Northern Illinois University, USA: Ranking, Programs, Application Deadlines, Admission 2021, Fees, Scholarships
Northern Illinois University is a public university in the States which was established in 1895. Located in DeKalb, Illinois, the institute was founded in 1895 which was once a teacher’s school and later got converted into a University. It is renowned for empowering students with personal and professional skills to help them grow into individuals that can contribute towards the greater good of the community, making it a coveted name in the US Education System.
Currently the university offers 3,365 undergraduate, 1,340 graduates, 237 doctoral and 27 postgraduate certificate programs. All the programs are divided across seven colleges namely, Business, Education, Engineering and Technology, Health and Human Services, Law, Liberal Arts and Sciences, and Visual and Performing Arts. Apart from these the university also provides Juris Doctor degrees, certificate courses, accelerated courses, among others, to applicants coming to form over 103 countries across the globe with an aspiration of studying in the USA.
Northern Illinois University provides admissions mostly in the 2 intakes of Spring and Winter. The institute is a moderately selective institute which gets reflected in its acceptance rate of around 54% and guaranteed entry to any student with a decent overall profile and a striking GPA. The university also provides awards to the ones who excel in academics and provides 17 million USD as scholarships to more than 5,100 students.
Northern Illinois University Rankings
This university has been recognized nationally and globally for its academic and research. It made it to the world rankings, national rankings, and even subjects made in rankings at national and global levels.
- Ranked 154-209th in Top Public Schools - U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked 191st In Top Performers In Social Mobility - U.S. News & World Report
|Ranking Agency||U.S. News & Report||Times Higher Education||Forbes||CWUR||UniRank|
|Type of University||Public, Co-ed|
|Total Undergraduate enrollment||12,131|
|Total Graduate enrollment||4,204|
|Degree seeking student male/female distribution in percent||48.8% degree seeking men 51.2% degree seeking women|
|Annual Acceptance rate||54%|
|Test Scores Accepted||SAT or ACT|
|English proficiency language scores||IELTS/TOEFL or equivalent|
|Financial Aid||Available as Awards and Scholarships|
Northern Illinois University Campus
- Northern Illinois University has five locations- DeKalb, Chicago, Hoffman Estates, Naperville and Rockford. The main campus of Northern Illinois University that consists of a lush land of 800 acres.
- The university has its own Sports Club which is open to all fee-paying students. Sports such as Archery, Bowling, Swimming, Ice Hockey, Tennis, Volleyball, etc. can be played here for recreational purposes.
- NIU also has an extensive dining area with new additions of Starbucks, Grill at the Huskie Den, and the Depot C-Store. Students can either choose a meal option there or visit it for refreshments.
- There are around 300 student organizations registered with the Student Government Organization. The groups are divided into various subcategories such as Community Service, Diversity and Culture, Political, Military, etc.
- The safety and wellness of students is a priority on campus. Hence, centres such as Cultural Resources Centres, Campus Child Care, University Police and Public Safety, and Disability Resource Centre operate on campus.
Northern Illinois University Accommodation
- The university provides Housing and Residential Services on-campus to its students.
- Six Residence Halls: Gilbert Hall, Grant Hall, Neptune Hall, New Residence Hall, Northern View Community, and Steveston Towers.
- Types of Rooms Available: Double Room, Suite With Bathroom, Suite Without Bathroom, Single Room.
- Features of Halls: mixed coed floors, privacy-enhanced shared bathrooms, in-hall laundry rooms, 24-hour secure hall access, wifi, HD cable Tv, A.C., Elevators in some areas, public computer workstations, and anywhere printing.
Northern Illinois University Programs
- Types of programs offered by the university are undergraduate programs, graduate programs, online programs, law, minors and certificates, accelerated integrated programs, pre-professional studies, and doctoral and research programs.
- More than 200 programs are offered by the university, comprising 100+ undergraduate programs, 7 pre-professional programs, and 80+ graduate programs.
- Undergraduate programs are offered in the field of Business and Entrepreneurship; Government and non-profit services; Education; Art, Media, and Communications; Health and Wellness; Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.
- Academic programs also include Master’s degree programs, Specialist degree programs, doctoral degree programs, Certificate of Graduate study, Educator Licensure, Endorsements, off-campus programs, online programs, non-degree study, and research.
- Online programs are offered that comprise undergraduate degrees, certificates, and graduate degrees in the field of Science, General Studies, Arts, Applied Science, Business, Accountancy, etc.
- The most popular majors of 2019 graduates were Speech communication and Rhetoric; Psychology, General; Health/Medical Preparatory Programs, other; Mechanical Engineering; and Accounting.
Top Programs With Tuition Fee:
|Program||Tuition (First year)|
|Master of Science [M.Sc.] Engineering management||11,718 USD|
|Master of Science [M.Sc.] Digital Marketing||26,871 USD|
|Bachelor of Science [B.Sc.] Accountancy||28,395 USD|
|Bachelor of Science [B.Sc.] Operations and information management||19,891 USD|
|Master of Science [M.Sc.] Finance||37,581 USD|
Northern Illinois University Application Process
Application Portal: Online application
Application Fee (non-refundable): 40 USD
Northern Illinois University Admission Deadlines
Undergraduate international applicants can apply in the Fall and Spring semesters by the deadlines tabulated below. Please note that application deadlines for graduate admissions vary with programs.
Documents must be submitted by May 1
Documents must be submitted by October 1
Basic Admission Requirements: Documents compulsorily needed alongside the application form are listed below-
- Official academic transcripts.
- English language proficiency proof.
- Letters of recommendation.
- Statement of purpose.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae.
Northern Illinois University Cost of Attendance
Undergraduate Cost of Attendance based on full-time enrollment ( 12+ credit hours per semester):
|Room and Board||10,880|
|Books and Supplies||1,300|
Northern Illinois University Scholarships for International Students
- Financial assistance at Northern Illinois University is offered in the form of grants, loans, federal work-study and scholarships for international students to study in the USA. For grants and loans, students have to file a FAFSA.
- NIU Scholars Award is given for four years. The award money is 7,000 USD.
- Tuition rates, fees, room and board, and book stipend for four years are provided through Presidential Scholarship. The minimum academic requirements needed to get this award is SAT score 1450 and 3.75 cumulative GPA.
- Students whose parent/parents have graduated from NIU are given 1,000 USD in the first year of their graduation. All the students who apply to the university are automatically considered for this scholarship.
There are MyScholarships given to students. General application must be filled out for this purpose. Admitted students can apply for this scholarship. The General Application consists of the following components:
|Personal statement||Short statement about financial need|
|Two yes/no questions||List of activities/service/any employment|
|List of any honors/awards||-|
Depending on the chosen major, some schools will require the students to fill out a conditional application. Otherwise, students will be offered other various opportunities for scholarships
Merit scholarships are received by students who showcase excellence in academics. These scholarships are given out to students every year. After receiving this scholarship students must obtain a certain CGPA throughout the course to continue this scholarship.
Northern Illinois University Alumni Network
Alumni of Northern Illinois University get numerous exclusive benefits. Some benefits that NIU alumni get are as follows-
- The career services, including the web-based job referral system, ‘Huskies get Hired’ is accessible to alumni.
- NIU alumni get discounts on GEICO auto insurance.
- Get an exclusive 35% discount on your visit to Orlando.
- Alumni also get special rates while continuing education. Special discounts can be availed by them.
- While moving from a place to another, NIU alumni can get special rates from Ace Worldwide Moving and Storage Deals.
- Card carrying NIU alumni can avail up to 50% discount at hotels.
- Car rental companies such as Hertz, Avis and Alamo offer 25% discount.
- Sherwin David Harris- Actor
- Kurt Sutter- Screenwriter and Director
- Mary Kanellis- Professional wrestler
Northern Illinois University Placements
- University has its own career services that help students in career decision making, internship and job search planning, graduate school planning, interview skills preparation, mock interview, LinkedIn profile reviews, resume review, etc. It also arranges a career fair for the students.
- After 2 years of graduation, the median earnings of graduates is 36,800 USD per year, whereas, after 6 years of graduation, the median earnings is 45,500 USD.
- After 2 years of graduation, the employment rate is 94%, whereas, after 6 years of graduation, the employment rate is 92%.
- The average earnings of the graduates of the university are 45,500 USD per year, which’s 14% more than the national average earnings of the graduates.
The average salary of NIU graduates by Job (PayScale) are tabulated below:
|Mechanical Engineering||59,900 USD|
|General Psychology||28,000 USD|
|Computer Science||57,400 USD|
Northern Illinois University organizes its own career fair for students of various disciplines, such as Accountancy Career Fair, Diversity Reverse Career Fair, etc. The institute also conducts workshops on professionalization which include topics such as writing proposals, delivering conference proposals, preparing for the academic job market, etc.
Northern Illinois University FAQs
Ques. What is the tuition fee of Northern Illinois University programs?
Ans. The Tuition Fee is 9,464 USD per semester for a 12 credit hour course.
Ques. Is the SAT or ACT score required for admission to Northern Illinois University?
Ans. No, the University has a test-optional policy. Applicants may or may not choose to submit these scores.
Ques. What are the application deadlines for international students for admission to Northern Illinois University?
Ans. The application deadline is May 1 for the Spring semester and September 1 for the Fall Semester.
Ques. Is there a separate application form required for international students for admission to Northern Illinois University?
Ans. No, there’s no requirement for a separate application. Applicants can either apply through a Common Application or the NIU Application.
Ques. Is there conditional admission offered to international students at Northern Illinois University?
Ans. Yes, conditional admission is offered to international students who are required to fulfill the conditions mentioned within a specific time frame.
Ques. Are there early decision and early action options available for international students at Northern Illinois University?
Ans. No early decision and early action options are available for international students at Northern Illinois University.
Ques. What are the English language requirements for admission to Northern Illinois University?
Ans. The English language requirements are TOEFL ( internet-based) - 80; IELTS - 6.5; PTE - 53
Ques. What are the most popular programs offered at Northern Illinois University?
Ans. The most popular majors of 2019 graduates were Speech communication and Rhetoric; Psychology, General; Health/Medical Preparatory Programs, other; Mechanical Engineering; and Accounting.
FIND A PROGRAM
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
Application Portal : https://www.niu.edu/apply/index.shtml
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
I applied to several universities among which I got selected in a total of 3 universities but I decided to join here as it was among the top ranking universities in the USA. My GPA was 7. I had to submit an online application form costing around $100.
Course Curriculum :
The M.S. in Accounting offered me a broad base of knowledge about accounting and business theory and practice, tailored for students who wish to meet Illinois' 150-credit hour requirement to become a Certified Public Accountant. The curriculum is designed to meet the needs of students with or without undergraduate preparation in business or accounting.
Cost of education and location. the admission process was quick they got back to me within two weeks.
Course Curriculum :
Yes its adaptive. They changed the program to include new curriculum such as machine learning and AI
Northern Illinois University
Course Curriculum :
My political science program increased my knowledge and understanding of the ever-changing landscape of politics. I build upon my theoretical knowledge, leadership, and research skills while I specialized in American government, international relations, comparative politics, political theory, or public administration.
According to Businessweek and Poets & Quants NIU College of Business is one of the top business colleges in the States. I filled the NIU's online application form and made the payment of $40 through MasterCard and provided a copy of my passport and other documents.
Course Curriculum :
Operations and Information Management is a course that comprises of different aspects such as Business operations, Analytics, Logistics and technology.
My career counselor founded this college and suggested me to get admitted to this college. She analyzed me on the basis of previous academic performance and my interests. I paid $40 for the online application which I have made.
Course Curriculum :
Through our course curriculum, we are learning the skills to improve how businesses function. We'll learn how business operations, information systems, business analytics, logistics, and the use of technology impact an organization. With a solid understanding of how business processes and technologies work together, we'll be prepared for the challenges of a rapidly changing economy.
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary