Updated On - January 19th 2018
Periyar Maniammai University (PMU) is one of the pioneering institutions of higher education. It is also known as Periyar Maniammai Institute of Science and Technology. It is origin from Periyar Maniammai College of Technology for Women. It is dedicated to facilitate balanced and effectual information in the fields like Engineering, Management, Architecture, Science, Liberal Arts and Science. It is located on a land area of 216 acres, which once were barren and dry with scarce population in rural area.
- It mainly has two campuses; one is located in Vallam and other is in Chennai.
- It has been functioning as Deemed to be University with the approval of the UGC and Ministry of Human Resources, New Delhi in 2007
- Department of Architecture was founded in 1995
- It has well tradition of nurturing activist research and design thinking
- The location of college is appreciable as adds momentous contribution to integrate strong cultural and architectural traditions
- Eminent experts and Architects in their respected fields being the part of teaching fraternity.
- It is one of the State Resource Institute under National Programme for Earthquake Resistant Management & Capacity Building
About Periyar Maniammai University:
The Periyar Maniammai Educational and Charitable Society, Chennai
UGC and AICTE, New Delhi
National Accreditation Association Council (NAAC)
Deemed to be
Located at Periyar Nagar, Vallam, Dist - Thanjavur Tamil Nadu
Nearest Metropolitan City
10 km from Thanjavur and 60 km from Tiruchirapalli
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Aerospace Engineering
- Department of Bio-Technology
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Science and Humanities
- National Service Scheme (NSS)
- National Cadet Corps (NCC)
- Youth Red Cross (YRC)
- Red Ribbon Club (RRC)
The University is not only strong in academic background but also has excellent facilities which attract students from all over the country. Some of them are:
The Arjun Singh library, Central Library is housed at the Knowledge Centre of PMU. It has covered three floors and has impressive collection of journals and books. Full library is air-conditioned and has separate reading rooms for faculty & students.
- Volumes - 78693 with Book - Bank
- Digital Library – 1480CDs, 225 Audio Cassettes & 578 Video Cassettes.
- Journals numbering 559 - National & International
- Departmental Library with 2000 titles and 4000 volumes excluding central library
There are total of four hostels - three of them Annai Nagammaiyar, Swarna & Vittobai Renganathan hostel are for women & they can house around 2000 women students & the Chakravarthi hostel for men can accommodate 600 students. All the Hostels are built within the campus in calm & clean environment, best for learning & living.