University of Waikato, Hamilton, Courses, Rankings, Admission Criteria, Fees & Scholarships
University of Waikato is home to nearly 12,000 students, 12% of which are international students from over 70 countries. More than 120 academic qualifications are offered for international students aspiring to study in New Zealand across the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Computing and Mathematical Sciences, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Waikato Pathways College. 12 subject areas of University of Waikato have found a place in the top-250 subjects by QS World Rankings 2021. Some of the popular courses offered at University of Waikato include Bachelor Economics, Bachelor of Engineering, Bachelor of Science (Biochemistry), etc.
Notably, the university holds an average record of offering more than 2000 industry placements and internships each year to the students. Jacinda Ardern (PM of New Zealand), Mark Wilson (Businessman), Wayne Smith (Former Rugby Player) are some of the notable alumni of University of Waikato. It is accreditated by Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU), Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) and EFMD Quality Improvement System (EQUIS).
University of Waikato Rankings
In view of the quality of education and research inputs, rankings of University of Waikato by various world-renowned ranking agencies for 2021 are listed below:
- Ranked at 375= out of the world's best 1,000 universities by QS World Rankings 2021.
- Ranked among 501-600th by World University Rankings 2021
Ranked among 101-200th overall by THE Impact Rankings 2021, and within the top 100 institutions in:
- Reduced Inequalities, rank: =57
- Decent Work and Economic Growth, rank: =62
|No. of Campuses||Three|
|Application fee||Not mentioned|
|Applications Accepted||Apply online|
|Admission Helpline||Telephone: +64 7 838 4610|
|Test score accepted||SAT, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS|
|Mode of Program||Full time/Online|
University of Waikato Programs
- University of Waikato provides a vast variety of courses including, undergraduate degrees; postgraduate diplomas; masters and higher degrees.
- All programs are offered through 7 faculties and 2 colleges including the Faculty of Science and Engineering, which offers various innovative programmes for the undergraduate degrees at University of Waikato.
- The degrees offered are highly flexible in nature and allow the students to design their programs as per their interest and career objective.
Top Courses at University of Waikato
|Master of Engineering [M.Eng] Mechanical Engineering||37,706|
|Master Human Resource Management||20,692|
|Master of Science [M.Sc] Information Technology||23,722|
|Bachelor of Engineering [B.Eng] Software Engineering||23,824|
|Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] Biochemistry||22,277|
|Doctor of Philosophy [Ph.D] Engineering||28,503|
University of Waikato Campus
- University of Waikato campuses are located at different locations, which includes Hamilton campus, Tauranga campus and Zhejiang University City College (ZUCC).
- Hamilton campus. This campus offers a range of cafes, on-campus accommodation and cutting-edge learning facilities.
- Tauranga campus. Tauranga campus located in the heart of the CBD, combines a relaxed lifestyle and world-class university study.
- Zhejiang University City College (ZUCC). This campus of University of Waikato helps to gain a qualification while studying in China.
University of Waikato Accommodation
- The university provides various types of accommodation options to the students through the cost of each accommodation vary from others.
- Hamilton Accommodation. It comprises of three halls of residence, apartments, cottages, studios and units.
- Tauranga Accommodation. Students have the option of staying in Durham Mews, university affiliated accommodation.
- Summer Accommodation. Three different summer residences are available for students.
- Homestay. Homestay allows students to stay with a New Zealand family.
University of Waikato Admission Process
General Requirements: Original academic transcripts/mark sheets, official program completion certificate/Degree/Diploma, IELTS scores.
Additional requirements: Passport issued by official authorities, Birth certificate, valid student Visa to study in New Zealand, signed a confidential statement of finances.
Given below are the requirements for Indian students seeking admission at University of Waikato:
- The students should achieve an overall average of 75% in the Indian School Certificate (ISC) OR
- the All-India Senior School Certificate (AISSC), with a minimum of 70% in English OR
- An overall average of 80% in Senior School Certificate awarded from one of the following three Indian State Board year 12 qualifications: (i) Tamil Nadu Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC), (ii) Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education Higher (Secondary) School Certificate
University of Waikato English Proficiency Test Requirements
It is imperative for international students to submit English Language Test scores if their native language is not English and prove their proficiency in the language.
|English Language Test||Undergraduate||Graduate|
|IELTS||6.0 overall (no band less than 5.5)||6.5 overall (no band less than 6.0)|
|TOEFL iBT||80 with a score of 21 in writing||90 with a score of 21 in writing|
University of Waikato Cost of Attendance
The international students need to get prepared for the following expenses while studying at the college, which primarily includes the tuition fee
|Programs||Tuition Fee (NZD)|
|BA in Economics||29,380|
|BA in Screen and Media Studies||30,595|
|Bachelor of Digital Business||29,380|
|Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)||29,380|
|Master of Arts (Chinese)||30,695|
|Master of Cyber Security (MCS)||34,345|
|Master of Engineering (MEng)||37,985|
|Master of Laws (LLM)||32,680|
The table given below will give a rough idea about the approximate cost of living in New Zealand you need to make on a weekly basis while pursuing education at the University of Waikato.
|Residence Hall Accommodation||370|
|Food||Included in fully catered halls|
|Telephone or Internet||Included|
|Total weekly expenses||467.50|
University of Waikato Financial Aid
University of Waikato offers scholarship and bursary to international students, though some scholarships need an application while others can be applied automatically. Some of the scholarships in New Zealand offered to international students are mentioned below:
- University of Waikato International Excellence – NZ School Leavers Scholarship: NZD 10,000
Deadline: At any time of the year.
Criteria. For international students completing Year 13 at a NZ high school in 2021 and intending to enrol full time in an undergraduate degree in Trimester A 2022. Applicants must achieve at least NCEA Level 2 with Merit (or equivalent).
- University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarship: NZD 10,000
Deadline: August 31, 2021
Criteria. For talented international students from selected countries who demonstrate excellent academic achievement. Applicants must be intending to enrol for the first time in either an undergraduate or postgraduate (not doctoral) degree.
University of Waikato Alumni Association is a great opportunity for all the students to meet, socialise and interact with the graduates who belong to different parts of the world. All the graduates from the University of Waikato are considered as members of the Alumni & Friends community and can enjoy these advantages:
- Alumni & Friends E-Newsletters
- Careers and employment advice
- Access to library services
- Alumni Representatives around the world
- Invitations to alumni events in your region
- World-class postgraduate study
Some of the notable alumni produced by the University of Waikato are Wayne Smith, rugby player; Dr Andrew Smith, CEO of Prolife Foods and Vittoria Shortt, CEO of ASB Bank.
University of Waikato Placements
- Career Development Services at UoW provide free advice and support to current students and recent graduates to look and apply for work in New Zealand. It helps with career planning, writing job applications and interview preparation.
- CDS also helps in developing connections with employers through career fairs, employer campus visits and promotion of graduate opportunities.
- MyCareer is an online system at University of Wakato which helps students to analyse their career development.
UoW offers more than 2000 industry placements and internships for students enrolling in an undergraduate or postgraduate program.
University of Waikato delives excellent education and research opportunities, along with smaller class sizes, affordable accommodation facilities, a wide range of student clubs and services. UoW offers a broad range of subjects which are ranked highly in the 2021 QS World University Subject Rankings. It also provides hundreds of scholarships for its international students each year to help them fund study-related expenses.
Ques. What is Waikato University known for?
Ans.Known for its excellence in education and research, the University of Waikato is placed 375 out of the world's best 1,000 universities by the QS World University Rankings 2021.
Ques. What should I study at Waikato University?
Ans.Popular programs at Waikato include Arts, Computer Science, Engineering, Environment and Education.
Ques. How can I apply for a variation to my scholarship?
Ans.Current scholarship recipients (not including current doctoral scholars) can use the Scholarship Variation Request Form to request a variation to their scholarship which is outside of the approved regulations.
Ques. I am an International student, how do I apply for scholarships?
Ans.Students aspiring to study at the University of Waikato, will need to submit an Application to Enrol in order to have access to apply for scholarships.
Ques. What can I study in the Bachelor of Business in online mode?
Ans.UoW is not offering all papers (units/modules) within every major of the Bachelor of Business (BBus) in online mode. All papers that cannot be taught online may be an elective subject or a minor subject in BBus. For example, you might study a communications paper but your major is marketing. Students can continue their studies because the BBus has room for papers outside the major or compulsory papers.
Ques. What is the tuition bursary at UoW?
Ans.UoW is providing a 20% bursary to all new international students who start their qualification studying online outside New Zealand in 2021.
Ques. How do I apply for the bursary?
Ans.There is no need to apply – it will be applied to the tuition fees you are required to pay when you choose the papers (units/modules) in which you will enrol at UoW.
FIND A PROGRAM
Times Higher Education
RANKED #501 - #600
RANKED #501 - #600
RANKED #501 - #600
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #301 - #400
View More >>
QS World University
New Zealand is a small market compared to any large market countries like UK or USA. I preferred this university because the course I pursued there is actually relevant with what I wanted to do in my career ahead. The course curriculum didn't have any semester or trimester system. Each and every paper were given sole training continuously and the impact of group discussion was high. The entire learning method is different from what we learn in India. The concept of exam wasn't there for most of the papers I studied in this university.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum revolves around articles and news that happens around the entire world. Compared to text book learning, you learn with live examples with how to deal in actual business world.
I finalized the country before the institution. Multiple factors like political situation, health services, currency strength, future scope & things like work-life balance are a must to think before proceeding with a decision ahead. Waikato Management School was the only institution in New Zealand offering a triple accredited course in Business & Management, which complimented my previous degree & future goals. I did not want to invest many years simply studying hence I needed a short 1 year degree which also gave me the freedom to work. I looked for a hands-on practical studying experience which the University gave me.
Course Curriculum :
The course is very much aligned to my previous degree (BBS). My course consisted of an internship with New Zealand's largest marine buying group, a consultancy project & an Investor pitch competition. Along with that, I worked multiple part-time/casual jobs which helped me groom myself that wouldn't have been possible otherwise if I were just studying.
I had a senior who studied from the same college and got placed in a reputed organization. He suggested me about the college and the course that I could study. Thus, I readily applied to it without giving a second thought.
Course Curriculum :
This one-year master's degree with 180 points is providing me a transformative business education. It will surely take my career to new heights. Here I am provided with an in-depth understanding of the fast-paced global business environment. It will also prepare me for a wide range of management and leadership roles in any industry.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary