Harvard Extension School: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Admissions at Harvard Extension School are invited for fall, spring and summer sessions. The school provides more than 900 courses, 20 plus degrees and 40 certificates. It provides the degrees and certificates of Harvard University. As most of the courses are online, and there are various ways, students can opt which works best for them.
Harvard Extension School also provides for the students who have hectic or busy schedules or are continuing with their jobs they can complete their degree and certificate courses online. The courses are taught by faculty who are Harvard scholars, industry experts, leading researchers, entrepreneurs and most of them are instructors. This makes it a great short-term option for those who wish to obtain higher education from the US.
All campus Harvard Professional Development Programs scheduled through June 30, 2020 have been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Participants who are registered will get notified.
Also, the Harvard University leadership, Harvard Professional Development Programs (PDP) has made the decision to convert many of our on-campus programs scheduled through August to online formats.
|Type||Private, Affiliated to Harvard University|
|Mode of Study||Mostly Online, On-campus courses are short term|
|Annual Acceptance Rate||5%|
|Mode of Payment||Credit, Debit card, checks, money orders|
|Intake Sessions||Winter, fall, spring, summer|
|Test Scores Accepted||IELTS, TOEFL, PTE|
- Harvard Extension School welcomes close to 4,000 students from around the world to study part-time.
- The school is a part of the prestigious Harvard University, however its facilities are different, including housing.
- Since most of the courses are short term, international students are offered only online courses and some summer programs,
- Harvard Extension School offers more than 900 courses, plus 20 degrees and 40 certificates.
- The school provides 500 online courses available in the fall and spring semesters.
- Since the courses here are short term, no F-1 visa can be provided to international students unless it is a summer program.
- The institute also provides online courses, undergraduate and graduate degrees and certificates.
- Courses of study offered by Harvard Extension School are Arts Literature and media, Business & Management, Education, Global studies, Life Sciences, Social Sciences & Cultural Studies, Sustainability and the Environment, Technology.
- Harvard Extension School issues F-1 student visas for international students enrolling full time courses on campus.
- The Harvard Summer School provides students with an opportunity to live on campus during their stay in Cambridge.
- They also offer off-campus housing facilities for international students
- Students who wish to stay on campus must put in requests with the online services.
- Interested students can contact Harvard Square,
- The on-campus facilities provide dorms and single rooms for students as well.
Harvard Extension School Application Process
The students who are in non-degree programs can directly apply online for the courses, no application is required. Degree applicants need to apply through an online portal.
Application form- Harvard Extension School online portal
Application fees- 100 USD
- Summer- July 1- August 1
- Fall- November1 - December 1
- Spring- March 15 – April 15
Requirements for graduates programs vary from course to course. Applicants are advised to check the desired program requirements prior to application.
- Official transcriptions,
- English proficiency requirements
- TOEFL, IELTS, PTE
Costs and Expenses
Fees of all programs are given below-
|Degree||Total estimated cost in USD|
Housing in Harvard College dorms and undergraduate Houses include a board plan and costs 5,850 USD for the seven-week session and 2,925 USD for a three-week session.
Scholarships and Financial Aids
International students are provided with a few financial aids by the institute. They can fall into two categories-
- Funding for Program Candidates
- Funding for Pre Admission Candidates
Students must fill up the required forms to be eligible for the funding. After which a list of funding would be given to the student. The student can then apply for appropriate funding
Harvard University Placements
- The impact of a degree from the Harvard Extension School has no less value than other premium schools.
- The HES class of 2018 hails from 45 states and 36 countries
- More than 60% of the HES Alumni found a new job, or a promotion within one year of completing their studies.
- 82% of the alumni agreed that an education from Harvard Extension School helped hone their skill and professional.
- Harvard Extension School also conducts a Job fair where each spring CARC hosts its own job fair for Harvard Extension School admitted degree candidates, alumni, and certificate students only.
- Past participants have included standard Bank, GEICO, EMD Serono, Inc., the Museum of Fine Arts, Peace Corps, and The Nature Conservancy.
Fall Admissions Deadlines
Spring Admissions Deadlines
Academy Ranking of World Universities
I was a humanities student and was very fond of studying history and historical sites. I always found it interesting and wanted to teach others about it too. I completed my High school in 2013 with 96 % in history and then went to pursue B.A. in the architecture program and I graduated in 2017 with an overall DGPA of 9.2. After graduating, I wanted to go for a deep and prolonged Architectural study. I started preparing several thesis papers and research papers and then submitted them to one of our professor in college and luckily he liked it and asked for my C.V. I provided him with that too. I had to sit for the GRE exam in order to be applicable for admission here. I cracked GRE and also a language proficiency test is mandatory for taking admission here (either TOEFL or IELTS). I got 100 in TOEFL. The admission here is done through the Common Application, the application fee was $80.
Course Curriculum :
Basically, this program in which I'm enrolled is for those who wish to enter teaching and advanced research careers in the history and theory of architecture, architectural technology, landscape architecture, and urban form from antiquity to the present; or the analysis and development of buildings, cities, landscapes, and regions with an emphasis on social, economic, technological, ecological and infrastructural systems.
I had a keen interest in political science since my high school days and wanted to study more deeply in this field. I passed my high school exam in the year 2016 and went for a B.A. course in political science and scored well in my 3 years of graduation. I had an 8.9 DGPA overall. After graduating, I started preparing for GRE because I was determined to do my master's in a reputed college abroad. During that time I kept searching for various colleges that offer a master's in Government degree program and then found this college. It was very impressive to see the ratings and reviews and placements too. I cracked GRE and got admitted to my college through the online admission portal, the application fees were $100.
Course Curriculum :
Our college helps us build an understanding of the government's role related to economics, education, history, law, philosophy, ethics and so on. They also help us in exploring political practice and theory and analyze political behavior, cultures, and systems.
I wanted to pursue an MBA after my graduation in BTech, as I'm currently working as a business analyst in a company, so I was looking for opportunities in online mode and Harvard Extension School provides me that, it's an illustrious school, the course is a fine blend of theoretical concepts in online mode followed by practical training in the campus, I'm well aware of professional opportunities I'll be getting after completion of my course apart from the learning the fundamentals of the business. I applied online paying an application fee of $100 with my official transcripts, statement of purpose, resume, three letters of recommendation, GRE and TOEFL scores
Course Curriculum :
The course is focused on gaining insight into the latest management theories with learning the core concepts of management such as accounting, organizational behavior, economic theory, finance, marketing, and strategy. This is further followed by case studies, group projects and active learning experiences.
Harvard School is a part of prestigious Harvard University and I wanted to pursue a certificate course in project management, hence I choose to go with this school, Harvard in itself is a highly reputed name, so automatically any academic course becomes valuable in itself. The application fee was $100, I registered online and provided my IELTS test scores.
Course Curriculum :
The course is focused on developing technical and business management skills from the idea of conception to execution, expertise to handle a team, and being an efficient manager of an organization with effective communication and leadership skills, strategic planning, problem-solving, and innovation.
After doing B.Sc in Microbiology I worked for 2 years as a research assistant in the R&D lab of a pharmaceutical company. I was learning a lot from my work and did not want to quit my job right then but I wanted to do a master's also. One of my colleagues solved that dilemma by telling me about this course from Harvard and I found out about its a non-traditional structure of coursework with online access facility most of the time. I immediately gave the entry test and registered myself for two online degree courses that one must fulfill before enrolling in master's degree. In the last semester of the 2nd course, I applied by filling the online application form, from my college's website and paid $100 fees. Also, I had to make CDC review my transcripts and send them to the admission office. However, I was accepted for admission in the fall semester.
Course Curriculum :
We have to cover a total of 12 courses. Most courses are offered online but we are bound to do a minimum of 2 courses on campus. There are biotechnology core and electives that we learn over the degree period. Industry ethics and the latest trends also are there in our syllabus. In the next year when I shall be in the 2nd year, I have to choose between thesis and capstone track and it depends upon my career goals solely. I think I'll choose the Capstone track because I want to join the workforce after the degree.