Founded by the Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore, Visva Bharti University is located at Santiniketan, West Bengal. The government funded autonomous University has 10 sub- institutes under it. These institutes of higher education are renowned for excellence in their respective fields. The University offers numerable courses at certificate, graduate, postgraduate, and doctoral levels.
Viswa Bharti University Important Dates
|Releasing of Merit List for UG and PG courses||October 3, 2020 (Released)|
|Online Admission Test for Ph.D. in Education and M.Phil/Ph.D. in Bengali||05 Nov, 2020|
|Online Admission Test for Ph.D. in Plant Pathology, Chemistry and M.Phil./Ph.D. in Economics||04 Nov, 2020|
|Viva-Voce Entrance Test for M.Phil/Ph.D. in Sanskrit, Pali and Prakrit||03 Nov, 2020; 04 Nov, 2020; 05 Nov, 2020|
|Final Viva-Voce Entrance Test for M.Phil/Ph.D. in Sanskrit, Pali and Prakrit||07 Nov, 2020; 08 Nov, 2020; 09 Nov, 2020|
|Admission Test for Ph.D. in Comparative Literature||03 Nov, 2020|
|Admission Test for M.Phil. in Comparative Literature||02 Nov, 2020|
|Viva Voce for Ph.D./M.Phil. in Comparative Literature||10 Nov - 12 Nov, 2020|
|Registration Deadline for M.Sc in Biotechnology||31 Oct, 2020|
|Registration Deadline for Pre-Primary and Primary Courses||15 Jan, 2021|
Viswa Bharti University Highlights
Year of Establishment
UGC (University Grants Commission)
Main Campus Area
Santiniketan, West Bengal, India, Pin 731235
Viswa Bharti University Courses
The university provides numerous undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral courses in the field of
- humanities and social sciences
- Sciences, Music, dance & drama
- Fine arts, Rural reconstruction
- Agriculture, Education
- Physical Education
- Yogic art & science etc.
To check detailed Visva Bharti University courses and fee, click here.
Vishwa Bharti University UG Courses
Admissions in the Viswa Bharti University in various courses at undergraduate level are accepted in the fields described above. The undergraduate courses offered by the university are of 3 or 4 years of duration, depending on the particular course. The eligibility criteria for admission in Visva bharti University UG courses is given below.
To know about admission process click here.
- Admissions in the Visva Bharti University are accepted on the basis of merit list.
- The candidates who have secured at least 60% marks in aggregate and 60% in the respective subject at +2 level are eligible to apply.
Visva Bharti University PG Courses
The university offers a postgraduate degree in various specializations. These courses are of 2-year duration and the basic eligibility is as follows.
- The University conducts Test for admission in the postgraduate programs of various disciplines.
- The exam for a particular department is conducted by the Bhavana under which the department fells. The marks secured in this written Admission Test are the criteria of admission. The admission is merit-based.
- For candidates of the general category, the qualifying marks are 30% for General candidates whereas for the eligibility for candidates belonging to OBC categories is 27%.
- For candidates belonging to SC & ST categories, there is no minimum qualifying marks requirement in the test conducted by the university.
Visva Bharati University Ph.D. and M. Phill courses
The Viswa Bharti University offers Ph.D. and M.Phill course onboard. The course duration M. Phill course duration is 2 years and for Ph.D. duration is three years, which include coursework. The basic eligibility criteria are described below.
- Admission in the university is accepted on the basis of UGC-NET (including JRF)/ UGC-CSIR NET (including JRF)/SLET/GATE/ teacher fellowship or the test conducted by the University for admission in the Ph.D. and M. Phill courses.
- Where applicants seeking admission to the M. Phil. and Ph.D. programmes of Visva Bharti University must also qualify the following requirements.
- A Master’s degree or a professional degree equivalent to the Master’s with at least 55% marks in aggregate or its equivalent.
- A relaxation of 5% of marks, from 55% to 50%, or an equivalent relaxation of grade, may be allowed for those belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer)/ /Differently-abled and other categories.
Visva Bharti University Scholarships
A number of scholarships and fellowships are offered to the students studying at the Visva Bharti University, West Bengal. These include
- Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship for ST/SC candidates
- post-doctoral fellowship for women
- UGC NET JRF/SRF
- Postgraduate Indira Gandhi scholarship for single girl child
Apart from these scholarships, merit-based scholarships are offered to candidates of all courses.
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria for UG courses at Visva Bharati University?
Ans. The admission takes place based on the merit list. The candidates who have secured at least 60% marks in aggregate are eligible to apply. They are also required to have a minimum 60% score in the concerned subject in +2.
Ques. Does Visva Bharati University offer scholarships to the reserved category students?
Ans. Yes, Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship is provided to the SC/ST candidates. The college also offers merit-based scholarships to students of all courses.
Ques. What is the format of Journalism in Mass Communication Entrance conducted by VBU?
Ans. The test carries 50 marks. The duration is 1 hour. Candidates have to write four subjective questions. The qualifying marks are 30/100 for the general category, 27/100 for OBCs. There are no such marks boundation for SC/ST candidates.
Ques. How many seats and specializations are available in M.Sc program at VBU?
Ans. A total of 25 seats are available in the course. The specializations are offered in the following 15 domains- Agriculture, Botany, Mathematics, Biotechnology, Zoology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Plant Protection, Environmental Science, Agronomy, Anthropology, Horticulture, Soil Science, Social Science and Agricultural Chemistry, Agricultural Extension Education.
Ques. What is the fee for applying to more than one subject?
Ans. For General and OBC candidates Rs. 500/- + Rs. 200/-( for each additional subject).
- For ST/SC and PWD candidates Rs. 150/- + Rs. 75/- ( for each additional subject)
Ques. Does VBU offer foreign language courses?
Ans. Yes, the university offers a BA in foreign language courses like Tibetan, Chinese, Persian, Japanese. These courses are of a 4 year time period including a 1-year preparatory course.
Ques. How many domains are available for the M.Phil./Ph.D. courses? Can anybody apply to the integrated M.Phil./Ph.D. course in Visva Bharati University?
Ans. The university offers M.Phil. course in 11 subjects and a Ph.D. course in 20 fields of research. It also offers an integrated M.Phil./ Ph.D. course in 10 specializations. Students from any discipline can apply for the integrated course.
Ques. What is the fee structure and eligibility criteria for Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) course in VBU?
Ans. The fee for the entire course is Rs. 15,550/-. The candidate must have at least 55% marks in 10+2 or equivalent examination from a recognized board or the institute must possess any of the subjects prescribed according to the university.
Ques. Are the faculties of the Visva Bharati University helpful?
Ans. Yes, the faculty is well experienced and helpful. Individual attention is given to all students. The staff has ample knowledge of the concerned subjects.