Old Dominion University (ODU) Norfolk Courses, Rankings, Admission Criteria, Fee & Scholarships
Old Dominion University, also known as ODU, is a public university situated in Norfolk, Virginia. The university has a total enrollment of 24,176 students. Among these, 19,372 are undergraduate enrollments and 4,804 graduate enrollments. The university is home to 769 international students as well, coming from 89 countries.
It is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). The average freshman retention rate at ODU is 80% for full-time students and 58% for part-time students. The average 6-year graduation rate of the university is 53%. Old Dominion University is named a “Best National University” in the U.S. News and World Report.
- Old Dominion University offers admissions in both undergraduate and graduate levels of study.
- It has a 17:1 student to faculty ratio and has over 901 faculties in the campus, out of which 546 are administrators and professional faculty.
- It has four regional Higher Education Centers, and a dozen of other on-site learning locations throughout Arizona, Virginia, and the state of Washington.
Old Dominion University Rankings
Here are the rankings of Old Dominion University. As per the Times Higher Education (THE) 2021 Rankings:
|Business & Economics (postgraduate)||#301-400|
|Engineering and Technology (postgraduate)||#601-800|
Rankings according to the U.S. News and World Report 2021 are given below:
|Top Performers for Social Mobility||#129|
|Top Public Schools||#126|
|Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs||#145|
|Business Course (undergraduate)||#180|
|Civil Engineering (postgraduate)||#127|
|Mechanical Engineering (postgraduate)||#117|
|Type of University||Public|
|Year of Establishment||1930|
|Intake Seasons||Fall, Winter, and Summer|
Campus Facilities at Old Dominion University
Old Dominion University's waterfront campus is located in Coastal Virginia. The main campus is located five miles away from Downtown Norfolk. The campus size is 335 acres and comprises 148 buildings. The campus setting is urban.
- The campus is home to 300+ student organizations. 25% of the students are military-affiliated.
- It also has 3 extended centers for Higher Education & Learning. The Old Dominion University Libraries has more than 3 million items.
Residence Facilities at Old Dominion University
Students are provided with 14 different housing options for living on-campus. ODU offers resident students with a variety of living options, from apartments to traditional-style residence halls. Every room is equipped with air conditioning, beds, dressers, heaters, cable TV, and wifi.
- There are a total of 28 Fraternities and Sororities on-campus.
- The Center for Social Mobility is the innovation hub.
- The Off-Campus Student Life Office at ODU provides help and guidance, for students off-campus.
- ODU's Housing application is accepted separately for each session Fall, Spring, and Summer.
Programs offered at Old Dominion University
Old Dominion University offers various programs. Nearly 150 programs run on-campus, out of which 91 are Bachelor's Degrees, 41 are Master's Degrees and 22 are Doctoral Degrees.
- It provides 2 Educational Specialist Degrees also.
- ODU through distance learning offers 100 programs through ODU Online.
- $50.9 M was expanded in the research in 2017 and the university received $49 M research funding.
- ODU comprises 8 academic colleges and one graduate school.
- The most popular courses that students opt for at Old Dominion University are – Bachelor’s in Biological Sciences, Marketing, Finance, and Masters in Business Animation.
Old Dominion University Application Process
International students who want to seek admissions at Old Dominion University can follow the below-mentioned application process:
Application Portal: Common Application, both online and offline
Application Fee: 50 USD
- Completed Application Form,
- Copy of Passport,
- Interview (if required),
- Letter of Recommendation,
Master's of Business Administration application fee is 75 USD. Processing of UG application requires 4-6 weeks and for graduate applications, it takes 8-10 weeks. Programs of study include over 70 UG and PG degrees, along with other certificate & licensure programs. Students in F-1 or J-1 visa status can only attend classes on the main Norfolk campus.
Here are the application deadlines for international students applicable for both undergraduate and graduate programs:
|Fall (August)||April 15|
|Spring (January)||October 1|
|Summer (May)||February 1|
English Proficiency Test Score
International students who are non-native English speakers need to submit proof of English Proficiency so as to seek admissions at the university.
|Exam||Minimum Required Score|
|GRE (verbal reasoning)||150|
|SAT (critical reading)||480|
|SAT (reading test)||26|
|CPE||C or higher|
|GCSE or GCE||"O" level passes in English|
|PTE Academic Test||53|
Old Dominion University Cost of Attendance
The estimated cost of attendance for international students to study in the university is mentioned below:
|Tuition||31,700 USD||25,600 USD|
|Room and Board||6,500 USD||6,500 USD|
|Student Body Fee||246 USD||492 USD|
|Books and Personal||4,700 USD||4,700 USD|
|Full-access meal plan||5,026 USD per semester||5,026 USD per semester|
|Health Insurance Plan||2,200 USD||2,200 USD|
Scholarships and Financial Aid for International Students
Students in F-1 status are allowed to work on-campus 20 hours per week during school, and 40 hours while not in session. The Office of Student Financial Aid at ODU provides support to students seeking educational program financial assistance and scholarships to study in the USA.
- The Old Dominion University financial aid programs are funded by the federal, state government and also by the University, and private sources.
- Various grants, federal work-study programs, merit, and need-based scholarships are offered to international students at ODU.
- Various loan programs such as Federal Direct Subsidized loans, Federal Direct PLUS Loan, and the William D. Ford Federal Direct and Unsubsidized Loan are also provided.
- Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship is provided to a Pell-eligible student and has less than 24 years of age.
- The Virginia Student Financial Assistance Program is based on financial need and is provided to Virginia resident students.
- All entering freshmen and transfer students are eligible for merit-based scholarships.
- The Alumni Association Outstanding Scholar Fellowships is awarded to two graduate students based on good academic standing.
- The Friends of Women’s Studies Scholarship is provided for students majoring in women’s studies.
Old Dominion University Alumni Network
A few notable alumni:
- Ben Bailey: Comedian,
- Kent Bazemore: NBA Player
- Bootie Barker: NASCAR crew chief
- Michael Bloomfield: Space Shuttle and ISS Astronaut
The university has over 124,000 alumni across all the 67 counties of the world and 50 states. The Old Dominion University Alumni Association of ODU campus works to reconnect alumni with present students. ODU Alumni Association organizes many events, football games, homecoming, and other seminars. Old Dominion University provides an advantage to its alumni under its alumni advantage program and students with its recruiting advantage program.
Old Dominion University Placements
For a graduate student of the Old Dominion University, the Median Earnings 6 Years After Graduation are nearly $43,700/ year. The university has a Graduation Rate of 54%. 49% of the students get Employed 2 Years After Graduation. 94% of graduates get employed as soon as six months after graduation. Curricular Practical Training and Optional Practical Training internship opportunities are also provided for students.
A list of salaries offered to alumni of Old Dominion University as per different courses are given below:
|Degree||Salary (in USD)|
|Bachelor of Science||75,000|
|Master of Science||70,000|
Ques. How much is the tuition for Old Dominion University?
Ans. The tuition for undergraduates at Old Dominion University is 31,700 USD and for graduates is 25,600 USD.
Ques.What GPA is required for admission to Old Dominion University?
Ans. An average high school GPA of 3.3 or above is recommended for admission to Old Dominion University.
Ques.Are SAT/ ACT scores required for admission to Old Dominion University?
Ans. SAT or ACT scores are optional for admission to Old Dominion University however, it is highly recommended.
Ques.How much is the application fee for Old Dominion University?
Ans. The non-refundable application fee of 50 USD is required of all applicants. The application fee for the MBA course is 75 USD.
Ques.How long is the entire application process?
Ans. Processing a complete undergraduate application requires 4-6 weeks; complete graduate applications take 8-10 weeks.
Ques.Is Old Dominion University Division I?
Ans. Yes.Old Dominion University has 18 varsity sports out of which 16 are a part of NCAA Division I.
Ques.Where do I send my application and correspondence?
Ans. Old Dominion University Office of International Admissions 2101 Dragas Hall Norfolk, Virginia, 23529 USA
Ques. Is my degree equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree?
Ans. Generally, a 3-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution is required for a Master’s program.
Ques.Does Old Dominion University accept credential evaluations from agencies?
Ans. All academic credentials must be sealed, stamped/attested by a school official (Registrar, Principal, or Controller of Exams), and sent directly from the institution.
Ques.Can international students receive transfer credit?
Ans. The Office of International Admissions awards general education and elective undergraduate course credit from classes taken at accredited post-secondary institutions.
FIND A PROGRAM
Application Portal : https://www.odu.edu/admission/apply
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Times Higher Education
RANKED #801 - #1000
RANKED #601 - #800
RANKED #301 - #400
RANKED #601 - #800
RANKED #301 - #400
View More >>
The USA is my dream country where I always wanted to go. And, my dream comes true when I attended the USA education seminar in my city, Ludhiana. At that time I have cleared my +2 with 75% marks and was searching for a good college to pursue my higher studies in the USA. In the seminar, after meeting with Old Dominion University representative I applied to the university online through the common application form. I was charged with $50 for the application fee.
Course Curriculum :
The university has designed the course excellently. It includes theory as well as practical. Assignments, case studies, and presentations are allocated to students for better learning. Highly equipped laboratories are available to do experiments.
I opted to go to this particular college for academic and diversity. This school has exercise science as a graduate program so I potentially don't have to transfer schools. In addition, this school is very diverse. I didn't want to go to a school predominately one race.
Course Curriculum :
The course curriculum is plain and simple. I may be able to graduate a semester early because I entered Old Dominion University with college credits from dual enrollment that I took in high school. Taking this course put me ahead.
I liked the location and heard good things about programs. I really liked the location and the small town feel. I have family who went to Old Dominion University and has had very successful careers because of the education they received.
Course Curriculum :
I have really enjoyed the Business curriculum. My classes have been very helpful and have set me up for success in my future. All of my classes are relevant and are tied together in some way to the business school aspect.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
- Train Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary