Northern Arizona University 2021-2022 Admissions: Acceptance Rate, Requirements, Deadlines, Application Process
The Northern Arizona University grants admission to three-quarters of its applicants, showing a 5% increase since last year's admissions. Fall 2019 admissions at Northern Arizona University saw a total enrolment of 30,736 students. Northern Arizona University is very lightly selective with an acceptance rate of 82.6% and the GPA requirement is from candidates expected to be above 2.5.
The university provides many subject options for different undergraduate and graduate programs. It has options for both degree as well as certificate courses available. About 26,000 students are enrolled in some kind of undergraduate course.
NAU has 95 undergraduate programs and 76 graduate degree programs. It provides over 30 certificate courses in each undergraduate and graduate. Top preferred academic programs include biomedical science, criminology, nursing, elementary education and biology.
- The average SAT score between 940-1160 or an average ACT score of 20-25.
- The regular admissions application deadline for Northern Arizona is rolling.
- It does not offer early decision applications for the applicants.
- Some (graduate) programs only admit students for Fall.
- International applicants can apply by creating a student log in on the official site.
- GPA and Official transcripts are very important for admission to the university.
96% of first-year students receive financial aid, so applicants can easily opt for Northern Arizona University awards scholarships based on academic merit, financial need and personal background.
|Application Portal||Official site - Student Login
|Application Fee||50 USD (Non-Refundable)|
|Mode Of Payment||Online|
|GPA||Min - 3.0|
|Letter of Recommendation||Required for graduate courses|
|Statement of Intent||Required for some courses|
|Academic Calendar||Semester wise|
|Intake Sessions||Fall, Spring, Summer|
|Financial Aid||96% of freshmen receive scholarships (based on academic merit, financial need, and personal background)|
|International Admissions||NAU International Admissions|
The application deadlines may vary for some courses.
|Undergraduate||Mar 1||September 15||Mar 1|
|Graduate||Mar 1||Vary course wise||–|
Note: Applications are accepted past these deadlines for undergraduate programs.
Northern Arizona University International Admissions
Every year NAU accepts a number of international students who seek options for high quality higher education in the US. To be considered for admission to Northern Arizona University, international applicants must submit the:
- Complete the online application and pay the 50 USD application fee.
- Submit your copy of Passport.
- Upload official transcripts for ALL secondary (high school) and university education, as well as any vocational or ESL grades.
- All transcripts/mark sheets must be submitted in English.
- A minimum of a 2.5 GPA for first-year and transfer students.
- If you want to earn a degree or take classes online, please note that immigration paperwork for F-1 and J-1 students will be issued only for: Flagstaff Mountain campus.
- Non-Degree Admissions: if you only want to take classes part-time at Northern Arizona University; please note that no immigration paperwork will be issued.
English Language requirements for International Students
Note: If applicants do not meet Northern Arizona University’s English proficiency requirement, applicants are required to do either of the following:
- Take the English Level Placement Test upon arriving.
- Enroll in Northern Arizona University’s Program in Intensive English.
If offered admission by Northern Arizona University, an international student will be required to obtain an F-1 or J-1 student visa from their home government. To obtain this visa, following items need to be presented before a US consulate:
- A Form I-20 or DS-2019 issued by NAU
- Admission letter
- A valid passport
- Receipt of the SEVIS fee form payment
- Evidence of financial support that was mentioned on your Certificate of Eligibility
Northern Arizona University Undergraduate Admissions
A number of undergraduate degrees as well as certificate courses are offered by Northern Arizona University. Application requirements for these courses are discussed under.
Apply: Official site - Student Login
Application Fee: 50 USD (Non-Refundable)
- Complete the online application and pay the 50 USD application fee.
- Official transcripts
- You were home-schooled: Provide a transcript of high school coursework. Submit ACT/SAT scores for scholarship consideration.
Minimum high school course requirements include:
- 4 Years of high school English (composition/literacy-based)
- One transferable three-credit college English Composition course.
- 4 years of high school math courses (one year each of Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and an advanced class for which Algebra II which is a prerequisite)
- One transferable three-credit college math course for which at least intermediate algebra is a prerequisite.
- Social Science:
- History/Social Studies
- One year high school American History
- SAT II: 560+ American History/Social Studies score
- One transferable three-credit college American History course
- Social Science
- One year of high school social science (such as European history, world history, economics, sociology, geography, government, psychology or anthropology)
- SAT II: 580+ world history score
- One transferable three-credit college social science course
Standardized Test Requirements
English: SAT: 580+ Critical Reading score
Mathematics: SAT: 570+ math score
- Proof of financial support and complete the financial guarantee for the total amount of fees and expenses for bachelor’s degree students for the academic year. This document is required for the SEVIS form I-20, the immigration form you will need to apply for a student visa.
Northern Arizona University Graduate Applications
International students make up about 4% of the total graduate student population at Northern Arizona University. A number of master's programs are offered here at NAU, for which the procedure is pretty simple. There are 125 NAU graduate degrees and certificate programs to choose from for the applicants.
- International applicants must have earned a minimum GPA of 3.0 for their bachelor’s degree to be considered for admission.
- Official transcripts will be required upon admittance to your graduate program for GPA and degree conferral verification, these should be sent directly to the university by the issuing authority.
Northern Arizona University Popular Graduate Courses
|Course||Application Deadline||Application Fee||Academic Requirements||Minimum English Language Proficiency|
|Master’s in Computer Information Technology||Mar 1||65 USD||Undergraduate degree; Official transcripts; Three references - (Professional); Personal statement or essay ; Resume or curriculum vitae||TOEFLMin - 70 iBT
IELTS Min - 6.0
|MA Public Administration||Fall: April 15
Spring: January 15
|65 USD||GPA 3.0, Transcripts, Three LORs, Writing Sample, Personal statement or essay, Resume||TOEFL/IELTS|
|M.S. Engineering||Spring: Oct 1
Fall: March 1
|65 USD||Official transcripts; Statement of purpose; Curriculum Vitae; Three letters of recommendation; GRE scores||TOEFL Min - 80
IELTS Min - 6.5
|MA English Literature||Spring: October 1
Fall: February 1
|65 USD||GPA 3.0, Transcripts, Two LORs, Writing Sample, Personal statement or essay, Resume||TOEFL/IELTS|
Financial Aid – Graduate students may be eligible for additional financial aid and scholarships. Please check Graduate College’s scholarship program for further information.
Note: Online courses are available for both undergraduate and graduate courses.
The university is widely recognized as a quality-research institution. It has built a reputation for scientific discovery and the invention of new technologies over the years. A lot of sustainability programs also keep taking place campus-wide and students are provided with resources to encourage the entire university community to get involved with efforts.
Ques.Do I need SAT or ACT scores while applying for admission at Northern Arizona University?
Ans. No, SAT or ACT scores are not required for admission but candidates need to submit SAT/ACT scores for scholarship eligibility.
Ques.What are the popular programs chosen by international students at Northern Arizona University?
Ans. Most programs chosen by international students at Northern Arizona University include Business Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services, Health Professions and Related Programs, Education, Liberal Arts and Sciences, General Studies and Humanities; and Social Sciences.
Ques.Is it hard to get into Northern Arizona University?
Ans. No, with the acceptance rate of 83%, applicants meeting the general admission requirement and an above average GPA can easily get into Northern Arizona University.
Ques.What are the admission intake seasons at Northern Arizona University?
Ans. Northern Arizona University follows a semester based academic pattern and enrols students during fall, spring and summer months for admission.
Ques.Are international applicants eligible for scholarships/awards/grants at Northern Arizona University?
Ans. Yes, international applicants are eligible for scholarships/awards/grants at Northern Arizona University and the university also offers merit-based tuition waiver to eligible candidates.
Ques.Does the acceptance letter have an expiration date
Ans. Yes, candidates are expected to report on campus before the enrolment confirmation deadline or else admission can be rejected.
Ques.Are there any competitive exams required while getting admission at Northern Arizona University?
Ans. No, there are standard admission requirements for all the programs/courses.
Ques.Can I apply for a dual degree program from Northern Arizona University?
Ans. Yes, Northern Arizona University does offer dual degree programs.