Himachal Pradesh National Law University (HPNLU) is located in Shimla district Ghandal and was established in the year 2016, by the Himachal Pradesh Act of 2016. The University began its own entrance examination HPNLET for admission in courses such as B.A.LL.B.; B.B.A. LL.B.; and LL.M. and Ph.D.Programmes from the year 2019-2020. The university has now become a part of the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) consortium. The university is approved by the University Grants Commission (UGC) and ranked 5 among NLU’s by CLAT Cutoff list 2019. At present, the university provides students with undergraduate programs, postgraduate programs and doctoral programs.
The University offers interdisciplinary and practical/application based legal education looking at the requirements of overall developments of its students. Under the academic and administrative leadership of Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Nishtha Jaswal, the team is committed to gain new heights in law education.
HPNLU Shimla Highlights
|Campus Location||Shimla district, Ghandal, HP|
|Admission Criteria||HPNLET, CLAT|
|Gender Diversity||Co-Ed College|
HPNLU Shimla Courses
The college offers various UG, PG and Doctoral courses in the field of law. The details are given below:
|BA.LLB||-||10+2 (50%+)||CLAT||5 years|
|BBA.LLB||-||10+2 (50%+)||CLAT||5 Years|
|LLM||Constitutional Law||LLB (55%+)||CLAT||1 year|
|PhD||Law||Graduation||HPNLU||3 Years minimum|
Read more: HPNLU Shimla Courses
HPNLU Shimla Admissions 2020
The university provides numerous programs such as BA-LLB (HONS), BBA-LLB(HONS), LLM, and a Ph.D. program.
- Admission to BA/BBA.LLB (UG) & LLM (PG) courses is conducted based on CLAT cut- off. Selected candidates are then required to attend a document verification round.
- Each undergraduate program includes 60 seats for the shortlisted candidates. Applicants should have passed 10+2 with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks from the recognized education board.
- The university provides LLM with 20 seats available for the shortlisted applicants, at the postgraduate level. Students must have an LL.B. degree with at least 55% aggregate marks.
- Students can fill an application form on the HPNLU website.
- An entrance test is conducted for admission to the PhD program. Applicants who have qualified UGC NET/ JRF are not required to appear for the entrance test.
Read more: HPNLU Shimla Admissions 2020
HPNLU Shimla Facilities
Himachal Pradesh National Law University is giving infrastructural facilities such as hostels, library, and cafeteria to the students. These facilities are required for their comfortable and easy campus life. The administration of the university puts all the efforts to make sure that no student is facing any problem in the HPNLU campus and if any student faces any problem, the administration tries to find the solution as soon as possible.
- Hostel: Himachal Pradesh National Law University provides separate hostels for boys and girls. The HPNLU also has AC and non-AC rooms for the students. Hostels have facilities such as light, Wi-Fi, water cooler, common rooms, CCTV cameras, newspapers/magazines, etc. Nobody is given permission to go out of the campus without the warden’s allowance.
- Library: A library is available for the students on the HPNLU campus. In the library, students can find numerous collections of books, journals, research, etc. Students can also head to the library if he/she is feeling a little stressed as the library is considered as one of the peaceful places on the campus that can relax your mind.
- Cafeteria: A cafeteria has various eatery stores in HPNLU. Students can purchase the food items and chill for some time with their friends in the cafeteria.
- Sports: University works to give high-class sports facilities and for this purpose, the land has been dedicated to developing courts and state of art gymnasium that is under construction in the University Campus. Currently, students can get the gym and other sports facilities that the Himachal Pradesh Judicial Academy, Ghandal provides.
- Medical/Hospital: The Civil Hospital, Dhami is at a distance of about 2 km from the University. It is a well equipped multi-specialty hospital. Ambulance services from the hospital are provided round the clock for the residents of the University for any Emergency Situation.
- I.T Infrastructure: The University has a great IT Infrastructure facility for the students.
- Transportation: The University also provides one Innova Car and one Toyota Etios. A bus has been available which is provided to the student's activities like court visits, Legal Aid Programs, and Clinics. The University is decently connected through HRTC bus services.
- Banks/ATMs: UCO Bank, situated at a distance of about 2kms fulfill the requirements of the students and the staff. Students can create their bank accounts with UCO Bank.
- Classrooms: The University provides the Well-furnished Classroom facility available on the campus for the students.
Read more: HPNLU Shimla Hostels
HPNLU Shimla Faculty
The faculty at the university is very helpful, knowledgeable and qualified in their respective subjects. Hon’ble Mr. Justice L. Narayana Swamy (Chief Justice, High Court of Himachal Pradesh) is the Chancellor of the college. Prof. Dr. Nishtha Jaswal is the vice-chancellor and Dr. Girjesh Shukla is the dean here.
Some of the talented members of core faculty:
- Dr. Ruchi Sapahia Associate Professor
- Dr. Alok Kumar Assistant Professor of Law
- Dr. Chandreshwari Minhas Assistant Professor of Law
- Ms. Navditya Tanwar Kaundal Assistant Professor of Law
- Mr. Hari Chand Assistant Professor, Management
- Mr. Digvijay Singh Katoch Assistant Professor of Economics
Read more: HPNLU Shimla Faculty
HPNLU Shimla FAQs
Ques. Are placements available at HPNLU?
Ans. The Himachal Pradesh National Law University has not finished its first batch. Thus, the question of placement does not arise now. The first batch will be complete in the year 2021 and after that, only one could know about placements. Read more: HPNLU Placements
Ques. Should I apply for HPNLU Shimla (HPNLET 2020)?
Ans. Yes, you must apply for HPNLU Shimla. It is a good developing college. The faculty and the location is also good to make your campus life interesting.
Ques. Are any scholarships given to the students by HPNLU?
Ans. No, there are no scholarships available for any of the courses that are provided by HPNLU. However various scholarships are provided as per the norms of Himachal Pradesh government. For more information, click here.
Ques. Is there any age limit to appear for CLAT UG or PG for taking admission into HPNLU Shimla?
Ans. No, as per regulations, there is no upper limit for a candidate to pursue any law course from HPNLU Shimla. The need to clear CLAT UG and CLAT Pg and with the scorecard they are granted admission to various courses.
Ques. What are the fees for pursuing BA LLB (Hons.) from HPNLU?
Ans. The fees for the course of BA LLB is INR 2.01 Lakhs for the first year. The detailed fee structure for BA LLb and other courses is available at HPNLU Shimla Fee Structure.