Naval Postgraduate School: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Located in Monterey, California, Naval Postgraduate School is a public graduate school founded in the year 1909. Accredited by the Senior Commission of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), the institute is a prestigious organization of the US Education System that has been providing graduate education and various research programs to its students for the past 100 years.
The main aim of the institute is to produce trained naval officers who would lend their hands to provide security to the United States. Operating on a motto of “Excellence through Knowledge”, the school has a total enrollment of over 2,600 candidates with an international student population of 300 students from across the globe seeking to study in the USA.
There are four graduate schools functioning under the organization that offers around 45 diverse degree programs. Naval Postgraduate School is open for admissions round the year and operates on a rolling basis. The institute is a highly coveted choice among international applicants and observes a moderate acceptance rate.
- Naval Postgraduate School is no doubt one of the best graduate schools in The United States.
- It has been ranked under 2 programs in 4 specialties as per the U.S. News & World Report 2020.
- It ranks 109th in the list of Best Engineering Schools according to the U.S. News & World Report 2020 for three specific programs.
- The programs are Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Industrial Engineering.
- The Homeland Security and Emergency Management program ranks 49th under the category of Best Public Affairs Programs by U.S. News & World Report 2020.
|Location||Monterey, California, U.S.|
|Endowment||5.08 million USD|
|Application Fee||Not Applicable|
|English language proficiency score||TOEFL or equivalent|
|Additional test scores||GRE or equivalent|
|Financial Aid||Available as grants, awards and scholarships|
Programs, Campus and Accommodation
- The current campus of the school is located in Monterey which is in California. The campus is built on 627 acres of land.
- There are a number of on-campus buildings, laboratories, and an award-winning library. Various on-campus events are also organized.
- Impressive recreational activities and government housing facilities are also provided to the students.
- It also has 12 different clubs where the students can interact with one another.
- The institute provides on-campus accommodation facilities to its candidates. The students who opt for residing in on-campus housing will be given Temporary Quarters to live upon arrival. Then they will be shifted to Permanent Quarters.
- The Navy Lodge-Monterey is the guest accommodation center which is located in La Mesa Village.
- The property offers kitchen equipment, cable TV, complimentary breakfast, on-site laundry facilities and many more to the residents.
- The Navy Gateway suites include Standard Deluxe with Kitchenette, Deluxe Queen with Kitchenette and Standard Deluxe without Kitchenette.
- All these rooms have a private bath, a queen-sized bed, flat-screen TV, micro-fridge and coffee-maker.
- Special accommodation and services are provided to people with disabilities. The accommodation is quite affordable.
- The institute offers an array of courses for international students across its 14 academic departments and 4 graduate schools. Three research centers are also available.
- Its 4 graduate schools are namely Graduate School of Business & Public Policy, Graduate School of Engineering & Applied Sciences, Graduate School of Operational & Information Sciences and School of International Graduate Studies.
- It offers a number of degree programs in 43 fields. The fields are engineering, technology, national security, and business.
- Some of the unique programs offered by the institute are Space Systems, Combat Systems, Communication Systems and many more.
- A unique MBA program is offered to the students by The Graduate School of Business and Public Policy.
Naval Postgraduate School Application Process
How to Apply?
Application Portal: Apply using the Online Application Portal
Application Fee: Not Applicable
Application Deadline: Rolling
Basic Admission Requirements
- A GPA of 2.2
- High-school transcripts (official). Send only one copy per school to email@example.com or paper transcripts to Admissions Office, Naval Postgraduate School, 589 Dyer Rd, Root Hall Room 100, Monterey, CA 93943-5100
- GRE score or equivalent
- English Proficiency Test certificates with TOEFL(iBT):83 or equivalent
- Letter of Intent
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Writing samples
- Financial Statement
- Valid passport and visa.
Naval Postgraduate School Cost of Attendance
For all the prospective applicants of the institute, an estimated budget for international students looking to study in the US is as follows:
- The tuition fee for full-time students is 6,000 USD per quarter.
- For the distance learning program, the tuition fee is different for different courses.
- For the Joint Executive Systems Engineering Management Program, the total fee is 54,000 USD. This includes tuition fees, books, and travel expenses.
- The accommodation costs of the Navy Gateway Inns and Suites would be 124 USD per night.
Other expenses that do not institute specific but general expenses common to residing in the USA are as tabulated below.
|Type of expense||Cost (In USD)|
|Room and Board (on Campus)||10,000|
|Books and Supplies||1,200|
|Personal Expenses ||5,500|
The Naval Postgraduate School offers financial aid in the form of federal grants and scholarships for international students to study in the USA. Only two scholarships are available for the non-military applicants only which are discussed below.
- The students who are selected for the Smart Scholarship Program receive a stipend of 25,000 USD-38,000 USD. Students from the UK, NewZealand, Australia, Canada with a GPA of 3.0 are eligible for the scholarship.
- The SFS-STEM scholarship is given to the students having a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science. They receive 34,000 USD per year.
- The SFS-Monarch scholarship also has a value of 34,000 USD per year.
- NPS alumni network aims to bring about a collaboration between the students, faculty and alumni.
- There are over 50,000 alumni. The alumni get free access to Dudley Knox Library.
- They also get to be a part of various events like the golf tournament, grand winter ball, etc.
- Some of the notable alumni include Alice Trevino, Ronald A. Route, P. Gardner Howe III.
The students of the organization are offered jobs under the USA government. All the placements will be done via USAJOBS which is the official website of the federal government.
The students will have to create a profile on the website and upload the required documents. They will also be able to view the status of their job application.