Lesley University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Lesley University was founded in 1909 as a school to train teachers. Over time it started offering programs in various areas of study like art and design, business management, counseling and psychology, education, expressive therapies, humanities, science and mathematics, and social sciences.
Lesley University offers admissions in Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral levels of study. It has 4 schools namely Graduate School of Education, College of Art and Design, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and Graduate School of Arts and Social Sciences.
|Type of University||Private|
|Year of Establishment||1909|
Lesley University Rankings
- Ranked #246 in National Universities by U.S. News and World Report 2020.
- Ranked #90 in Top Performers on Social Mobility by U.S. News and World Report 2020.
- Ranked #51 in Best College Location in America by Niche 2020.
- Ranked #79 in Most Liberal Colleges in America by Niche in 2020.
Lesley University Campus
The campus of Lesley University is spread across three interconnected areas namely Doble campus, Brattle campus and Porter campus.
- More than 30 student-run organizations operate in the university.
- There are 14 NCAA division III athletic teams in the University that participate in sports like baseball, basketball, cross country, soccer, softball, tennis, track events and volleyball.
Residence Facilities at Lesley University
More than 60% of the undergraduate students live on the University’s campus in Cambridge. The University has 22 residence halls with a capacity to accommodate more than 900 students.
- Housing options include traditional residence halls, suite-style apartments and Victorian-style housing.
- Traditional style halls have rooms with shared bathrooms, cooking spaces and relaxing lounges.
- Suite-style housing provides space for 4-8 students with a private share, large lounge, and kitchen with all facilities.
- Victorian-style houses have space for 20-40 students with single, double and triple sharing rooms. Halls consist of a central lounge, kitchen and laundry.
- Each room in the residence hall has common basic amenities that include internet access, single beds, window shades, dresser, wardrobe, closet space, desk and chair.
Programs offered at Lesley University
Lesley University offers programs across 35 undergraduate and 80 graduate areas of study along with professional development and continuing education, threshold programs and online programs.
- Undergraduates of the University commonly apply for a program in business management, education, design, illustration, photography, psychology, and applied therapies or social sciences.
- Majority of graduate students enroll for a program in education, clinical mental health counseling, expressive therapies or counseling and psychology.
- Lectures are given in a small classroom setting with student-faculty ratio of 10:1 and not auditoriums.
International students who want to seek admissions at the university can follow the below-mentioned application details:
Application Portal: Students can apply via the Common Application portal.
Application Deadline: For undergraduate admissions, the application deadline is December 1 and for graduate admissions, the application deadline is rolling.
Basic Admission Requirements:
- High school GPA – 3.1 on 4.0
- English proficiency test scores – International students whose native language is not English must take English proficiency tests and send their score to the university. The minimum requirements of these test scores are:
|TOEFL - IBT||80|
- Recommendation letter
- Scores of Exams to study in the USA
- Personal Statement
- Original Transcripts of the last attended institution
Cost of Attendance
The estimated cost of attendance for international students to study at the university is mentioned below:
|Room and Board||8740 USD|
|Student Health Insurance||2798 USD|
|Tuition||650 - 1160 USD/credit hour|
|Graduate Fees||2000 USD approx.|
|Student Health Insurance||5781 USD|
Scholarships & Financial Aid for International Students
Lesley University has options for scholarships, grants, student employment and loans for helping students financially.
96% of the new undergraduate students received financial aid. Scholarships are offered to study in the USA. Grants are also offered for international students are given in the table below:
|Name of Scholarship||Eligibility Criteria||Amount awarded|
|Lesley Merit Scholarship||Applicant’s capability and academic records||Variable|
|Urban Scholars Initiative||On basis of financial aid||50% off tuition fee|
|Graduate Merit Scholarships||Applicants of counseling and psychology master’s||12000 USD|
Lesley alumni members enjoy several benefits using an alumni ID card. These include 10% alumni discount on tuition fee of any on-campus courses, use career resources, Lesley’s Sherrill Library access, use fitness center, discount on purchases from Lesley University bookstore, opportunity to attend alumni events, savings on insurance taken from Liberty Mutual and Embrace Pet Insurance, discount on renting cars, cell phones, hotels, computer accessories etc.
Notable alumni of the University include: Shantel Hansen – filmmaker; Caroline Maguire – Parenting expert and ADHD coach; Kate Castelli – Chairperson of illustration and design; Craig Martin – Principal of the South Boston elementary school and many others.
95% of the graduates of bachelor’s degree 2018 batch were either employed or continued education. 94% of the Master’s program graduates of 2018 were either placed on jobs or they enrolled for further education.
Lesley University has an advantage of its location in Boston in terms of career for students. Boston is the no. 1 startup hub in the U.S. which provides immense internship opportunities for students.
FIND A PROGRAM
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
After completing my B.ed, I was looking out for a university that'll help me out to become a great teacher in the future. I did a detailed search of many universities before applying for my masters because it was one of the major decisions for the long term. I applied for this college online. There was not much tough competition while applying for this college although I got good grades in my b.ed. So, I decided to apply here through the online portal, which was absolutely free.
Course Curriculum :
The course covered in my first year of M.ed was very up to date. It was competitive yet understandable. It helped us to strengthen our fundamentals of teaching but it also taught us the Importance of elementary teaching in today's generation. I learned about the main subject area and curriculum development.
I choose Lesley University for numerous reasons, including the academic prowess of the school and a chance to play for a storied basketball program in front of my family and friends. One of the salient features of the university is that in six years I will be getting two degrees. I submitted the application form online (common application), no fee was charged. When I was selected at the university I was also called for the face to face interview.
Course Curriculum :
I require 60 credits to complete the course. As an expressive arts therapy student at Lesley, I am getting training to become both a licensed mental health counselor and an expressive arts therapist. The therapeutic practice integrates principles of creativity, imagination, embodiment, performance, expression, and experience.
I chose this college because it has both more traditional majors as well as a section of the school specifically devoted to a variety of arts. This allowed me to feel comfortable going into this school without a set major before my freshman year.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculums are well picked as they all work to expand learning in one's particular field. They help us connect with internships and employment options in our desired field as well which has made me feel more confident with the major chose. The gen ed classes are also beneficial.
Lesley is one of the few colleges that offers my major and is small. It is also located in the greater Boston area which means there are always things to do. Lesley is also cost-effective, it costs me as much to attend their private 4-year program than it would've for me to pursue another major at a state school.
Course Curriculum :
Lesley Maybe a little unorganized but the course offerings are great. The professors care about getting to know their students and want them to succeed. Lesley also has a great internship office with many opportunities.
- Shopping Mall
- Super Market
- Book Store
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary