Ulm University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Ulm University(UUlm) was established in 1967, and is the youngest public university in the German state of Baden-Württemberg. Imparting quality education to nearly 10,000 students, the research-focused university prioritizes higher learning in Engineering, Medicine, Computer Science, and Natural Science.
Ulm University is situated on a hill in the northern part of the city of Ulm, which is the birthplace of Albert Einstein.
Ulm University is globally ranked at #149 by Times Higher Education, World University Rankings, 2019.
Ulm University Rankings
The University of Ulm has been consistently ranked as among the top young universities in Germany.
- Ranked #=141 in World University Ranking, 2020 by THE
- Ranked #=340 by QS World University Rankings
- Ranked in THE Ranking, ‘150 under 50’ in 2014, 2015,and 2017
- Ranked by QS Ranking, ‘Top 50 under 50’ in 2013, 2014, and 2016
- The University was represented by 26 fellows and four award winners in Humboldt Ranking 2017
Ulm University Highlights
|Number of Study Programs||62|
|Mode of Programs||Full-time; Part-time|
|International Student Percentage||13.5 %|
|Tuition for international (non EU/EEA) students||Charged at €1,500 per semester|
|Contact International Office||+49 (0)731/50-22007 | firstname.lastname@example.org|
Programs Offered at Ulm University
Programs offered at the University of Ulm include bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees, doctoral degrees, and preparatory programs. A total of 62 degree programs are offered by the university which include 37 mster’s, 24 bachelor’s and 1 doctoral degree program. It also offers double degree programs that enhance internationality at the university campus.The university comprises 4 academic faculties:
- Engineering, Computer Science, & Psychology
- Mathematics & Economics
- Medical Faculty
- Natural Sciences
The university also provides courses of study in Philosophy, Philology, Cultural studies, Languages, etc. through its school of Humanities.
For international students, the university offers 12 English-taught masters programs and several dual degree programs. Some of these programs have been tabulated below:
|Program Name||Intake Period||Application Period/Deadline|
|MSc Cognitive Systems||Winter Semester||April 15- June 1|
|MSc Communications Technology||Summer Semester||Pre application: September 1
Main application: October 1
|MSc Finance||Winter Semester||January 1- April 30|
|MSc Molecular Medicine||Winter Semester||March 15- May 15|
|MSc Biology||Winter Semester||January 15- March 15|
|MSc Chemical Engineering||Winter Semester||January 15- March 15|
|MSc Biophysics||Winter Semester||January 15- March 15|
|MSc Energy Science & Technology||Winter Semester||January 15- March 15|
|MSc Advanced Materials||Winter Semester||January 15- March 15|
|MSc Physics||Summer & Winter Semester||Summer: Oct 15- Jan 15
Winter: March 15- June 15
Ulm University also offers an online Advanced Oncology degree completely in English. The program starts in the Winter semester. Duration of this online program is 2 yrs and students pursuing the course are charged a higher tuition fee (€4,875 per semester).
Some of these programs come with admission restrictions, i.e., there are a limited number of seats available and applicants are accepted or rejected on the basis of their academic performance. Entrance to programs with admission restrictions are competitive in nature. Admission restrictions are set on two levels- national and local. All the medicine, pharmacy, and teaching programs offered in Germany have National level restrictions and are highly competitive to get into. Local restrictions are imposed by the university itself. Some of the master’s level programs offered at the University of Ulm with admission restrictions include:
- MSc Cognitive Systems
- MSc Online Advanced Oncology
- MSc Molecular Medicine
- MSc Molecular and Translational Neuroscience
The university also offers a 3-year long doctoral program in Molecular Medicine with English as the language of instruction. In addition, UUlm has masters degree programs and certificate courses for working professionals. Offered through the School of Advanced and Professional Studies, these programs are available both in English and German.International students can choose to study courses(modules) that are taught in English. Every module will provide students with credit points upon completion.
Campus and Accommodation at UUlm
The university campus is situated in Ulm, which is also known as the Science City. The city of Ulm was awarded the European Energy Award in 2007 for its outstanding local energy management and efforts to fight climate change. Ulm is known for its high standards of living and economic strength.
- The university campus has a good infrastructure with lecture halls, canteen, and the library situated in close proximity to each other.
- Ulm is a friendly and safe city with approximately 170,000 people living in it.
- There are 10 residence halls across Ulm and New-Ulm operated by the Studierendenwerk Ulm.
- Rent across various forms of accommodation ranges between €250- €400 depending on the choice of housing. Students need to apply online and to get a room offered by Studierendenwerk Ulm and pay a deposit of €300 when moving in.
- Students can choose to live in shared residence halls, or rent private apartments around the city.
Bus facilities provide ease of communication between the dormitories and university campus. International students can access various facilities offered by the International and Student Service Office to make their stay at Ulm memorable. The university has a buddy programme which allows incoming international students to be acquainted with German students and basic German language.
Ulm University Admissions
Prospective international students seeking admission to UUlm have to apply via Uni-assist if they plan to pursue a bachelor’s course or an undergraduate human medicine and dentistry course. Applications to master’s degree programs are made directly through the university website.
Application period for Uni-Assist is-
- Winter Semester: 1 May-15 July
- Summer Semester: 1 November-15 January
Application fee for applying to a program through uni-assist cost 75 euros. An additional fee of €30 is charged for every additional choice of study program.
Application deadlines and requirements for master’s level programs may differ. Refer to the Programs section above to view deadlines for masters programs taught in English.
- Higher Education Entrance Qualification; Bachelor’s Degree (required for graduate programs)
- Proof of German Language Proficiency
- *Proof of English proficiency for programs taught in English. (IELTS- 6.5/TOEFl iBT- 88)
- Letter of motivation, CV, Letters of references (for some masters programs)
- Uni-assist application fee: 75 EUR
- Copy of Passport
- Proof of financial means (ability to spend at least 735 EUR per month)
- Proof of medical insurance
*Note: For some programs such as MSc in Biophysics and MSc in Chemical Engineering, required proof of English language proficiency is higher, i.e., Minimum IELTS score of 7, or minimum TOEFL iBT score of 95. Native speakers of English do not need to provide proof of language proficiency.
Ulm University Tuition Fee & Other Costs
International Students (non-EU/EEA) pursuing degree programs at the Ulm University are required to pay a tuition fee of 1,500 EUR per semester.
|Expense||Annual Amount in EUR|
|Tuition Fee (non-EU/EEA)||€ 1,500 x 2= € 3,000|
|University Semester Fee||€ 161.5 x 2= € 323|
|Health Insurance ( € 90/mo)||€ 90 x 12= € 1080|
|Living Expenses (€ 700/mo)||€ 700 x 12= € 8,400|
The table above shows estimated annual cost of attendance for full-time degree students belonging from non-EU/EEA countries and studying at Ulm University. Candidates pursuing the online Advanced Oncology program need to pay a tuition fee of €4,875 per semester.
Ulm University Scholarships & Financial Aid for International Students
- The university provides grants and scholarships to international students demonstrating financial need without any fault of their own, and/or having high academic qualification.
- Only candidates who have spent at least 2 semesters at the Ulm University can be eligible for any form of financial aid/scholarship from the university.
- Scholarship amount ranges from 250 EUR to 300 EUR per month, awarded for a maximum of one semester (6 months) to candidates who are eligible.
- Students who have applied for a DAAD scholarship from their home country will receive financial aid from the start of their study.
- The international office also provides scholarships for international doctoral researchers(upto 875 euros per month) to complete their degree. Students need to fill a separate scholarship form.
The deadline for applying to Emergency Aid scholarships mentioned above are 28 February and 30 September respectively. Scholarships for international students in Germany are limited and offered majorly by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
FIND A PROGRAM
Times Higher Education
RANKED #251 - #300
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #251 - #300
RANKED #201 - #250
View More >>
QS World University
I really liked the masters program in molecular medicine offered by Ulm University. It was very practical oriented, and including learning several techniques and performing internships for one month each in the lab of our choosing. The course itself was very structured and student friendly.
Course Curriculum :
The course syllabus is constantly being updated to include latest technologies and information. We attend lectures from professors who are also group leaders of laboratories in the university, and they modulate the course work according to their lab work, in which they certainly involve the latest technologies. As part of the graduate school for my PhD program, we are also taken on excursions to industries where we can learn and interact with non-academic professionals about career opportunities. We are also given the opportunity to attend certification courses that are for the improvement of our soft skills, which builds a holistic development of the student.
The university was suggested to me by my career counselor on the basis of my interests and performance in the previous academics. I surfed the web about the university and read a lot of positive reviews about it. Finally, I applied to the university via the uni-assist application by paying an application fee of € 75.
Course Curriculum :
My program is inculcating the necessary skills to develop the infrastructure and devices of the future, where wireless and fiber-optic networks become faster. The course is providing in-depth knowledge about all the subjects being taught in the class.
The English language taught Master’s program at Ulm University is one such course that I always wanted to study. The university provides a high-quality education that is combined with in-depth knowledge in both major and minor courses. I applied to the university with the help of an online application form.
Course Curriculum :
In the master course of Biology, I am aiming to receive a solid education in one area of biology in combination with an in-depth education in one medical and one further minor subject which is not biology. After completion of the first semester, I was given some special subject from "Molecular Biosciences", "Neurobiology" and "Biodiversity" to study. Moreover, it was totally on me to choose from topics like computer science, economics, mathematics, chemistry, philosophy.
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary