Visva Bharati University is a Central Govt. funded autonomous university located in Santiniketan, West Bengal. It was this endeavor that paved way for the establishment of the unorthodox university.
- The foundation for the university was laid in the year 1863, and in 1888, Sri Debendranath Tagore offered the buildings and the land for establishing the Brahmavidyalaya.
- Fulfilling his father’s dreams, Rabindranath established the Brahmacharyasrama on 22nd December 1901 with a mere five students. However, the VBU was formally founded in the year 1921 by Rabindranath Tagore.
- It was given the status of a central university and also a national importance status by the 1951 Act of Parliament
- The university has under its administration 12 institutes 5 schools, 15 different centers, and a great many departments
- The infrastructure provided to the students is of the highest class having fully furnished hostels, computer centers and libraries etc.
- Various programs at UG, PG and other levels encompassing all the relevant fields of both modern eras as also traditional teachings are offered in the university
- The university is situated in the extremely serene and picturesque place of Shantiniketan in West Bengal providing an ideal atmosphere for the students to pursue studies
- It is spread over an area of seven acres of land and has the unique feature of conducting classes out in the open in harmony with nature.
- As Central University, it has everything that justifies its status and reputation including the glorious departments having highly qualified and esteemed faculties.
Facts and Figures
Year of Establishment
UGC (University Grants Commission)
Main Campus Area
No. of Hostels
Santiniketan, West Bengal, India, Pin 731235
How to Reach
- 4.3 Km from Bolpur Santiniketan Railway Station, Bolpur Santiniketan Road, Bolpur, West Bengal, India
- 163 Kms from Dum Dum Airport, Jessore Road, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
Visva Bharati University Courses
The University offers various Under Graduate (UG), Post Graduate (PG), M.Phil and Ph.D. courses under various specializations giving the students a pool of options for undertaking higher studies. There is a total of 9 departments offering UG, PG, and M.Phil and Ph.D. courses including Patha Bhavan for school education. The University also provides for certain specific courses specially designed for the foreign students.
To know more about courses and their Fees Structure, click here
Visva Bharati University Admission 2016-17
The admission procedure for all the UG and PG courses generally starts from mid-April and continues until the end of May. Admission for most of the courses is done based on the merit of the students.
Candidates can apply for more than one subject:
- For General & OBC candidates Rs. 500/- + Rs. 200/- (For each additional subject)
- For SC, ST & PWD candidates Rs. 150/- + Rs. 75/- (For each additional subject)
To know more details about admission process, click here
Extracurricular Activities: With a view to make the student superior in all areas of life, the university encourages them to take part in various non-academic activities also. The NCC Unit of the university has involved the students in a number of co-curricular activities like:
- Excursion to Army Contingent
- Social services through cycle expedition
- Various camps
- Ceremonial parades
- Participation in Republic Day Parade
- Trekking and much more
Hostel Facility: Excellent accommodation facilities could be availed by the students in the campus allowing them to have a nice and comfortable stay.
- Overall there are 44 hostels in the university being allotted to both girls and boys separately belonging to different sections
- A total of around 1100 boys and about 1170 girls are residing in the hostels
- The school section has 3 hostels for girls and boys each having the capacity to accommodate 120 boys and 150 girl students
- The students of the higher university institutes are also allotted a great many hostels and can capacitate 960 girls and 918 boys and the research scholars too are allotted hostel rooms
- One kitchen in general for girls and five canteens are also there for the students to avail benefits from.
- Earn while you Learn system
- Study Tours
- Disability Support
- Guest House
- Transportation facilities
- Internet and computer facilities and so much more
Festivals: Being a traditionally established university through the endeavors of the great representative of India’s rich cultural heritage, the university retains its traditional by enjoying various festivals.
- Magh Mela
- Ananda Bazar
- Poush Mela
- Rathindra Mela
- Nandan Mela
Scholarships: VBU offers scholarships to the students studying in this university on the basis of merit for undergraduate students:
- University Merit Scholarship
- Fellowships awarded