Indian Institute of Technology (IIT Roorkee), has been ranked 3rd amongst IITs in Times Higher Education Asia University Rankings 2019. The Institute offers undergraduate in 10 disciplines and postgraduate degrees in 55 disciplines. The institute also offers doctoral programs in management, science, engineering, and architecture streams.
Currently, there are 966 students studying under UG programs, 1034 students in PG programs and 1443 scholars in Ph.D. programs. IITs are known to have a highly competitive examination, popularly known as IIT-JEE to enroll students in its academic programs. However, IIT Roorkee accepts a score of GATE, IIT JAM, and NATA as well.
IIT Roorkee Highlights
|Type of Programs||UG, PG and Ph.D.|
|Entrance Test||JEE Main, GATE, IIT JAM, and NATA|
Latest! Recent Achievement at IIT Roorkee
The India Institute of Technology Roorkee has won “Clarivate Analytics India Research Excellence – Citation Awards 2019” on October 3, 2019. It received the award in two categories i.e Engineering & Technology and Institutions established over 15 years.
IIT Roorkee Ranking
Given below is the ranking statistics of the Institute of the previous year:
IIT Roorkee Courses
Mentioned below are the academic programs offered by the Institute with their eligibility criteria:
|B.Tech||Biotechnology||Intermediate graduate with 75% marks with PCM/PCB, or be in the top 20 percentile in the 12th class examination |
|Electronics & Communication Engg.|
|B.Arch||Architecture||75% marks in the 12th class examination, or be in the top 20 percentile in the 12th class examination |
|M.Tech||Physics||Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline |
|Metallurgical and Materials Engg. |
|MBA||Management Studies||Graduate with 60% marks in any discipline (55% for reserved categories)|
|M.Arch||Architecture||B.Arch or its equivalent|
|M.Sc||Physics||B.Sc or its equivalent|
|Humanities and Social Sciences|
|Ph.D.||Chemical Engg.||Master’s degree in relevant discipline with 60% marks (55% for reserved categories)|
|Computer Science and Engg.|
|Metallurgical and Materials Engg.|
Check IIT Roorkee Courses and Fees
IIT Roorkee Admission
Eligible candidates can visit the official website of IIT to register themselves for admission to the technological institute. Upon finalizing the application and depositing the fee online, download the filled up application for future references. The application fee is INR 300 for General/OBC Category and INR 150 for PD/SC/ST Category candidates. The institute admits students on the basis of merit scored in national level examinations. The exams accepted by the IITR for admissions are given below:
Note: The institute has reserved 15% seats for Scheduled Caste (SC), 7.5% for Scheduled Tribe (ST) and 3% for Persons with Disability (PwD) in every course.
Know more IIT Roorkee Admissions
IIT Roorkee B.Tech Cutoff
As mentioned above, the institute offers a lot of academic programs at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. One of the famous courses in IIT Roorkee is B.Tech Computer Science. Currently, there are a total of 75 students studying in the program. The admission to this course is done on the basis of JEE Advanced. The following chart shows the ranking list for the previous year:
Check IIT Roorkee Cutoff
IIT Roorkee Placements
Department of Management Studies (DOMS) of IIT Roorkee is well known for its placements. It consists of two sessions for placement namely Executive and Summer recruitment process. The following table presents the placement statistics for the year 2018-19:
IIT Roorkee top recruiters include Cognizant, HDFC Bank, Vedanta, GAIL Limited, OYO, Zomato, Snapdeal, Deloitte, Indian Oil, IDBI Bank, Bank of India, Tata Consultancy Services, Bajaj Allianz, Jindal Group, Bank of Baroda, Bajaj etc.
|Highest CTC Offered||INR 17.85 LPA (Domestic)|
INR 57 LPA (International)
|Total no. of companies visited||39|
|Number of first-time participants||17|
Know more IIT Roorkee Placements
IIT Roorkee Scholarships
Following are the scholarships and awards provided by the Institute to deserving and needy students:
- Merit-cum-means Scholarship: The Institute offers this scholarship to 25% of the students in undergraduate programs. The students admitted to M.Sc 2nd year can also apply for this.
- Engineers India Limited Scholarship: This award is available to students belonging to Scheduled Caste/ Scheduled Tribe categories. They must be pursuing a full-time undergraduate engineering course.
- James Thomason Scholarship: The students having up to 275 All India Rank in JEE Advanced are eligible to apply for this. All such students will be given an amount of INR 25000 per month for the entire duration of their program.
- Excellence in Doctoral Research Award: An amount of INR 50,000 will be given to students receiving their Ph.D. degrees. The selection criteria will be based on their thesis report, interview, and presentation.
Apart from these, the Institute also offers fee waivers for students studying in 1st year of B.Tech, B.Arch, Int. M.Tech, M.Sc. Free mess facility is also available for students belonging to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
Click here IIT Roorkee Scholarships
IIT Roorkee Facilities
Mentioned below are some of the facilities offered by the Institute to cater to the needs of the students:
- Library: The library is named Mahatma Gandhi Central Library. It has a collection of more than 3,50,000 documents in all media. The library building is Wi-Fi empowered with 75 terminals for browsing through online books and journals. It can accommodate more than 500 readers at a time.
- Hostel: The campus has 19 hostels of which 10 are boys’ hostels, three girls’ hostels and 6 hostels for married people. Each hostel has a state of art Cyber Cafe, managed by students and all hostels are now fully Wifi connected
- Guest Houses: The ground has three visitor houses to welcome visitors and investigators. These are Jai Krishna House; N.C. Nigam House and Khosla International House (KIH).
IIT Roorkee Faculty
The Insitute is known to have experienced and educated faculty members. Each department invites prospective, motivated, outstanding candidates. Currently, the institute has 369 regular faculty members, 9 Emeritus Fellows, and 17 Scientific and other academic staff. Prof. Ajit K. Chaturvedi is the director of IIT Roorkee and has served the Electronics Engineering Department at IIT BHU. All other faculty members have been conferred with several awards at the national and international levels. Several faculty members had also served on the Editorial Board of international and national journals.
Check here IIT Roorkee Faculty
IIT Roorkee Famous Alumni
The Institute has produced many alumni who have played an important role in the technological development of India. According to the official website of the Institute, 10 alumni have been awarded Padma Awards. The list includes Amit Singhal, Dinesh Paliwal, Ajit Gupta, Naveen Jain, Ashok Soota etc.
About IIT Roorkee
Listed below are some facts and figures of the institute:
- It was established in the year 1897 and is considered to be the oldest technological institution in Asia.
- It is located in the heart of Roorkee city in Uttrakhand. It is easily accessible by all modes of transport.
- The institute ranked amongst the best technological institutions in the world and has contributed to all sectors of technological development.
- Collaborated with more than 40 reputed universities for student/faculty exchange program
IIT Roorkee FAQs
Ques. Which is better IIT Delhi or IIT Roorkee?
Ans. Both Institutes have their own reputation in terms of placement, campus, academics, and faculty. IIT Delhi is one of the top-ranked institutes among IITs. It is known to have the highest package offered. On the other hand, IIT Roorkee has the best infrastructure with a campus area of 365 acres. It has 4 fully furnished Guest Houses and 1 Visitors Hostel within the campus for visiting dignitaries.
Ques. When does the campus recruitment program start?
Ans. The recruitment season starts in the first week of December every year and the PPT (Pre-Placement Training) can be held anytime between August to November. Last year, the highest package recorded in the institute was INR 17.85 LPA.
Ques. Which branch is famous in IIT Roorkee?
Ans. IITs are highly famous for Computer Science and Electrical Department. Last year, a total of 82 placement offers were made to students studying in the CSE department. The highest salary package recorded was INR 47 LPA.
Ques. How tough it is to get in IIT Roorkee?
Ans. IITs are known to conduct very competitive examinations namely JEE Main and GATE for admission in B.Tech, M.Sc, and Integrated B.Sc. These exams are taken by more than 4,00,000 students out of which only 2% or 4% of students get admitted to IITs. IIT Roorkee contains the best among the best young minds across the nation.
Ques. What items need to be brought and what are the procedures for registration?
As far as registration is concerned, one needs to bring everything specified in their offer letter. All those forms must be filled up with necessary information. After coming to the campus, an orientation day will be held which will introduce the students to the department. The day after that registration process will take place. This will involve opening an account at a bank, and subject and hostel registration. Once this is done, you'll be issued an Identity card. And it’s all done now!