Mercyhurst University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Mercyhurst University is a distinguished American Catholic Liberal Arts University. The university located in Erie, Pennsylvania, was founded by Sisters of Mercy in 1926. Later in 2012, Mercyhurst was chartered as a four-year Liberal Arts University. The university also has two other campuses in addition to the main campus at Erie.
For the year 2019, the university witnessed enrollment of 3,400 students, with international students from 54 countries studying in the US. The university is ranked among the best regional universities and accredited to the Pennsylvania Department of Education, the Council on Social Work Education.
Mercyhurst University offers more than 59 undergraduate majors, 10 graduate degrees, and 12 graduate certificates in disciplines including Forensic Anthropology, Business Economics, Criminal Justice, Data Science, Forensic Science, Accountancy, Music, Management, Applied Behaviour Analysis, Human Resource Management, and Art Therapy.
Mercyhurst University Rankings
The university has been ranked
- #48 in Regional University North by the US News and World Report 2020 ranking.
- #26 in Best Colleges for Veteran by the US News and World Report 2020 ranking.
- #163 in Best Colleges for Design in America by the Niche 2020 ranking.
- #144 in Best Colleges for Criminal Justice in America by the Niche 2020 ranking.
- #501-600 among the universities in the US by the Times Higher Education 2020 ranking.
|Year of Establishment||1926|
|Test Scores Accepted||SAT/ACT/TOEFL/IELTS|
|Endowment||31.8 Million USD|
|Programs Offered||Undergraduate, Graduate and Associate Degree|
|Cost of Attendance||52,791 USD|
|Campus Housing Capacity||68%|
Mercyhurst University Campus
- Mercyhurst University has two campuses, the main campus at Erie, Pennsylvania and North East campus.
- The main campus is beautifully landscaped over 75-acre of land. The campus stands at the state's only port city and is approximately 100 miles from Cleveland, Ohio, New York.
- The main campus is built according to the English Gothic architecture.
- The university has on-campus accommodation facilities, rich libraries, modern classrooms, eateries, recreational & athletic facilities, and other amenities.
- The campus classrooms are spacious and small with an average classroom size of 20 students and a Student-to-faculty ratio of 13:1.
- The university runs 80 student clubs or organizations, which are responsible to organize various leisure activities, events for the students. The university also offers 24 varsity level sports.
Mercyhurst University Residence
- Mercyhurst University provides on-campus accommodation with 68% of the students living on campus. The housing is comfortable with all the modern facilities.
- All the residence halls have fully furnished rooms with all the basic amenities with a bed, dresser, desk, desk chair, wireless internet connection, laundry facilities, kitchen, and microwave on every floor.
- There are separate housing options for first-year students. Some of the freshman residence halls are:
|Residence Halls||Housing Capacity||Features|
|Baldwin Hall||160 Students||All female residence with single and double occupancy rooms, large lounge at entrance, semi-private bathrooms|
|McAuley Hall||140 Students||All male residence with single and double occupancy furnished rooms, communal bathrooms|
|Warde Hall||360 Students||Male and female residence with triple occupancy furnished rooms and limited double occupancy rooms.|
- Students can also opt for upperclassmen housing that offers sophomores, juniors and seniors the option to live together.
Mercyhurst University Programs
- Programs at Mercyhurst College are available in undergraduate, graduate, associate, and certificate format. The programs are offered according to the semester-based academic calendar.
- The university offers more than 59 undergraduate majors, 10 graduate degrees, and 12 graduate certificates in a wide range of disciplines.
- The university runs 4 colleges, namely:
- Hafenmaier College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences
- Ridge College of Intelligence Studies of Applied Sciences
- Walker College of Business
- Zurn College of Natural and Health Sciences
- The popular areas of study offered by the university are Forensic Anthropology, Business Economics, Criminal Justice, Data Science, Forensic Science, Accountancy, Music, Management, Applied Behaviour Analysis, Human Resource Management, and Art Therapy.
Mercyhurst University Application Process
You must consider the following important points before applying for admission to Mercyhurst University:
Application Portal: Applicants can apply online through Mercyhurst Application or Common Application available at the university's official website.
Application Fees: There is no application fee for Mercyhurst University.
Application Deadlines: The university offers admission on a rolling basis, hence there are no specific deadlines for admission.
Required Documents: Following documents are required for the application process.
- A completed application
- Official transcripts or high school records, diplomas, and certificates from previous institutions.
- Biographical,academic, and extracurricular information
- Standardized Test Scores i.e. SAT/ACT scores
- Letter of Recommendation
- Personal Statement or Writing Sample
- English language proficiency
- Proof of financial availability
- Valid student Visa
- A valid copy passport
English Language Proficiency: Applicants with a native language other than English need to prove their proficiency by providing scores of TOEFL, IELTS test.
Mercyhurst University Cost of Attendance
- It is recommended that international students get an estimate of expenses for studying in the US well beforehand.
- The estimated cost of attendance depends on several factors like the program applied for, tuition fees, books and supplies, housing, dining, transportation, etc.
- Estimated Cost of Attendance at Mercyhurst University for academic session 2020-21:
|Expense||Cost for International Students|
|Basic Tuition||38,580 USD|
|Standard Fees||2,770 USD|
|Room and Board||12,500 USD - 15,000 USD|
|Orientation, ID card fees||310 USD|
Mercyhurst University Financial Aids
- The university provides financial support in the form of scholarships, grants, and awards.
- The university offers financial assistance to approximately 99% of the students and offered an average four-year scholarship of 70,000 USD.
- Students can also avail funds to study in the US through their home country, Federal grants, and external resources.
- Merit-based scholarships are available for International Students. Some of the scholarships available at Mercyhurst University are:
|Sr. Carolyn Herrmann Scholarships||20,000||High school GPA, SAT or ACT scores, class rank, and high school coursework are evaluated. This scholarship is renewable for four years of study.|
|Alumni Legacy Scholarships||1,000||Awarded to applicants who are dependents of a Mercyhurst alumnus or alumna.|
|Erie Diocese and Sisters of Mercy Heritage Awards||1,000||Awarded to students enrolling from a Catholic high school or Mercy-sponsored, co-sponsored, or affiliated high school.|
Mercyhurst University Alumni
- Mercyhurst University has a worldwide network of alumni that consists of former students and graduates of the university.
- Some Notable Alumni are:
- John Deagy (Politician)
- Anthony Maher (Professional Soccer Player)
- Buster Douglas (American Former Professional Boxer)
- David Lough (American Former Professional Baseball Outfielder)
Mercyhurst University Placements
- Mercyhurst University runs the Career Development Center, a collaborative workplace, career management system, which offers career-oriented services for students and helps with resume, interview, and job search.
- Some of the services and programs offered by the Career Development Center are:
- The major and minor fairs
- "How to Register" Workshops
- Web Advisor Workshops
- The university offers various internships and on-the-job work experience, also effectively plans student employment.
- Approximately 95% of the graduate students are placed or enrolled in graduate schools within a year of graduation.
Find a Program
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
I got to know about this college from my relatives who live there. I also applied to two more colleges other than this. It was easy to apply for admission through online mode. They had their official website for the admission procedure. There was no application fee.
Course Curriculum :
My program was well organized and planned. There were many pieces of training involved in my program. I learned various skills such as problem solving, understanding, and cooperation. My communication skills also get enhanced a lot.
I opted for this university because it was suggested by my elder sister who also studies there. I liked all the facilities offered by the university very much. The admission process was online and was filled by me through the official website of the university.I had not paid any kind of application fee.
Course Curriculum :
The course was designed in a very good way. It had provided me theoretical and practical knowledge of psychology. I had learned to conduct various research. University had a special lab for conducting psychological research, while pursuing my program I got the opportunity to participate in various seminars and conferences.
My reason for the selection was because it is one of the premier universities of Pennsylvania that offers a diverse range of different courses. After completing my high school here in India it was one of my choices among 3 other universities but finally confirmed it looking at the success of the alumni and reviews of some students studying there. I applied through the online application with no additional charge.
Course Curriculum :
As a freshman, the curriculum included Introduction to mercyhurst , research and writing , introduction to psychology ,foundation of public health and a global perspective through yoga .on advancing on the curriculum it becomes more rigorous and focuses on the subject in great detail . During the end of the course practical skills are given a lot of importance.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
- Super Market
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary