Sam Houston State University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Sam Houston State University, a 140-year-old university is a coveted name in the US Education System that aims to provide quality education. In the view of providing such quality education, the student: faculty ratio of the institute stands as 24: 1.
The institute offers a plethora of undergraduate and graduate courses for its aspirants around the globe and has the 7th best online certification course in the nation. The University also claims to have the Safest Campus in Texas and the 28th Safest in the Nation which makes it all the more fascinating when looking to study in the USA.
Admissions at Sam Houston State University are offered on a rolling basis and students are recommended to apply 90 days prior to the start of term they are hoping to enroll in. The institute charges a non-refundable fee of 75 USD from its aspirants for the same. It is one of the lightly selective institutes in the US and observes an acceptance rate of around 79%.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, SHSU has established plans to reduce student density on campus, increase social distancing measures, and transition to a blended/hybrid format of learning.
Sam Houston State University Rankings
Sam Houston State University maintained its position and showed a bit of growth in the national ranking, according to THE ranking. As per many agencies, it ranked among the top 500 universities in the U.S. University also secured in the varied ranking list. Some are mentioned below:
Sam Houston State University: National rankings
University is well known nationally for its academic, overall value, quality, and diversity. It made it in many ranking lists on the national level. Some are mentioned below:
|U.S. News & Report||National Universities||272nd|
|Washington Monthly||National Universities||173rd|
|Times Higher Education||US Rankings||501-600th|
Sam Houston State University: Subject-wise rankings
Some subjects of the university made it in the ranking lists. Some are mentioned below:
|Subject||U.S. News rank|
|Public Affairs programs||187th ( Best Public Affairs programs)|
|Endowment||97.5 million USD|
|Student Retention Rate||77%|
|Mode of Program||Full time; Part-time; online|
|Campus Housing Capacity||21%|
|Annual cost of Attendance||36,381 USD|
|Admission Helpdeskemail@example.com | 936 294-1828|
Sam Houston State University Campus
- Founded in 1879, The Sam Houston State University in Texas has prepared uncountable aspirants in achieving a life less ordinary.
- The University hosts 2 campuses- Huntsville and The Woodlands in Texas.
- The 316-acre large campus serves as the best place to be for the students to find their area of interest.
- With more than 250 student clubs and organizations to be involved in, boredom is surely not an option on the campus for the freshmen.
- Be a part of The Culture for Diversity and Intercultural Affairs which celebrates the campus diversity among the students.
Housing Facilities at Sam Houston
- Sam Houston State University lets its students choose from a wide range of residential options such as residence halls, small houses and apartments.
- The University provides a total of 9 resident halls, 12 small houses and an apartment to choose from.
- An inaugural fee of 200 USD is to be submitted by the candidate along with his/her application form towards the registration of on-campus living.
- All housing facilities are well equipped with high-speed Wi-Fi facilities.
- The University strictly follows a policy of No Smoking; hence no such activities are promoted on the campus.
Sam Houston State University Programs
- The University has currently enrolled 21,000 active students across its two main campuses.
- The institute offers an array of diverse courses for international students which includes over 170 courses offered by the 7 schools affiliated from Sam Houston State University.
- With 80+ undergraduate, 50+ graduate, 10 doctoral, and 35+ online courses to choose from, the University is growing rapidly to offer quality education.
- The Continuing College department offers non-college credit courses to help learners fulfill professional and personal needs.
- Exchange and study abroad programs are also available.
- The Military Science (ROTC) program, honors college and the Texas Research Institute for Environmental Studies facility are additional offerings of SHSU.
- Sam Houston State University has opened the following schools:
- Business Administration
- Criminal Justice
- Fine Arts and Mass Communication
- Health Sciences
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Science and Engineering Technology
Top Programs in Sam Houston State University
|M.Sc Computing and Information Science||$38,174|
|M.Sc Project Management||$38,174|
Sam Houston State University Application Process
- Application Portal Students can find the application form on the online portal of ApplyTexas.org Application (International).
- Application Fee: Non-refundable $75 (Fall 20, Spring, and Summer 21) and $90 (Fall 21 and after).
- Deadline: Fall semester- August 1, Spring semester- September 1, Summer semester- May 15
- SHSU has an acceptance rate of 79% and a retention rate of 77%. The overall graduation rate is 54%.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED (Undergraduate Admissions)- Following documents shall be submitted by the applicant at the time of admission:
- Official transcript of the High School and the School/College (if attended) in a sealed envelope.
- If original documents are not in English then a translated copy of the documents shall be attached and delivered carefully.
- Scorecard of the English Proficiency Test taken. Following Tests are accepted:
- TOEFL: 79 iBT
- IELTS: 6.5 or higher
- SAT/ACT scorecard of the applicant must also be attached along with the required documents (SAT code: 6643, ACT code: 4162).
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED (Graduate Admissions)- Following documents shall be submitted by the applicant at the time of admission:
- Internships (if required)
- References (if applicable)
- Application supplement (if applicable)
- Portfolio/writing samples (if applicable)
- Application questionnaire/form (if applicable)
- Personal essay/statement of intent (if applicable)
- Letter of Recommendation (if applicable)
- Graduate Record Examination test scores (if applicable)
- Interview/audition (if applicable)
- Statement of Support from employer (if applicable)
- Work experience (if applicable)
- Prerequisite coursework (if applicable)
- Resume (if applicable)
- GRE/ Miller’s Analogy scores (if applicable)
- Official GMAT score (at least 500)
- English proficiency test scores (TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition- 79, IELTS- 6.5, Duolingo- 105)
- ACT test scores (evidence-based reading/ writing & math)
- SAT test scores
- Third-party transcript translation and evaluation (NACES member agencies or SDR Educational Consultants)
- All undergraduate degree/college official transcripts including final GPA, date of graduation and graduation plan
Sam Houston State University Cost of Attendance
An estimated budget for international students looking to study in the US is as mentioned below.
|EXPENDITURE||COST/SEMESTER (in USD)|
|Tuition Fee (Undergraduate)||9,332|
|Tuition Fee (Graduate)||10,199|
|Books and Supplies||500|
|Parking Plan (one year)||198|
Scholarships/ Financial Aid for International Students
- A number of grants, loans, and scholarships for international students to study in the USA are sanctioned every year by Sam Houston State University.
- The most popular scholarships contested are:
- Name: Terry Foundation Scholarship
Amount Awarded: Need-Based Grant
- Name: Bearkat Scholarship
Amount Awarded: 3,000 USD
- Name: Smith-Hutson Scholarship
Amount Awarded: 18,500 USD
Sam Houston State University Alumni Network
More than 21,500 people call Sam Houston State University as their second home. ‘HERITAGE’ is the annual alumni magazine which is run by the Alumni Association of Sam Houston State University.
NOTABLE ALUMNI: Billy Gunn (Professional Wrestler), Katie Ross Clarke (Actress), Marcus Luttrell (U.S Navy Seal).
Sam Houston State University Placement
- Sam Houston State University provides excellent career guidance to the graduating batches each year through their career services.
- The university’s Handshake program aids graduating students in getting placed.
- Career days and fairs are held to bridge the gap between employers and students.
- The resume making guide and critiquing services offered by SHSU are helpful for first-time job applicants.
- SHSU’s corporate sponsors for the year 2019-20 were Fastenal, Global Shop Solutions, Buckeye, Walgreens and McCoy’s Building Supplies.
- One-third of internships provided by some of SHSU’s programs directly led to jobs in the assigned agencies, while others gained contacts to help start careers in their chosen fields.
- Median earnings of SHSU graduates 2 years after graduation is $37,400/ year.
- 93% of the graduates are employed by 2 years after graduation.
|Majors||Av. salary of graduates|
|Criminal Justice & Corrections||33,00USD|
|Other multi/interdisciplinary studies||45,00USD|
Ques. What is the English requirement for admission at Sam Houston State University?
Ans. The English requirement for admission is
• TOEFL - 79iBT
• IELTS - 6.5
• Duolingo - 105
Ques. What is the tuition and fee for international students at Sam Houston State University?
Ans. The tuition and fees for international students are 23,026USD.
Ques. Is it hard to get into SHSU?
Ans. The university is a bit selective with an acceptance rate of 83%.
Ques. Is Sam Houston State University accepting common application?
Ans. Yes, University accepts common applications.
Ques. Is an admission interview required at SHSU?
Ans. No, an admission interview is not required.
Ques. What is the minimum GPA required for admission to Sam Houston State University?
Ans. The minimum GPA required for admission is 3.25.
Ques. Are SAT or ACT scores required for admission to SHSU?
Ans. No, SAT or ACT is optional for 2021.
Ques. How can I know more information about international student admission at Sam Houston State University?
Ans. International student contact Dana Van De Walker International Student Recruiter and Programs Coordinator (936) 294-2746 firstname.lastname@example.org
Ques. What is the application deadline for international students at Sam Houston State University?
Ans. The application deadline for international students is Aug. 1.
Ques. What is the application fee at SHSU?
Ans. The application fee is 45USD.
Find a Program
Application Portal :https://www.shsu.edu/admissions/apply-texas.html
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
I always wanted to study in the USA for better opportunities and I had researched about this University a lot. To get admission I had filled a common application form and $45 was also charged form me as application fee. They also considered my GPA of 9.2 in 12th standard.
Course Curriculum :
The course helped me think critically, creatively, and independently. It helped me gain all the skills important for my career growth plus intensive practice was also provided. The curriculum helped me excel in the field.
My cousin who lived in the USA had recommended me to take admission in this college. My high school score of 8.7 GPA made the admission process easier. I had to submit a common application form on its website and also paid an application fee of $45 for it.
Course Curriculum :
The course provided me with advanced production and post-production skills and the knowledge to prepare for a career in the film-making industry. The curriculum helped me with all the opportunities to participate in hands-on study programs to get deeper knowledge.
I was looking for a program that would act as the pathway for cracking the CPA exam and my college fitted the bill perfectly. The admission is done via the college's official portal and required me to pay $45 as an application fee. I was particularly asked to get all my transcripts evaluated from a NACES accredited service.
Course Curriculum :
My curriculum was centered around the technical competencies associated with the Accounting profession. Some of these competencies are risk assessment, analysis and management; measurement analysis and interpretation, and reporting. Research, System, and Process Management is given importance throughout the course.
I decided to go to Sam Houston State University for various reasons. One reason was cost because the tuition price is fairly low. Another reason was the location. The school is located in Texas and I am from Texas, so it made sense to go there.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum is challenging but doable. It is different for each class, but it is able to be done and to be done well. I have managed to do well in my courses thus far and have been able to make the deans list.
- Book Store
- Super Market
- Bus Station
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary