are located near the campus providing the students with fully furnished apartments.
University of Potsdam Programs
- University of Potsdam offers UG and PG programs. It offers single subject as well as double subject Bachelor’s degree courses.
- Students can pursue Master’s degrees in various disciplines including Business Administration, Bioinformatics, Nutritional science, History and Psychology.
- The Department of Linguistics offers Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Computational linguistics.
- Various programs by the University include following faculties:
- Faculty of Human sciences
- Law Faculty
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences
- Digital Engineering Faculty
- Faculty of Health Sciences
University of Potsdam Application Process
If considering taking admission to the University of Potsdam, applicants must keep the following requirements in mind.
Application portal: Online portal
Application fee: 75 Euro while applying online
Admissions Deadline: Winter Semester 2020
- Bachelor’s degree – July 15
- Master’s degree – Varying according to different courses
- Application form
- Secondary – level school leaving certificates
- Language certificate for English – IELTS, TOEFL
- University entrance certificate
- Studienkolleg and preparatory course Brandenburg (SVB)
- ID photograph
- Proof of financial support
German Language skills:
- Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (GER) at Level C1
- German language university entrance examination – DSH at Level 2
- Certificate test German as a foreign language –TestDaF
- Certificates issued by the Goethe-Institut
- DSD German language diploma
Optional documents: Resume, internship certificate, letter of recommendation
Please note that it is essential to have health insurance and meet the financial requirements in order to obtain a German study visa.
University of Potsdam Cost of Attendance
- While there is no tuition fee, students have to submit a semester fee of 304 euros to University of Potsdam.
- Semester fee also includes a semester ticket for free public transport for the Berlin-Brandenburg transportation region, VBB.
- Expenses for learning material may vary depending upon the subjects of study.
|Expenses||Amount (per month)|
|Housing fee||314 euros|
|Learning material||20 euros|
|Health insurance||80 euros|
|Semester fee||51 euros|
|Personal expenses||134 euros|
|Total expenses||767 euros|
University of Potsdam Financial Aid
- There are many sources for prospective international students to fund education in Germany.
- Erasmus+ program provides total funding of 4 Billion Euros.
- This program offers financial aid for one year to Bachelor’s and Master’s students at low-interest loans.
- Students with a good academic record and potential are provided with financial support in the form of a scholarship.
- Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes
- KfW loan provides the students with a grant of 650 EUR per month.
- The FH Wedel program offers a scholarship of 350 EUR every month to the students in need of financial support.
University of Potsdam Alumni
- Alumni network helps in connecting former students, current students and University teachers.
- The network also helps to provide the upcoming job opportunities to alumni via job portal.
- Alumni are a part of group discussions and surveys conducted by the University.
- Alumni programs help in benefiting the members throughout life.
- Notable alumni of University of Potsdam
- Hubertus Heil – Federal Minister of Labour and Social Affairs in the fourth cabinet of Chancellor Angela Merkel
- Svenja Jung – German actress
- Franziska Weber –German sprint canoer
- Abraham Taherivand – German computer scientist and board member of Wikimedia Germany
University of Potsdam Placements
- University of Potsdam as an Entrepreneurial University offers sponsorships to start ups with innovative ideology.
- The Founding and Transfer Centre of University of Potsdam combines offers for start-ups, contract and research.
- EXIST start-up grant provides funding to graduates and academics from the university for their business plan.
- Erasmus + is the program launched by European Union with the aim of improving skills of the prospective graduates and postgraduates hence providing them with better employment.
Times Higher Education
Ranked #251 - #300
Ranked #201 - #250
Computer Science (International)
Ranked #126 - #150
Ranked #126 - #150
View More >>
QS World University
Ranked #801 - #1000
My life in Germany is absolutely wonderful. Here, there's something for everyone, from organized field trips to various tournaments on campus. For me, student life is so much more than just studying and spending time in the library. I see it as an opportunity and a privilege to find new friends and build a network for the future. As I applied to the university through an online application, no additional fee was charged.
Course Curriculum :
The course is a combination of practical and theoretical skills. It is an interdisciplinary, research-oriented master's degree program, which imparts scientific insights. The focus here is on a systems biology perspective, dedicated especially to the integration of molecular biological data and the modeling of complex biological systems.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary