University of California: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Ranked among the top 40 universities in the world according to US News and World Reports’ Best Global Universities 2020, the University of California Davis is known for its standout academics and sustainability.
UC Davis is known worldwide for its expertise in agriculture and veterinary medicine and was ranked #1 in veterinary medicine in the world by QS World University Rankings. UC Davis is known for its commitment to the environment, both on a local and a global level. The campus focuses on achieving net-zero greenhouse gas emissions and has also successfully made tremendous contributions to sustainability with the help of students.
The University of California Davis is the second-oldest school in the University of California System. The university offers over 101 graduate programs and 102 undergraduate majors to students who want to study in the USA. The university is one to 39,629 students with 15% international students from all over the world.
- According to the Times Higher Education, UC Davis ranks #54 in the World University Rankings 2020.
- According to US News and World Reports (2020), UC Davis ranks,
- #39 in National Universities for 2020 edition of Best Colleges
- #17 in Best Colleges for Veterans
- #61 in Best Undergraduate Teaching
- #159 in Best Value Schools
- #57 in Most Innovative Schools
- #9 in Top Performers on Social Mobility
- #11 in Top Public Schools
- #29 in Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs
- #34 in Undergraduate Research/Creative Projects
- #1 in the nation for veterinary medicine and agriculture
- Ranks #2 nationally among affordable elite colleges
- University of California, Davis ranked #100 in 2019, QS world rankings.
- #5 among public universities in the USA
- #11 among US universities in number of international scholars
- According to Forbes Magazine, UC Davis ranked #88 among US Universities in 2019
|Year of Establishment||1908|
|Type of University||Public|
|Total student enrollment||39,629|
|International Students %||15%|
|Number of UG majors||102|
|Number of Graduate programs||101|
|Test Scores Accepted||TOEFL, IELTS both are accepted|
University of California Davis Campus
The University of California Davis is located in the Northern California city of Davis. The campus is over 5,300 acres and has unique architecture and facilities for the students to enjoy. UC Davis has an Airport, Fire Department and their very own collection of outdoor sculptures called Eggheads.
With over 700 student organizations, the campus is always bustling with activity. To encourage and keep alive student interests, there are over 800 student-clubs, to ensure the active participation of the students. Additionally, Davis also offers 25 Division I Varsity Sports, 39 Club sports and 29 intramural programs. Students also have the facility to play soccer, football, tennis, volleyball, baseball and more at the campus athletics facilities.
The ever-active campus also offers dancing, martial arts, and rock-climbing facilities. Unique to the entire UC system, they also have an equestrian center. Students are to pay a registration fee at the beginning of their program, which gives them unlimited access to all the Activities and Recreation Centers on campus, during its working hours.
University of California Student Housing
UC Davis offers students with housing options that include residence halls, student housing apartments, campus apartments and cooperatives. The Student Housing Apartments are run by a partnership between the Student Housing facilities and other private apartment complexes.
To ensure that the students get along as one community, all the Student Residence facilities and buildings are located within the University campus. There are few private apartments and cooperative communities, which are located on campus, and operated by private management as per their agreements with UC Davis. Some SHA apartments may also be located off-but-near campus.
- Residence Halls: 23 residence halls are organized in three areas: Segundo, Tercero, and Cuarto. These are located on the west side of the central campus: Segundo is on the northwest corner of central campus, Tercero is on the southwest corner of central campus, and Cuarto is one block northwest of central campus.
- University Apartments: Solano Park is the campus apartment, handled by the Student Housing and Dining Services. Apart from the University Student housing apartment, there are several other Student Housing Apartment options, which are handled in tie-up with private apartment facilities. These apartments are located both on and off (close-by) campus.
UC Davis Programs
The University through its courses ensures interdisciplinary studies along with a commitment to provide knowledge to the students. UC Davis offers several undergraduate and graduate programs.
With more than 100 majors to choose from, UC Davis offers students with a number of options to complete their undergraduate degree. a few popular majors include biological and biomedical sciences; social sciences; psychology; engineering; and agriculture, agriculture operations, etc.
UC Davis offers over 90 graduate programs in fields of agricultural & environmental sciences, arts and humanities, biological & life sciences, education, engineering, health sciences, physical sciences & mathematics, social sciences and management.
UC Davis Application Process
For admissions to University of California Davis, the application process is fairly straight-forward. Applications are to be made through the assigned online portal and all the deadlines must be strictly adhered to.
How to Apply: Applicants are required to apply directly on the university website through the respective application portal for UG and PG applications.
Application Fee: Undergraduate applicants have to pay USD 80 per campus and USD 140 for graduate programs.
Application Requirements: The requirements below are general. Few programs may have their specific requirements and these requirements must be adhered to. Apart from the program-specific requirements, here are a few general requirements for applying.
- Applicants must apply through the specified online portal.
- Submit all transcripts of high school, university, etc. as applicable.
- Any additional documents like resume, letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, etc. as required
- Standardized exams to study in the USA
- Submit valid passport
- Submit English Language scores. Both TOEFL and IELTS are accepted. A minimum score of 80 in TOEFL-iBT or a band score of 7.0 out of 9.0 scale is required in IELTS.
Cost of Attendance
The cost of attendance is different for in-state California students and International students.
The estimated cost for international students staying on-campus or off-campus has been tabulated below.
Since the university is located in the prime of California, the cost of living can be high if finances are not planned well. But the university provides a lot of facilities which can be availed of, thereby making the cost of living considerably less. The room and board expenses include food and dining expenses.
UG Cost of Attendance
|Expenses||Annual fee for international student on-campus (in USD)|
|Tuition and Fees||44,244|
|Books and Supplies||1,159|
|Room and Board||15,863|
Graduate Cost of Attendance
|Expenses||Annual fee for international student off-campus (in USD)|
|Tuition and Fees||28,699|
|Books and Supplies||384|
|Room and Board||15,038|
Note: This is just an estimate cost and may be liable to change. Also the graduate cost of attendance differs for each program and therefore, students are required to visit the university website for the details.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
The UC Davis Financial Aid Office is the primary source of information on financial resources to support studies in the USA at UC Davis. Listed below is a summary of available financial support for international students.
- Fellowships, Scholarships, and Grants: UC Davis offers various fellowships and scholarships that also includes awards administered by the campus, the University of California and private agencies. Undergraduate scholarships offered at UC Davis are awarded based on merit. The scholarship award ranges from 100 USD to 13,000 USD per academic year.
- Outside Scholarships: International students can apply for various outside international scholarships to study in the USA that are awarded by various private agencies or organizations or the government in respective home countries. A few examples of outside international scholarships are:
- Loreen Arbus Foundation & AWMF Scholarship- This scholarship is for women in journalism and mass communication. The scholarship offers USD 2,500 which is payable directly to the institute.
- Ford Empowering America Scholarship- This scholarship is also for women in journalism and media. The scholarship offers USD 3,000 to the winning student a USD 2,000 to the runner-up and the money is sent directly to the university.
- American Muscle’s Student Scholarships- This scholarship program offers USD 2,500 to any student pursuing an automotive-themed major.
- Graduate Student Funding: Financial support for graduate study at UC Davis is available in several forms: teaching and research assistantships; financial aid; and fellowships. Students are required to contact the Office of Graduate Studies for further information. Early applications for financial support are encouraged.
- Education Loans: International students can apply for various education loans through private lenders. It is suggested that the student must research available options and look for the one that is best suited to them.
FIND A PROGRAM
Application Portal : https://universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/undergrad_adm/apply/apply_online.html
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
RANKED #151 - #175
RANKED #126 - #150
View More >>
QS World University
It was because the reseach interest. My supervisor during Masters study had been a visiting student of this lab. So, my research interest are very much aligned with this lab. So, I choose this university.
Course Curriculum :
This is quarter based system. You need to take 40 credit course and all the pre-req subjects for CS. Then you can take research credit also.
My main reason was the professor whose research are I liked . Also, UC DAVIS has the best professors. Not only this, the people in davis are extremely good ! California is a silicon valley, it's always good to be connected to it.
Course Curriculum :
I have to say that the professors here are top class. The curriculum is designed in such a way that it prepares you for all kind of future challenges. There are many industries and universities( from Europe) which have great collaboration with UC,Davis. It provides a great opportunity for students to enhance their skills .
I chose University of California, Davis because it is a well known university for STEM courses. It is also one of the top ranked colleges in the world. It is located in a beautiful part of California. It is located close to the Silicon valley companies' head-quarters. This is ideal for those who opt for STEM courses and opens up possibilities after undergraduate studies. I chose Computer Science and Engineering which is a course under the College of Engineering simply because I like coding and find it fun. Coding makes problem-solving easier. It is satisfying to write a flawless code and see it work for all values you can think of.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum and academics is nothing like the Indian college system. Though some topics may be the same, you get to choose which topics you would like to study and when you want to take up that subject. There are a variety of topics you can chose from to satisfy non-academic interests for which you can earn credits. The college hours in general are lesser and self study time is more. College timings and courses are very flexible and you are even allowed to change your major a couple of times based on your interests. College atmosphere is more than purely academics. It is an amazing academic structure where it is easier for students to learn and enjoy.
It was located in California where companies such as Tesla are located.
Course Curriculum :
It is really good.
I opted for this university because it is ranked #1 in the nation for veterinary medicine and agriculture. The university is known worldwide for its expertise in agriculture. These were the main reasons behind opting for this university. I applied via their official website by paying an application fee of $140.
Course Curriculum :
MY program focuses on providing advanced training in economic analysis, statistical methods, and elective fields such as agricultural marketing, international trade, natural resources, and environmental economics, economic development, financial management, and managerial economics.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary