Loyola University 2020-2021 Admissions: Acceptance Rate, Requirements, Deadlines, Application Process
Loyola University Chicago is a private Catholic university in Chicago, Illinois. With a 67% rate of acceptance, LUC has somewhat competitive admissions. Undergraduate, graduate, integrated, certificate, doctoral and non-degree programs are offered by the university. Loyola University Chicago offers more than 80 undergraduate majors and minors. Student population here exceeds 17,000 in number and continues to grow each admission. About 47 countries are represented by their students at the university.
LUC comprises 14 schools, colleges and institutes. A range of study options are available here- from Business, Medicine and Law to Social work, Education, Communication, Pastoral Studies and Environmental Sustainability. The university is a brilliant option for those seeking quality higher education in the US, as it offers over 170 graduate, professional and graduate-level certificate courses.
Some salient points to be noted when applying for the university are as follows:
- Loyola University Chicago invites admission application for the term of fall, spring and summer.
- Loyola University Chicago awarded 92 million USD as grants and scholarship annually to admitted students
- A total of 97% of undergraduate student receive grant, scholarship annually at Loyola University Chicago
- To take admission in any of the streams at Loyola University Chicago, students are advised to consult a program faculty or Enrollment Advisor first, in case of queries.
- Students can apply any time throughout the year, but the deadline for undergraduate applicants is December 1 and applications made around this time are given first preference.
- Graduate applications are to be made according to the semester in mind and course chosen, for which the Application window Falls between February to December for spring or fall session.
- Average GPA of the admitted students was 3.78. Middle 50% ACT ranged from 25 to 30. Middle 50% SAT ranged from 570-660 in Verbal and 550- 650 in Math
|Application Portal||UG: Loyola University Application
PG: Loyola University Graduate Application
|Application fee||No charge|
|TOEFL and SAT||IELTS: 6.5; TOEFL: 79
ACT: 25-30; SAT: 550-660
|Mode of payment||Credit Card/Wire Transfer/Installment/E-check, Flywire Payment Portal|
|Intake months||April and September|
|Work experience||Required for MBA|
|Financial aid||Scholarships, Grants, Loans, Work-Study Integration|
|International Admissions||LUC International|
Loyola University Admission Deadlines
Loyola University Chicago invites its admission application all over the world for the term of fall, spring and summer. It has students from more than 70 countries.
|Fall Deadline||August 29, 2021|
|Fall Semester Begins||August 30, 2021|
|Spring Deadline||January 17, 2021|
|Spring Semester Begins||January 19, 2021|
|Summer Deadline||May 24, 2021|
Loyola University Acceptance Rate
Loyola University Chicago is selective while accepting applicants for final admissions. The acceptance rate is 67% only. Half of the total admitted students at Loyola University Chicago have SAT scores between 1130 to 1320 and ACT scores at 25 to 30.
It considers a holistic admission review of each applicant. Some of the core factors Loyola University Chicago considers while shortlisting students for admissions:
- Personal Statement
- ACT/SAT score
- Resume of achievement
- Extracurricular activities at school or community
- GPA at least 3.0 for higher education programs
Loyola University International Student Admissions
This section shall present general admission requirements for international aspirants-
- Application for undergraduate and postgraduate courses must be made separately
- Admission portals for each are allotted respectively
- Students must take any of the required standardized exams and submit scores for admission consideration
- IELTS or TOEFL
- SAT or ACT tests (Freshmen)
- GRE/GMAT (graduate programs)
- Students must apply for an F1 or J1 visa to get entry into the US.
- Students have to attach a resume for the completion of the application.
- Some programs like MBA and Medical expect candidates to clear an interview as well.
- The following documents are to be submitted-
- Academic transcripts
- English Language Proficiency Test Score
- Letter of recommendation
- Declaration of finances
- 500-word personal statement (optional)
- Work experience (For MBA and Medical students)
English Proficiency Test Scores
It's essential for non-native English speaking students to have an English Language Test Score to be considered for admission. The general scores are given in the table below-
|Test||Score (at least)|
|Duolingo English Test for Proficiency||120|
Visa Process for International Students
Students who wish to pursue an education in the US should have an F1 or J1 student visa. An application shall be made at the earliest. This is how the procedure unfolds-
- The visa application will have to be made at any consulate or embassy of the USA in the home country of a student.
- Before going to make an application, students shall have to pay the SEVIS fee, which is $350 for F1 visa and $220 for J1 visa.
- After filling the DS-160 form and paying the application fee students shall have to fill and submit the I-20 form, issued by the university after the visa application has been made.
- An interview appointment shall be made as part of the process of visa acquisition.
- The documents to be submitted are as follows-
- I-20 or DS-2019 form
- SEVIS fee receipt
- DS-160 non-immigration visa application
- Financial sustenance proof
- Acceptance letter
- Test scores
Loyola University Undergraduate Admissions
Applicants for any of the undergraduate major or minor in different programs at Loyola University should pay heed to the following information-
- Where to Apply: Online application portal for undergraduate courses
- Application fee: Free of cost
- Admission requirements: The following must be submitted for admission into the program-
- High School transcripts
- Official SAT/ACT test score
- English Language Proficiency Test Score
- Financial support proof
- Letter of recommendation (maximum three)
- Personal statement
Loyola University Chicago has declared test-optional admission for the admission of 2021-22 term. Applicants need not mandatorily submit test scores to be considered for admission. University will give admission on a holistic review of each applicant.
Though applicants applying for Bachelor of Nursing and Engineering Science programs will need to submit self-reported test scores as part of admission requirements.
Loyola University Graduate Admissions
Students applying for graduate courses should apply online through the Grad Online Application Portal. The general requirements for the courses are as follows-
- A Bachelor degree
- English Language Proficiency Test Score
The table below presents an overview of some of the graduate courses offered by Loyola University-
|Course||Application Deadline||General Academic Requirements|
|MS Bioinformatics||Fall: February 1 (for scholarship access);
March 15 or October 15
|Minimum of 3.0 GPA; Thesis committee approval (thesis); Internship (non-thesis); GRE score;|
|Post Baccalaureate in Classical Studies||On a Rolling basis,
Application to be made for Fall around July
|Minimum GPA of 3.0; List of courses pursued in Classical Studies; Additional coursework in case Latin and Greek are weak; Letter of recommendation|
|MA Community Counseling||Fall: January 1||Minimum GPA of 3.0; Two letters of recommendation;
Personal statement; GRE score (optional)
Students must be updated about admission requirements for courses they are willing to apply, as each course demands specific eligibility fulfillment. Visa must be applied according to study and work plans and an application for the same must be made immediately after the reception of the admission letter. Additional costs along with the tuition fee might have to be incurred, which must be calculated beforehand to avoid any confusion while pursuing the course.
Ques. What is test-optional admission at Loyola University Chicago?
Ans. Due to the coronavirus outbreak, Loyola University Chicago has decided to grant student admission without submission of test scores. University will do a holistic admission review of each applicant.
Ques. If I had a different name in my previous academic degree, do I need to inform this Loyola University Chicago while submitting my application?
Ans. Yes. Please inform your previous name and academic certificate. This will give transparency to your application and decrease the chances of rejection.
Ques. Does Loyola University Chicago admit international transfer students?
Ans. Yes. International transferred students are considered for admission based on previous academic coursework. A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a scale of 4.0 is required to apply. Applicants need to submit an application online and fulfill all mandatory requirements.
Ques. How can check my application status at Loyola University Chicago?
Ans. Applied applicants can check their application status at the personalized student portal on the University web page.