Robert Gordon University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Robert Gordon University or RGU is a public university in Aberdeen, Scotland with a rich history which can be traced to when its benefactor, Robert Gordon, founded the Robert Gordon Hospital in 1729 which later went through years of educational metamorphosis until it was granted proper university status in 1992. With a vast populace of students, the school provides educational services to students hailing from 147 different countries. Currently, the RGU is accredited by the Chartered Quality Institute (CQI).
Robert Gordon University has been acknowledged globally through TEF Gold Award for delivering excellent teaching and learning outcome. RBU houses 16,000+ students representing 132 nationalities. RGU has notched the top rank in Scotland for subjects like Health professions, Journalism, Architecture, and Pharmacy (The Guardian University Guide 2017). Additionally, the University has been placed at #1 in Scotland for establishing strong global connections (The Student Experience Survey, 2018).
RGU is ranked:
- 151-200th in the list of European Teaching Rankings in 2019 by Times Higher Education
- 801-1000th in QS Global World Ranking in 2020
- 251–300th in the list of Young University Rankings in 2019 Times Higher Education
- 1001+ in the list of World University Rankings in 2020 by Times Higher Education
|University Type||Public University|
|Graduate Job Rate||97.6%|
|Cost of Attendance||23,460 Pounds|
|Intake Months||January and September|
|Mode of Program||Classroom and online|
- RGU operates a single campus in Aberdeen that sits in spacious parkland, adjacent to the River Dee, in the south-western suburbs at Garthdee.
- There are facilities such as the University Library, 2,500 IT workstations, physiotherapy clinic, graphics and printing facilities, various food outlets, Treehouse Early Care Centre, and the RGU sports center consisting of a swimming pool, a climbing wall, three gyms and lots more.
- The school incorporates 16,000 students; 11,000 undergraduate and 5,000 postgraduate students
- There are over 32 campus sports clubs available to student-athletes at RGU
- Students at RGU compete at the Scottish Student Sport (SSS) and British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) competitions.
- There are several student groups through the students’ union such as sports clubs, societies, student media, raising money for charity, or community volunteers at RGU.
- There are four residence halls at RGU open to students across the city
- There are a total of 903 rooms as ensuite and standard rooms in communal flats across the four residence halls.
- Amenities available include TV, parking space, solar panels on the roof for lighting, automated lighting in communal areas, lounge areas, laundry rooms, kitchen with sink and shower, and on-site office open 24 hours a day,
- Room features include a bed, drawer, table, chair, mirror, tiled floor, waste bin, cupboard, and dresser.
- RGU provides information on private sector renting which can include shared accommodations, private accommodations, and short term or visitor accommodation.
- There are 114 undergraduate and 111 graduate programs at RGU
- RGU offers a flexible MBA master's degree in Business Administration program, available on-campus and online, MBA Oil and Gas Management specialist degree, and an MBA in Sustainability and Energy Transitions.
- There are 14 undergraduate pathways programs and nine graduate pathways programs that lead to an internationally recognized degree through the International College Robert Gordon University (ICRGU).
- The academic activities at RGU are carried out by 11 colleges/schools.
- There are part-time and online programs in accounting and finance, architecture, construction and surveying, law, engineering, energy, nursery and midwifery, pharmacy and life sciences, etc
Application fee: Undergraduate: UCAS applicants pay 20-25 GBP.
- UG Courses: January 15 (UCAS); May 1 (Common application)
- PG Courses: There is no set closing date for PG courses. However, it’s recommended to check for the deadline on the relevant course page.
- SQA Higher or GCE A Level or Irish Leaving Certificate Higher or IB Diploma or their equivalents
- Academic transcripts
- Interviews (if required)
- Proof of English Language proficiency
- Copy of Passport with photograph page
- Proof of Sponsorship or Scholarship
- Specific program requirements
- Official copies of Academic Transcripts
- Official copies of College or University Certificate
- Copy of Passport with photograph page
- Letters of Reference
- Proof of English Language Proficiency
- Evidence of Sponsorship or Scholarship (if applicable)
- Interviews (if required)
- Specific program requirement
English language requirements
|TOEFL iBT & MyBest™||18||17||20||17||80|
|TOEFL iBT - Special Home Edition||18||17||20||17||80|
|Cambridge English: C2 Proficiency, C1 Advanced, and B2 First||162||162||162||162||169|
|TOEFL iBT & MyBest™||18||17||20||17||88|
|TOEFL iBT - Special Home Edition||18||17||20||17||88|
|Cambridge English: C2 Proficiency, C1 Advanced, and B2 First||162||162||162||162||176|
Other country-specific English qualifications accepted are:
- All Indian State Boards - Senior Secondary and CISCE/CBSE (Year 12) with English at 60%(65% for graduate) or above
- West African Senior School Certificate (WAEC) with English at C6 or above
- Nigerian Examinations Council (NECO) with English at C6 or above
- UKVI approved HEI Pre-sessional Program results at IELTS equivalent grade of 6.0 overall with no less than 5.5 in each section
- MUET - Malaysian University Entrance Test - Band 4
Cost of Attendance
|Cost||Amount per annum (GBP)|
|Books and supplies||240-540|
Note: The cost of attendance given above is just an estimate. Costs may differ due to the student's choice of accommodation, program, level, nationality, social activities, or lifestyle.
- RGU awards more than 3,000 GBP yearly as a discount towards postgraduate research tuition fees to international students.
- The university also awards more than 2,000 GBP yearly discounts towards Master's course tuition fees to international students.
- Financial aid to international students include grants, scholarships, student jobs, and graduate fellowships,
- Chevening Scholarship: Chevening Scholarship is funded by the UK Government to award international students in order to develop global leaders. The amount covers full Scholarship which includes flights, accommodation, and course fees. Eligible students are typically one year Master’s degree students.
- Vice-Chancellor's Undergraduate Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to international undergraduate students admitted to study any undergraduate degree at RGU. With the varying amount, the application is done online and applicants are expected to submit a scholarship application form, including a 500 words statement of support.
- RGU International Student Discount for Undergraduate Students: This is an entrance financial aid awarded to international self-funded students, studying full time on-campus undergraduate courses entering into year one or year two. The amount is 3,000 GBP discount awarded towards one year of undergraduate tuition fees
RGU alumni benefits include:
- Networking with other global alumni with programs
- Access to the RGU Alumni newsletter filled with interesting articles and opportunities for alumni.
- 20% loyalty discount scholarship on tuition fees for returning RGU alumni
- Staying professionally linked with other alumni on LinkedIn and with the alumni network
- Ola Gorie -Jewellery designer
- Callum Innes -Turner Prize-nominated artist
- Titi Horsfall -Author
- Hannah Miley -Swimmer and Olympian
- RGU tops in Scotland for graduate employability. The university has 97.6% of respondents entering employment and/or further study within 6 months of graduating according to the 2016/17 DLHE survey, HESA 2018.
- RGU is also ranked 2nd in the UK and 46th in the world for graduate employment according to data from QS Graduate Employability Rankings in 2020
- Coupled with career fairs, RGU works closely with industries to ensure graduates’ knowledge and experiences allow them to successfully thrive in their life-long careers.
- According to PayScale, the average salary of RGU graduates is 24.78 GBP (30 USD).