The Kumaun University is one of the renowned universities of the country. It is famous for its academic brilliance in providing technical, professional and vocational education to the students over the years.
The institution was set up in the year 1973. There are all together 35 colleges which are affiliated to the university. The university has three campuses. They are Almora, Nainital and Bhimtal campus.
The University is one of the finest residential-cum-affiliating universities of the country. It was founded on 1st December 1973 under the Act of State Legislature (U P State Universities Act), and is a permanent member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
The National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) have awarded the Kumaun University with FOUR Stars status.
It is an ISO 9001-2008 certified institution and it follows the International Quality Management System in its education and research process.
The university campus is spread over 160 acres of land. The colleges are very beautifully constructed and the environment here is very much healthy and positive for training and education. The Bhimtal campus was constructed later in order to provide special facilities for technical, professional and vocational education inside it. The university is well connected with road and railway network for easy communication.
The various faculties of the university are as follows,
The institute has three campuses. They are DSB Campus, Bhimtal Campus and SS Jena Campus. All these campuses are spread over an area of 5,31,373 sq. mt. that is 160 acres of land. The built-up area is around 3,00,000 sq. mt.
- Theuniversity is situated at the hilly areas ofUttarakhand with nature all around. The university has been a leading institute in providing various courses and research facilities on Geology, Forestry, Ecology, Particle Physics and Chemistry, Economics and Management.
- Moreover, the university is also spreading awareness on various subjects like economic resources, medicinal plants, environment, development of tribes, human rights and symmetries and conservation etc.
- The university has got the recognition by the University Grants Commission (UGC) on 30th June, 1984. Since then, the university is constantly improving the functional structure and also introduced superior education facilities for the students of this region.
- It has managed to be a premier institute in providing brilliant academic structure along with excellent education facilities.
- The University is a permanent member of the Association of Indian Universities. National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) has also awarded this university with a Four Star special rank in the year 2000.
- The university always focuses to introduce courses and facilitiesthat can help the students to develop their skills and to their job access.
The university provides hostel facilities for its students. It has separate hostels for boys and girls. These hostels have all the facilities and amenities for the students.
The Himalaya Museum–
The Himalayan Museum was set up at Nainital in the year of 1987. The Department of History, Kumaun University, Nainital has initiated for the establishment of the same. The museum was inaugurated by Prof. Yashpal. Prof. Yashpal was the Chairman of the University Grants Commission at that period of time.
The museum has managed to collect various rare and interesting documents related to the historical importance of the state and the people. It was involved in the task of collection, compilation recording, and documentation of all these topics. Then the experts analyze them properly. The museum has put up several exhibitions in various places to provide information on historical stand of the region. It also conducts a number of seminars and conferences inside the campus and other areas. The Department of History of the university plays a vital role in the execution of all these activities.
The museum promotes various attributes of the state. It contains documents related to all these topics. They are as follows,
- Archaeology and History of Uttarakhand
- Folk literature
- Regional journalism
- Agricultural implements
- Household articles
- Musical instruments
- Documents and the independence movements