Gujarat Ayurved University was established in the year 1967 by act passed by Gujarat State Legislative Assembly in 1965. The University is one of the premier institutes which encourage the tradition methods of education of Ayurvedic Studies and Research. This was the first statutory University for both kind at national and international level - exclusively devoted to Ayurvedic studies and Research.
- This is one of the oldest Universities of the state. The University offers Post-graduation and Ph.D. courses for the development of research on Ayurveda.
- The university has also received a special status from the State and Central Government. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare are also liked with the administrative part of the institute.
- The institute is located at the middle of the Saurashtra Regon. It is only around 3 Kms. far from the railway and bus stations.
Collaborations: It has been collaborated with W.H.O. and has become an ideal destination for Ayurvedic education for the students of Nepal, Sri Lanka and Mauritius.
- Institute for Post Graduate Teaching and Research In Ayurveda
- ShriGulabkunwarba Ayurveda Mahavidyalaya, Jamnagar
- Institute for Ayurvedic Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Maharishi Patanjali Institute for Yoga & Naturopathy Education and Research.
- Institute of Medicinal Plant Sciences
Department of Basic Principles - Ayurveda Siddhanta and Darshan Samhita
Department of Dravyaguna - DravyagunaVigyan
Department of Rasashastra - Rasashastra, Bhaishajya Kalpana
Department of Kayachikitsa – Roga Nidan; Vikriti Vigyan, Kayachikitsa
Department of Panchakarma – Panchakarma
Department of Shalya – Shalya Tantra
Department of Shalakya – Shalakya Tantra
Department of Kaumarbhritya – Kaumar Bhritya
PrasutiTantra& StriRoga – Prasuti Tantra; StriRoga
Department of Pharmacology - With Animal Experimental Studies
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Department of Pharmacognosy
- There are three separate hostels for Boys, Girls and International Scholars.
- There are hundred single seated rooms in the Boys Hostel and forty single seated rooms in Girls Hostel. International Scholars' Hostel has a capacity of twenty rooms.
The University Library is well-equipped which contains number of books for learning and research work. It has some publications and manuscripts as well.
Laboratories:- The university Labs are well-equipped with all instruments and facilities. It has various following laboratories:
- Modern Pharmaceutical Chemistry