Post Graduate Institute of Medical, Education & Research (PGIMER), established in 1962, is a medical and research institution in Chandigarh, India. It is the leading tertiary care hospital of the region and caters to patients from all over Punjab, J&K, Himachal Pradesh, and Haryana. PGIMER is ranked 2nd among medical colleges in India in 2019 by the NIRF for 2019. Since PGIMER does not have an MBBS degree, it has not been ranked by India Today and Outlook India and by The Week.
UGC, MCI, INC
|Name of Entrance||PGIMER Entrance Exam|
Apart from the clinical services, PGI boosts of training in almost all disciplines of Medicine including post graduate and post doctoral degrees, diploma and fellowships. There are more than 50 such training courses in the institute.
|Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D)||PhD is available in many subjects and is notified in the prospectus each year.|
|Doctor of Medicine (MD)||MD is a basic master's degree of 3 years and is available in almost all non-surgical streams of medicine. Prerequisite for super-specialty higher masters 'DM' degree is MD in that particular subject.|
|Master of Surgery (MS)||MS is also a master's degree of 3 years, but in surgical fields. Prerequisite for super speciality high masters 'MCh' degree is MS.|
|Master of Dental Surgery (MDS)|
This is the equivalent of MD/MS and meant for Dental Studies. Few examples are Orthodontia, Pedodontia & Preventive Dentistry and Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery.
|Hospital Administration (MD)||Education in hospital administration is equivalent to MBA and trains students to become hospital administrators using the modern methods of business administration. for the administrative career.|
|Masters in Public Health (MPH)||This two-year course provides competency in Public Health Management, Teaching, Research and Leadership. After taking a core course and an elective course in the first year candidates take a special paper on Epidemiology or Health Management or Health Promotion in the second year. Graduates of Medicine (MBBS) / Dental (BDS) / Veterinary (BVSc) / Engineering (BE) or any Postgraduate degree (MA/M.Sc) who have passed with at least 50% marks are admitted through a national entrance test.|
|Medicine Doctorate (DM)|
DM is a Super-specialty higher master's degree of 3 years in a Medical specialty stream. Prerequisite for DM is another lower master's degree such as MD. One has to choose a particular branch from the field in which they did MD. For example: After pursuing MD in General Medicine, one can do DM in Nephrology, Cardiology, Endocrinology etc.
|Magister Chirurgiae (MCh)|
MCh is a Super-specialty highest master's degree of 3 years in Surgical streams. Prerequisite for MCh is another lower master's degree such as MS General Surgery. This is available in urology, plastic surgery, GI surgery, pediatric surgery, and cardiothoracic surgery
|Master of Science (MSc)||MSc is a master's degree of 2 years with an intense research focus. It is offered by the Department of Biochemistry, Department of Medicine & Biotechnology, Department of Pharmacology, etc.|
Read More AboutPGIMER Courses and Fees Structure
- Candidates can apply for courses by filling the application forms online through the official website and submitting the processing fee of INR 1000 (Rs. 800 for SC/ ST candidates) through the generated Challan in any State Bank of India.
- Admission to all the programs offered by PGIMER is done twice a year (except B.Sc and M.Sc Nursing) with academic sessions commencing from January/ July.
- Candidates are shortlisted for admission on the basis of marks secured in the All-India entrance examination, conducted by PGIMER. The minimum marks required for the selection are 55% for general candidates including foreign applicants. Relaxation of 5% is given to the candidates belonging to the Scheduled Castes / Scheduled Tribes / OBC & PWD category. Candidates who clear the entrance test are intimated for the counseling process to complete the admission process.
Check PGIMER Admissions
PGIMER conducts entrance examination for admission to all its courses (B.Sc., M.Sc., MD/MS, DM/ M.Ch., Ph.D.).
Here are some quick facts about the PGIMER entrance exam:
For B.Sc Nursing:
- Admission to UG programs is made once a year and applications are generally invited in June/ July every year. The entrance test is conducted in Chandigarh in the month of August.
- Admit card for eligible candidates appearing for the test is made available for download on the university website 15 days in advance.
- The test will consist of 100 objective type questions with negative marking of ¼ for each wrong answer.
For M.Sc Nursing:
- The entrance exam is usually held in the month of July every year at Chandigarh.
- Candidates can download the admit cards from the institute website by logging in with their respective login ID and password.
- The entrance test is conducted in English and consists of 100 MCQs with negative marking of ¼ for every wrong answer.
For Postgraduate and Ph.D. courses:
- PGIMER entrance test for admission to various postgraduate and doctoral programs will be conducted in the month of November/ December across multiple centers in Chandigarh.
- Admission to post doctoral and postgraduate courses conducted at PGIMER is made twice a year. The sessions commence from first January and first July.
- The admission to the courses is made on merit on all-India basis by holding an entrance examination by the institute, after issuing a countrywide admission notice.
Read More PGIMER Exams
Results for all the entrance exams conducted by PGIMER Chandigarh for different programs are declared within a few days of the test.
- Candidates who qualify the written exam are required to appear in the Interview/ Counseling process.
- Candidates will be invited for interviews strictly in order of merit on the basis of marks obtained by them in the entrance exam.
- The number of candidates to be called for interview will be three times the total number of seats to be filled in each category from candidates who fulfill the cut off points.
- The institute has a library called Dr. Tulsi Das Library
- It has a total of 45, 696 books and 34 online books along with 510 journals out of which 414 are foreign
- The library is computerized along with OPAC software. It provides an Online Medical Journal Database Search facility
- It provides current awareness services, scanning, and reprographic services
- The infrastructure for patient care includes the Nehru Hospital
- It is a 1400 bedded hospital with 98 rooms in the 5 private wards and two research blocks for basic sciences
- The facilities for indoor as well as outdoor games like table tennis, badminton, cricket, lawn tennis, football, etc. have been consistently available to the enthusiasts
- A huge complex for water sports is available