Tamil University was founded in 1981 by the Government of Tamil Nadu. It is located in Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu. The university offers 7 postgraduate, 2 research, postgraduate diploma courses, post-diploma courses, and Certificate courses. Candidates who aspire to seek admission to the college, need to clear the entrance test, qualifying examination, and counseling conducted by the university itself. The mode of applying for an admission is offline as well as online. The university also provides distance learning for graduate and postgraduate courses.
Tamil University Highlights
|Established | Type||1981 | State|
|Approval and Recognition||University Grants Commission, Delhi (UGC)|
|Accreditation||Grade B+ by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC)|
|Courses Offered||B.Ed, 7 Postgraduate courses, 2 Research courses, Postgraduate Diploma courses, Post-diploma courses, and Research courses|
|Facilities||Faculty Guest House, Open Air Theatre, Museum, Career Guidance and Counselling, Internet, Buildings, Library and Hostels|
|Application mode||Offline and Online|
|Admission criteria||Entrance Exam, Merits, and Counselling|
Tamil University Courses
Some of the courses offered by the college include:
|Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.)||Duration: 1 year
|Master of Arts (M.A)||Duration: 2 years
Specializations: Tamil, History, Tamil Literature, Art and Culture, Applied Linguistics, Temple Administration, Tourism and Philosophy, History and Archaeology, Tamilology, Folklore and Culture, Yoga, Music, Bharatnatyam, Applied Tamilology, Social Science, and History of Editing
|Master of Science (M.Sc)||Duration: 2 years
Specializations: Environmental Science, Geology, Computer Science, and Mathematics
|Master of Philosophy (M.Phil)||Duration: 2 years
Eligibility: Post Graduation
|Doctorate of Philosophy (Ph.D.)||Duration: 3 years
Eligibility: Post Graduation
|Diploma||Duration: 1 year
Specializations: Saiva Siddhantham, Yoga, Performing Arts, and Computer Applications
|Postgraduate Diploma||Duration: 2 years
Specializations: Herbal Biotechnology, Environmental Management, Siddha Drug Standardization and Translation
|Post Diploma||Duration: 1 year
Specializations: Play Creation and Agarathiyiyial
Read More: Tamil University Thanjavur Fee Details
Tamil University Admissions
Admissions in this university are sought through the entrance test, merits in qualifying examination, and counseling conducted by the university. Applicants can apply only if they are eligible for the courses as per the criteria mentioned above.
How to Apply?
The admission form and prospectus can be obtained from the college office by paying a nominal fee or can be obtained through postal services by providing a Demand Draft in the favour of the university or can be filled online through the portal available on the college website by online payment.
- Once the candidates fill the application form, they become eligible for the entrance test conducted by the university.
- After the entrance test, the candidates who have cleared the test will be short-listed and they will be called before the admission committee for counseling.
- The candidates who have the highest marks in both the entrance test and the qualifying examination will be tested in the counseling.
- Those applicants who surpass all three conditions will have to submit their documents on that day to secure their seats.
- Only those applicants who secure their seats will be considered to be admitted to the university.
Read More: Tamil University Admission
Tamil University Facilities
Some of the facilities provided by the college include:
- Faculty Guest House: The university provides a guest house to accommodate the scholars and researchers who visit the university for various research.
- Hostels: The university provides accommodation facilities for students who have come from different cities and faraway places. They have separate hostels for boys and girls and are located on either side of the university. The hostel rooms are well-furnished and equipped with all the necessities. The hostel faculty also plays an important role in the well-being of the students and maintaining the decorum of the university.
- Sports: The university has a sports club that handles all the sport-related affairs in the university. They arrange various sport events and activities engaging students to direct them towards their overall development.
- Library: The university library is quite huge and beautifully structured. They have more than 1,78,960 books, 345 journals, and monographs providing variety to the students. They even allow students to issue books and journals for a definite period so that the students can comfortably study and refer to them.
Tamil University FAQs
Ques. What are the documents required at the time of admission?
- A Demand Draft/ Bank of India Challan
- Attested Photocopies of certificates that relate to the qualifying examination
- Attested Photocopies of Community, Transfer Certificate and others
- Recent passport-sized photo pasted on the application form
- Foreign University Graduates have to obtain the equivalent certificate from the Association of Indian Universities
Ques. How are the placements, internships, or scholarships?
Ques. Is the entrance test compulsory?
Ques. What program can I opt for in distance learning?
Ans. The Bachelor of Education program comes under the distance learning mode.
Read More: Tamil University Distance Education
Ques. How do we contact the college for further details?
Ans. The mailing address of the college is Tamil University Thanjavur – 613010
Tamil Nadu, India. You can also email them at email@example.com or contact them at +91 4362 226720.