University of Memphis: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Founded in 1912, the University of Memphis (also known as UofM) is a center of several cutting-edge research boasting 25 Chairs of Excellence and five state-approved Centers of Excellence. The university is located in a serene and conducive residential neighborhood of Memphis, Tennessee, and home to over 21,000 students from all over the world bounded by the spirit of Unity in diversity. The school not only welcomes international students of all backgrounds but also ensure that they have an awesome experience in the institution.
The University of Memphis is one of Tennessee's three comprehensive doctoral-extensive institutions of higher learning in the USA. It awards more than 3,000 degrees annually through an extensive range of programs.
University of Memphis Ranking
- Ranked #501 – 600 in 2020 United States University Ranking by Times Higher Education Ranking
- Ranked #101 – 150 by QS World University Ranking by subject in Philosophy
- Ranking #31 by U.S. News in the list of Best Online Master's in Nursing Programs Offering Nursing Education
- Ranked #13 by U.S. News in Online Colleges in Tennessee offering online Graduate programs in Criminal Justice, Bachelor and Graduate program in Nursing, Graduate Program in Education and MBA.
- Ranked #135 by U.S. News in the list of Best Nursing Schools offering masters’ degree in Nursing in the United States of America.
|Endowment||199 million USD|
|Student Retention Rate||70%|
|Mode of Program||Full time; Part-time; online|
|Campus Housing Capacity||14%|
|Annual cost of Attendance||33,831 USD|
|English Language Tests accepted||IELTS and TOEFL|
University of Memphis Campus
The school operates on three different campuses called the main campus and Lambuth campus and South Campus on Park Avenue. The main campus of the University is situated in a beautiful park-like setting in the state's largest city- Memphis; it is the flagship of the Tennessee Board of Regents system.
- The university campus houses facilities such as Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium, FedEx professional development, community engagement, transformational relationships, and pForum, FedEx Park, Elma Roane Fieldhouse, Different sports complex, Libraries, Laboratories, Medical Center, Research Complex
- The school is an athletic hub with vibrant athletic teams and over 400 talented student-athletes competing in 19 different intercollegiate sports.
- Student Leadership & Involvement programs exist in the University and students are encouraged to take an active role in these organizations’ activities that promote personal andositive social.
- Student Leadership & Involvement is organized into three areas that support different programs, organizations, and opportunities.
- Student Engagement consisting of Registered Student Organizations, Fraternity & Sorority Affairs, Student Activities Council, Tiger Zone, Student Event Allocation.
- Leadership & Service consisting of Leadership Conferences & Workshops, Emerging Leaders Scholarship Program, Leader to Leader, Civic Engagement Board, Alternative Break Trips, Service on Saturday
- Community Engagement & Campus Partnerships: Frosh Camp & Frosh Fusion, Sophomore Initiatives, Social Justice Programs, Tiger Spirit Initiatives, and Professional Development Programs.
University of Memphis Residence
The University of Memphis offers nine different living communities across its three campuses. The table below presents the basic facts about the different residential apartments available in UofM.
|Apartment||Capacity||Floors||Floor Plan||Rates per semester|
|Centennial Place||780 students (Men and women)||Five||Single and Double occupancy rooms||3,010 USD- 3,700 USD|
|LLC||496 Students (Men and Women)||Four||Single and double rooms and Living-learning communities||2,930 USD - 3,350 USD|
|Rawls Hall||304 students (women only)||Six||Single and double rooms||2,330 USD - 3,330 USD|
|Smith Hall||156 students (women only)||Three||Single and double rooms||2,330 USD - 3,330 USD|
|South Hall||166 students (men only)||Three||Double rooms||2,670 USD|
|Carpenter Complex||469 students (Men and women)||Varies||Bedroom apartments and Townhouses||3,700 USD|
|Carney-Johnston||190 students (Men and women)||Three||Single room and Two Room Suites||1,365 USD - 2,100 USD|
|Park Avenue Apartments & Townhomes||210 students (Men and women)||Varies||Two-Bedroom flats and Two-Bedroom townhouses||2,690 USD to 2,950 USD|
- Most of the apartments in all three campuses have: Internet/Wi-Fi, Adjustable in-room thermostat, Free 24/7 laundry, Collaboration spaces, and study rooms, Full community kitchenette with ice machine, stove/oven, microwave, Card/key access, Vending machines, Covered porch, Game room with pool and foosball tables, etc
- The south campus also has a Graduate and Student Family Housing is a residential apartment open to students, spouses and students' children, parents and/or students, and many are working full or part-time jobs at 3,850 USD - 4,440 USD per semester.
- To apply for housing, students need to have submitted an application for admission to the school and received a banner ID. With the banner ID, students can log into the school portal, then carry out the following steps to apply:
- Choose Residential Hall
- Choose a Meal plan (optional)
- Read and agree to the Housing policies
- Submit Housing Application with 45 USD application fee
- There is no deadline to apply for housing
If suitable, you can also look for various off-campus accommodation options available in the USA.
University of Memphis Programs
Top Programs at University of Memphis
|Programs||Fees Per Annum|
|MSc Computer Science||$29,568|
|MSc Information Systems||$29,568|
|MSc Mechanical Engineering||$29,568|
- There are over 155 undergraduate courses across the 14 colleges and schools in the University of Memphis. These programs are available as major, minor, concentration or dual degrees depending on the faculty curriculum, manpower and the facilities available.
- The institution also offers 137 master's programs, 53 doctorate programs, one education specialist program, 20 accelerated programs, five dual degrees, 51 graduate certificates, and three post master's certificates.
- As a global institution, 100% online program is available for professionals, working-class, Parents and those who want to advance their careers but can not make it to the University of Memphis for physical classes.
- These online programs are distributed across 60 departments popular amongst them are MBA, Nursing, Criminal Justice, Education, Psychology, Sport’s Management, Public Health, etc.
University of Memphis Application Process
The institution welcomes students from all over the world; with 84 foreign countries currently represented in the student body. The school is regarded as a one-stop institution for international students.
- Application Portal: Admission Application for all programs both online and offline admission for fall, spring, or summer resumption period is through the
- Application Deadline: The deadlines for applying are:
- May 1 for fall
- September 15 for spring
- February 1 for summer,
- Applicants are advised to apply for admission at the University of Memphis early with a non-refundable fee of 50 USD for undergraduate program and 60 USD for graduate programs.
- For admission to a graduate degree program, international applicants are advised to allow at least four months for necessary documents to be processed by the appropriate degree program and the Graduate Admissions office.
- In addition to the online application, the following documents are required for admission consideration
- Duly completed Affidavit of Support Form downloaded from the school website
- Official Transcript
- ACT or SAT scores for admission into undergraduate programs and GRE scores for graduate programs.
- English Language Test score of 6 for IELTS, 61 for TOEFL iBT and 500 for TOEFL PBT for undergraduate programs while graduate programs required scores are 6 for IELTS, 79 for TOEFL iBT and 550 for TOEFL PBT
- Affidavit of Support and Financial Statement
- Health Record
- After all, documents are received and the application has been processed, applicants will be notified of the admission decision in 12 working days to six weeks.
- The institution is known to have an admission acceptance rate of 84%
- A 250 USD seat deposit is required of all accepted students into law programs regardless of residency.
University of Memphis Cost of Attendance
The cost of attendance at the University of Memphis is presented in the table below. These fees, however, are subject to change
|Fees (USD)||Undergraduates (USD)||Graduates (USD)|
|Tuition Fee||733 – 12,768||981 – 24,008|
|Course Fee||25 – 1,400||25 – 3,000|
|Material Fee||20 – 275||20 – 275|
|Books and Supplies||1,600 – 1,995||1,575 – 1,995|
|Housing||1,365 – 9,962||1,365 – 9,962|
|Meal Plan||790 – 5650||790 – 5,650|
|Total||9,232 – 36,749||10,715 – 50,849|
Note: Online Courses, also known as Global Courses, are charged 463 USD - 647 USD/ credit hour
University of Memphis Scholarships and Financial Aid
There are limited scholarships available to international students.
- Some available scholarships are performance-based.
- Some of the scholarships available to students are:
- Dr. Paul E Fitzgerald, Jr Memorial Scholarship with a minimum worth of 500 USD per annum
- Herff Merit Scholarship worth 3,000 USD to 5,000 USD per annum
- Balanced Man Scholarship (worth varies)
- Wanda Richardson Memorial Scholarship worth 1,000 USD
- Students can also earn scholarships via involvement, commitment, and dedication to athletic activities, community service and voluntary work in the school community.
University of Memphis Alumni
- The vibrancy of the student body lives on through the alumni network where different activities, events, trips, and meetups are organized.
- The alumni network also operates an app where members can log in to check the news, upcoming events, and stay alive with events happening in the school environment.
- Each registered member of the alumni network is entitled to the alumni T-shirt, magazine and other entitlements.
- Notable alumni of the institution are :
- Robert N. Clement – former U.S. Congressman
- J. Millard Smith – former President of the University of Memphis
- R. Brad Martin – Chairman of the Board/CEO, Saks Incorporated
- J. Karen Thomas – actress
University of Memphis Placement
- In other to adequately prepare students for life after school, and to help students find suitable employment after graduation, the institution organizes:
- UofM Career Guide
- Mentorship platform
- Career Coaching
- Resume and Cover Letter
- Tips on Job Search
- The Alumni Network collaborates with the school authority to organize networking events like Tigers Hire Tigers to enable students to build a robust network for placement after graduation.
- According to, the average salary for the University of Memphis graduates is 66,000 USD with a median salary of 47,200 USD after five years of graduation and 85,800 USD after ten years.
Find a Program
Application Portal :https://www.memphis.edu/admissions/freshmen/apply_ugrd.php
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
Ranked #801 - #1000
Ranked #501 - #600
Ranked #501 - #600
Computer Science (International)
Ranked #501 - #600
Ranked #301 - #400
View More >>
I choose this university because it has a good background for research work and management skill.
Course Curriculum :
I don't say all courses are required for the particular department but most of them. There were 1 or 2 courses which are not required for that department to work on. Instead we can have different courses which are required for the department or which could be useful for students in the future.
I want to run my family business in larger scale and hence after completing a bachelors degree in economics I shifted out of India To widen my perspective. while searching for the colleges I found this college appropriate for me to study masters the college application fee costed me around $25 back in India I was graduated from DU in the same field with distinction
Course Curriculum :
Till now I have seen the extent of my knowledge and appreciation for analytical and systematic of principles that work in an economy this college is giving me a diverse point of you that indeed needs with great and wonderful in the terms of curriculum
My ambition was to become a well known editor so I decided to come abroad and study with wider perspective and better. While searching for college I found this one in a state where my relatives were living. I filled forms of a few more colleges here and in India. The application fee costed me around $20 in this college.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum is very nice I have been studying literature and the basics of grammar which was not very significantly taught so it was a new experience for me .
I always wanted to study abroad. So I took my time doing the research on colleges that had a good ranking, a good acceptance rate and provided financial assistance to their students. This one was a public university and well under my budget. So I applied here and paid $25 as an application fee.
Course Curriculum :
Our curriculum was perfectly designed to make us successful in a calculated and practical way. Calculus, Trigonometry, Applied Algebra, Statistics and Probability were some of my subjects which I studied.
Tuition cost was least even though still have loans. Other schools in the area were too expensive. Cost per hour was cheapest here. Other places were 1k it more. I don't appreciate these costs. Public colleges should be free.
Course Curriculum :
The curriculum is hard and unfair when it comes to grading. GPA scheme is unfair. Fail rate is high for several classes. The administration doesn't care. I don't believe this course is helping me in the future.
- Shopping Mall
- Book Store
- Super Market
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary