Scholarships to Study in the U.S.A: Scholarship Types, Financial Aids, Student Loans
According to the IIE’s Open Doors Report, there are 819,644 international students study in the U.S.A. Out of them most of the students have been given some sort of financial assistance.
Keeping funding an important factor in the study in the US, there are certain strategies that can be used for choosing universities:
- Choosing public universities can minimize the cost.
- Selecting universities that offer scholarships to international students.
- Attending a community college first and then transferring to a 4-year institution can also cost less.
Besides all the above strategies, there are 3 other funding options that can lower study in US cost.
Scholarships for International students in the USA
To apply to different courses and universities in the U.S.A, there are several types of scholarship options.
Study in the U.S.A: Undergraduate Scholarships for International students
|Scholarship||Application deadline||Awarded to||Amount/Benefit|
|American University Emerging global leader Scholarship||15 December 2018||International students pursuing a bachelor’s degree in an American University||$6000-$25000|
|ICSP Scholarship at University of Oregon||15 January 2018||International students demonstrating financial need and academic merit||Tuition fee waiver worth $7500- $30,000|
|Clark Global Scholarship Program||1 February. 2018||International students pursuing a bachelor’s degree and demonstrating financial need.||$15000-$25000 of scholarship per year|
|United world colleges international youth scholarships.||Varies, around February- April||International students pursuing a bachelor’s degree in the USA||Full or partial fee waiver depending on the funds available.|
Study in the U.S.A: Graduate Scholarships
|Scholarships||Application Deadline||Awarded to||Amount/Benefit|
|PEO International Peace Scholarship For Women||15 December 2018||International women students pursuing graduate programs in the USA.||$12,500|
|Obama Foundation Scholars’ Program||17 April 2018||Individuals making a difference in civil society, in the private sector and public sector.||Full tuition fee, monthly living stipend, funding for books and course material.|
|Civil Society Leadership Award||1 December 2018||Students pursuing masters’ degree in the USA demonstrating academic excellence.||Tuition and travel expenses, living expenses and a monthly stipend.|
|Fully Funded Rotary Peace Fellowships||31 May 2018||International students pursuing a Professional Development Certificate Program or Masters’ Degree Program related to peace and conflict resolution.||Tuition and fees, room and board, round-trip transportation, and all internship and field-study expenses|
International Student Loan to Study in the U.S.A
- International students can apply for a student loan in USA year around depending on whether they have qualified in all the test requirements to study in the U.S.A.
- These loans can cover all tuition costs minus any other financial aid available.
- Most lenders in the U.S require an international student to have a Cosigner.
- The cosigner should be a U.S citizen with good credit history and has lived in the USA for the past 2 years.
- Some select loans will not require a cosigner if you meet specific criteria
- Attending an eligible school, demonstrate high career potential, and plan on graduating within the next two years are the few eligibility criteria.
Fellowships in the USA
Neukom Postdoctoral Fellowship for International Students at Dartmouth College
Applications Deadline: November 15, 2018
Eligibility: International students pursuing Ph.D. in the USA
Benefit: 2-year appointment in 2 departments of Dartmouth College. Other than the Annual stipend of $60,000, expense for travel, stay, equipment and research material also covered.
IRH Biruté Cipijauskaité Postdoctoral International Fellowship in Spanish Poetry
Applications Deadline: December 3, 2018
Eligibility: International students who have completed their doctorate degree and doing research work in Spanish poetry.
Benefits: Annual stipend of $57,000, office space, support services, and access to all university facilities.
Postdoctoral Fellowship for International Students at Princeton University
Applications Deadline: August 22, 2018
Eligibility: International students pursuing a Postdoctoral programme in the Liberal Arts, an interdisciplinary group of scholars in the humanities, social sciences, and selected natural sciences.
Benefit: Annual salary of approx. $88,800, a $5,000 research account, access to university grants, a shared office, a personal computer, and other resources.
Thomas F. Deutsch Postdoctoral Research Fellowship for International Students
Application Deadline: May 31, 2018
Eligibility: International students pursuing postdoctoral research programme in 4 areas of Optical Coherence Tomography, In Vivo Microscope, Micro-Optical and Point-of-Care Devices, and Photodynamic Therapy (PDT)
Benefit: Up to $2000
Study in the U.S.A: Documents Required for US Aid
- A completed scholarship application form
- Copy of passport/ID
- Copies of transcripts/Diploma
- IELTS/ TOEFL Score
- Statement of purpose/Letter of motivation
- Letter of recommendation (1 or 2)
- CV (Curriculum Vitae)
- SAT/ACT/ GRE/ GPA and other test scores
- Parents' financial information, including tax returns
How to Apply for Financial Aid?
- Students can apply for scholarships at the official website of the institutions providing the aid
- They also help in getting accommodation options to study in the U.S.A.
- Students need to register first at the common application portal to be able to apply for scholarships.
- Application for loans requires a cosigner who can sign on the legal documents.
- One can apply for a loan at any US bank after submitting the required documents.
- Most of the loans and scholarships are offered to the students with good tests scores.