College of Business, Northern Illinois University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Northern Illinois University’s College of Business has been accredited by AACSB International agency continuously since 1969. The college of business is among the nation's best in 2019 for 32 consecutive years according to the U.S. News and World Report 2019 Ranking. It has also ranked among the top public business programs in Illinois outside of the U of I system in the 2018 rankings. The college has maintained a SAP TERP10 exam pass rate of 89% which is far more than the national pass rate of 65%. It is also a partner of World Chicago since 2018 and a community member of SAP University Alliances since 2011.
U.S. News and World Report 2020
- #293-#381 in National Universities
- #200 in Top Performers on Social Mobility
Times Higher Education
- 401-500th U.S. Rankings 2020 (Northern Illinois University)
|Type of University||Public|
|Location||Barsema Hall, DeKalb, Illinois|
|Total no. of Academic programs||42 (including certificate and online)|
|Tuition Fees||Domestic : $26,000 (estimated for MBA)
International : $37,000 (estimated MBA)
|Cost of attendance||$29,190 (for 12 credit hours program)|
|Official test scores & transcripts||GMAT/GRE/GPA (as per requirement)|
|English Language Proficiency||IELTS/TOEFL/PTE|
|Admission Helpdesk||Email: firstname.lastname@example.org;
Phone: 815-753-0446 or 800-892-3050
|Enrollment of total students||15,755 (Spring 2019)|
|Total no. of International students||1,211|
|Student to faculty ratio||16:1|
- NIU’s College of Business has been situated in the Barsema Hall since fall 2002.
- The campus has a 144,000 square foot state-of-the-art facility.
- It also comprises a central gathering spot known as the Three Sons Bistro.
- The campus provides students with facilities like labs, printing facilities and full time technology support.
- More than 3500 students live in residence halls in NIU.
- Housing options include Gilbert Hall, Grant Towers, Neptune Hall, New Residence Hall, Northern View Community and Steven Towers with different facilities.
- Most residence halls have facilities like computer labs, laundry facility, vending machines, Wi-Fi connection, study lounge etc.
- The residence halls provide basic furniture in all rooms that include bed, mattress, closet, desk, chair, mini fridge, and dresser.
- NIU’s College of Business offers undergraduate, graduate degree and certificate programs.
- The College of Business has different departments that include: accountancy, finance, management, marketing, and operations management and information system.
- The evening MBA and EMBA programs of the college have been ranked in tier one according to a global MBA survey by CEO Magazine in 2018.
- It is also marked in the top 14% part-time MBA program and best among the nation’s five year programs.
International students seeking admissions at the College can follow the below-mentioned admission details:
- Application Portal: Online portal - NIU application
- Application Fee: 40 USD
- Application Deadline: Fall semester – May 1; Spring Semester – October 1
- Student Class profile:
Total enrollment – UG students: 2309, PG students: 634
- Standardized test scores of SAT / ACT are required for applying to Northern Illinois University. Applicants must ensure that the score reports are sent to the NIU International Admissions office from the testing companies. However, students who will apply for fall 2021 admissions will not have to submit these scores. (ACT code - #1102; SAT code - #1559)
- High school GPA – 2.75 GPA on 4.00, passing grades must be equivalent to the U.S. C+ average.
- English proficiency test scores – International students must take English proficiency tests and send their scores to the university from the testing center itself. The minimum requirements of these test scores are:
- Supporting Documents to be submitted with the admission application for evaluation include: UG applicants – high school diploma, proof of English proficiency, and proof of financial ability.
PG applicants – proof of degree, recommendation letters, statement of purpose in 750 words, test scores of GRE/ GMAT/ MAT, update CV/ resume, and English proficiency test scores TOEFL/ IELTS.
Cost of Attendance (h3)
Undergraduate Students -
|Expense||Estimated Costs 2020-2021|
|Room and Board||10,880 USD|
|Books and Supplies||1,300 USD|
|Personal Expenses||1,790 USD|
|Expense||Estimated Costs 2020-2021 (for 12 credit hours)|
|Room and Board||10,304 USD|
|Travel and Personal Expenses||2,744 USD|
|Student Health Insurance||2,078 USD|
Financial Aid for International Students
Financing education abroad can be challenging for international students. A regular student enrolled in a degree or a certificate program, with a valid Social Security Number (U.S. Resident) is eligible for financial aid at NIU.
International students aspiring to study at Northern Illinois University are ineligible for federal, state, or financial aid programs processed by the NIU Financial Aid and Scholarship Office.
Applying for financial aid programs in the US can be overwhelming due to their extensive application filing process. Here’s a brief list of research scholarship opportunities from private organizations both within the U.S. and India.
- American University Emerging global leader Scholarship
- Clark Global Scholarship Program
- United World Colleges International Youth Scholarships.
- Civil Society Leadership Award
- The Indian Trust Fellowship
- Stanford Reliance Dhirubhai Fellowships for Indian Students
- Fulbright-Nehru Research Fellowship
- Inlaks Scholarship
- NIU awards a range of scholarships, grants, loans and federal work study opportunities to help students finance their education.
- The Federal Work Study program allows students who maintain at least 2.0 GPAs and work for maximum of 20 hours per week. It is the responsibility of the student to look for employment.
- All students are considered for some merit based scholarships which include:
|Scholarship Name||Amount awarded|
|Presidential Scholarship||Tuition/ fees/ room and board/ books for 4 years|
|NIU Scholars Award||7000 USD per year for 4 years|
|Northern Academic Scholarship||4000 USD per year for 4 years|
|NIU Merit Award||3000 USD per year for 4 years|
- NIU alumni association members get several benefits from the University’s corporate partners which include: Geico Auto Insurance discount, savings on loan taken from Tom Lavallee, discount on a subscription to Crain’s Chicago Business, hotel and car rental discounts, NIU Alumni Visa card from First National Bank, Alumni insurance program, personal/ business loans, student loan financing from Credible, discount on professional programs, career services, license plate and even savings on Orlando vacation.
- Alumni of the College of Business who have been successful in their careers include: Olubukola Adeoti – Global Strategic Pricing Manager at Abbott, James Boge – Real Estate Project Manager at Jones Lang LaSalle, Taylor Brodhagen – Project Operations Manager at TouchPoint360, Cristina Pozo – Cash Manager at ArcelorMittal Treasury Americas, Niko Tsiagalis – Senior Produce Buyer at U.S. Foods and many others.
- The Businessweek has ranked the College of Business as no. 1 in terms of return on investment based on the salary of graduates per tuition dollar spent.
- NIU’s college of business maintains connections with more than 300 firms across Chicago which has great prospects for students.
- Professional development of students is taken care of by organizing firm events, intern events, and mock interviews, critique suggestions on resume, internship fairs and job fairs.
FIND A PROGRAM
Academy Ranking of World Universities
RANKED #301 - #400
According to Businessweek and Poets & Quants NIU College of Business is one of the top business colleges in the States. I filled the NIU's online application form and made the payment of $40 through MasterCard and provided a copy of my passport and other documents.
Course Curriculum :
Operations and Information Management is a course that comprises of different aspects such as Business operations, Analytics, Logistics and technology.
My career counselor founded this college and suggested me to get admitted to this college. She analyzed me on the basis of previous academic performance and my interests. I paid $40 for the online application which I have made.
Course Curriculum :
Through our course curriculum, we are learning the skills to improve how businesses function. We'll learn how business operations, information systems, business analytics, logistics, and the use of technology impact an organization. With a solid understanding of how business processes and technologies work together, we'll be prepared for the challenges of a rapidly changing economy.
Being a part of COB itself opens many doors of opportunities as it is one of the best schools for an MBA degree. I chose the college because of its rankings. I applied by creating a profile on the official website as it is the only way of applying for graduate programs at the university.
Course Curriculum :
My one-year MBA course is designed as per today's demand. In just 12 months of the course work in Hoffman Estates, I will be developing the communication skills and leadership abilities while working in teams to enhance collaborative learning and professional networking.
- Bus Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary