Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Pashu Chikitsa Vigyan Vishwavidyalaya Evam Go Anusandhan Sansthan (DUVASU) located in Mathura in Uttar Pradesh is a unique and wonderful effort to study veterinary science in India. The university is first of its type in UP and 4th in India established by the government of UP under Act. No. 27 in 2001 with the College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry in Mathura as the principal college. The college with a glorious past and the first veterinary college in Asia to award veterinary science degrees was established in the year1947.
- With large and ever increasing requirement of trained and qualified manpower in various sectors of veterinary science, animal husbandry, fisheries and other disciplines, the UP government came up with this fourth veterinary university in the country and the acclaimed veterinary college of Mathura became its principal subsidiary.
- The university located on the Mathura-Agra road has its main campus in Mathura Cantonment and another campus at Madhurikund, which is about 20 km from main campus
- Besides studying veterinary science, animal science, fisheries, livestock and others, there is huge scope of research work in the university in various subjects
- Since establishment, the university has significantly contributed in terms of producing successful graduate and postgraduate students of high academic caliber
- Prof. A.C. Varshney is the current Vice Chancellor of the university. He is working with a commitment to promote veterinary science and research projects in the country
DUVASU’s high academic points are:
- Students get hands-on training on veterinary science, animal husbandry and allied subjects
- Even faculties and staff get abundant scope to brush up their scientific and working knowledge for increased and all around performance
- Applied and basic research on animal health and production
- Inviting livestock owners and marginal farmers and rural women for improving productivity of their economy and livestock
- Collaborate with various state and national level institutes and NGOs to facilitate livestock, fishery, poultry and related sectors
- Creating more socially responsible, aware and trained individuals and manpower in animal health, vaccination and welfare
- Declamation quiz
- Essay writing competition
- Cultural activities
- Indoor & outdoor sports like cricket, hockey, football, volley-ball, badminton, kabaddi and kho-kho
- The library has a collection of over 25,000 books. Of these, more than 12,000 books are kept as reference books. Around 400 to 500 basic to advanced books are added every year for the users of the library.
- The library subscribes around 16 foreign journals and 20 Indian journals every year.
- So far, the library has built up over 22,090 back volumes of journals.
- Four well-ventilated and maintained boys’ hostels (three for undergraduates and one for postgraduates) and one girls’ hostel
- All hostels have common rooms with television, daily newspapers and magazines
- There are also indoor games facilities like carom, chess and table tennis for recreation
- Provision for indoor and outdoor sports activities for students’ pastime like cricket, hockey, volley-ball etc
- Various athletic meets and annual events are organized in the university playground from time to time
- Three students each from BVSc & AH are awarded university merit scholarship based on their educational merit and their tuition fees are waived off
- A scholarship of Rs.1000 approx. is awarded to one postgraduate student of each department on the basis of merit
- All OBC/ SC/ST students of BVSc, AH & MVSc receive a monthly stipend as per UP Govt
- Meritorious students receive gold, silver and bronze and other significant medals from the university during convocation