The North Orissa University (NOU) is a proud member in the list of supreme universities of India. The university was established with the noble effort of the Government of Orissa under section 32 of the Orissa University Act No.5 of 1989 dated 13th July
- Located in Baripada, Orissa
- It has also been recognized by the UGC u/s 2 (f) of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956 with a view to disseminate higher education to the Tribal population of North Orissa
- NOU is included in the list of Association of Indian Universities and Association of Commonwealth Universities
- The University is also accredited by National Assessment & Accreditation Council (NAAC), Bangalore with B grade
- It has the jurisdiction over two districts namely Mayurbhanj and Keonjhar and the Chancellor of the university is the Honorable Governor of the State
- The university has under its affiliation a total of 80 colleges including general as well as professional that caters to the needs of higher education in the region
- The university imparts quality education to the large Tribal section of Northern Orissa as also to the students coming from other parts.
There are various departments in the university that boasts of extremely talented and qualified faculty. All the departments offer bachelors and masters degrees. Some of the departments are:
- Department of Bioinformatics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Economics
- Department of Wildlife
- Department of Law
- Department of Computer Application
- Department of Physics and such
The library has 23880 text and reference books in different subjects besides books of common interest. At present the library is subscribing for 75 journals and 24 magazines. Efforts are being made for automation of central library and to provide internet facility to the students.
There are 50 Desktop computers inside the computer centre and around 250 Computers in various labs of the University departments that would be served by the 6 nos. of exclusive servers. The centre would very soon facilitate the users with Web services, Examination, E-resources and 1 GBPS internet connectivity enabled by Optical Fibre spread across the total University campus.
- Merit Scholarships awarded by the State Government
- P.G. Merit Scholarship and Loan Stipend awarded by the State Government