University at Albany: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Established in 1844, University at Albany is a public institution in New York, U.S. It offers more than 200 Bachelor’s & Master’s degree programs, certificate programs and online courses to over 17,544 students. Out of these students, more than 1,800 of them are International students from all across the globe, thus making it a very diverse and multicultural place to study in the US.
For more than 175 years, University at Albany aims at providing academic excellence to the students by merging it with research and technology. Many of the graduates have found opportunities to work in different sectors like government, technology, business, healthcare and education. UAlbany alumni have found successful careers with companies such as Goldman Sachs, Disney, GE, IBM, Microsoft, Bloomberg, Samsung, Apple, Morgan Stanley, Lockheed Martin, Deloitte, and more.
University at Albany Ranking
UAlbany is ranked:
- #751-800 in the world by QS Global World Ranking 2020
- #147 in National Universities by U.S. News and World Report Ranking 2020.
- #351-400 in World University Rankings by THE (Times Higher Education) ranking 2020.
- #196 in U.S. college rankings by THE (Times Higher Education) ranking 2020.
- 131 of 668 Top Public Universities in America by NICHE ranking 2020.
- Among Top 10 most beautiful public colleges in the U.S. by Thrillist.com
|Rate of acceptance||54%|
|Number of international students||1,800+|
|Number of faculty||1,100|
|Student to faculty ratio||18:1|
|Student retention rate||63%|
|Admission helpdesk||UG admissions – (518) 442-5435
PG admissions - (518) 442-3980
University at Albany Campus
- The campus of UAlbany is situated near skiing, snowboarding & hiking in the Adirondacks, Catskills and Berkshires.
- University of Albany has 3 campuses
- The Uptown Campus
- The Downtown Campus
- Health Services Campus
- The Uptown campus has beautifully designed towers, domes, fountains, soaring colonnades and seeping canopy.
- The Uptown campus features a Performing Arts Center, University Art Museum, New York State Writers Institute, National Weather Service Meteorological Laboratory.
- Campus center includes lounges, meeting and dining rooms, ballroom, cafeteria, banking facilities, convenience store, Barnes & Noble bookstore and a variety of fast-food and healthy food places.
- Indoor athletic facilities include SEFCU Arena with seating capacity of nearly 4,800.
- More than 300 clubs and student organizations at UAlbany bring out the creativity and feeling of togetherness among the students.
- The Downtown Campus houses the Rockefeller College of Public Affairs & Policy, the School of Criminal Justice, the School of Social Welfare and the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences.
- The Health Sciences Campus comprises a center of booming Bioscience research and high-tech centres.
University at Albany Residence
- Residence halls at the Uptown Campus can accommodate 1,200 students and include eight, three-story halls and a 23-story tower.
- These resident halls provide the students with facilities like lounges, recreational areas and dining facilities.
- Students can get the apartment-style living, environmentally friendly living complex and 500 apartment-style beds at Freedom Apartment.
- Various housing options available to the students are traditional quad housing (Colonial, Dutch, Indian and state) and University apartments (Empire commons, Freedom apartments and Liberty terrace).
- Resident halls are available to the students at a monthly rent of 9,280 USD to 12,872 USD.
- Room rent at University apartments ranges from 10,284 USD to 13,830 USD.
- Residents have access to telephone and internet connection at the residence.
University at Albany Programs
- UAlbany offers a number of courses through the following academic schools and colleges:
- Colleges of Art & Sciences
- School of Business
- School of Criminal Justice
- School of Education
- College of Emergency Preparedness, Homeland Security & Cyber security
- College of Engineering & Applied Sciences
- Rockefeller College of Public Affairs & Policy
- School of Public Health
- School of Social Welfare
- Albany Law School – University at Albany Affiliation
- Honors College
- The Graduate School
- More than 50 undergraduate programs and 150+ graduate programs are available to the students at the University at Albany.
- Undergraduate programs available to the students are architecture, ethnic studies, biological sciences, computer science, education, accounting, art, chemical sciences, business administration, English, sociology, psychology, theatre and many more.
- Graduate programs are offered in various disciplines like anthropology, biology, economics, forensic biology, chemistry, liberal studies, social sciences, physics, sociology and Urban & Regional Planning.
University at Albany Application Process
Application requirements for international applicants differ based on whether they are applying for UG or PG programs. Following are some important things to keep in mind if seeking admission at the University of Albany.
University at Albany International Admissions
- Admission Portal: SUNY application or Common Application or Albany International application
- Application fee: 50 USD for UG courses and 75 USD for PG courses
- Application form
- High school report
- Official transcript in English
- Letter of recommendation
- Proof of financial support
- English proficiency test score (TOEFL iBT – 70; TOEFL PBT – 523; IELTS – 6.0; PTE – 50)
- SAT score – 400 with a 22 Reading subscore, ACT score - 19
- Personal statement
- 250-500 word personal essay
- Admissions deadline
- Early action application – November 1
- Regular admission priority deadline – July 1
University at Albany Cost of Attendance
- Cost of attendance for undergraduate and graduate students at UAlbany is:
|Expenses||UG courses||PG courses|
|Tuition fees||10,219.50 USD||22,210 – 24390 USD|
|Room rent||9,280 USD||9,280 USD|
|Meals||5,340 USD||5,340 USD|
|Total fees||24,839.5 USD||36,830 USD – 39,010 USD|
University at Albany Financial Aid
- International students have received financial aid worth 48,000 USD for over four years of study.
- Federal grants including Pell grant, FSEOG & Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship and New York State Grants including Excelsior scholarship, EOP grants, World Trade Center Scholarship and Tuition assistance program is available to the students.
- International students can also apply for various external international scholarships to study in the USA.
- The Excelsior Scholarship along with other financial aid programs provide the students with complete waiver of tuition fee up to 6,470 USD per year.
- FSEOG provides financial assistance to the students worth 200-500 USD.
- Students can also apply for various Student Loans with less interest and fixed annual borrowing limits.
University at Albany Alumni
- Alumni network of University at Albany comprises more than 187,000 students from all across the globe.
- Notable alumni of University at Albany are:
- Gregory Maguire – American novelist
- Priya Anand – Indian film actress and model
- Rashad Barksdale – Former American football cornerback of Arena Football League (AFL)
- Lawrence J. Korb – Senior advisor at Center for Defense Information
- Jamie Gold – American television producer and talent agent
University at Albany Placements
- UAlbany Career Advisory Network aims at providing the students and alumni to look towards better job opportunities.
- Students are encouraged to begin their startups with the help of their innovative ideas.
- The Office of Career and Professional Development for all the employers in search of valuable graduates of University at Albany.
- Job & Internships fairs, workshops, information sessions and speaker series are organised for the students and graduates to give them better insight of work culture.
FIND A PROGRAM
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
COLLEGE STUDENT REVIEWS
Application Portal : https://www.albany.edu/admissions.php
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
QS World University
RANKED #751 - #800
Center for World University Rankings
My top priorities while choosing a university for masters were one it is good if it is a public university and the university promotes the culture of research and studies and provides opportunities based on this. As the university met the two expectations I filled the application form. The cost of the application form is $75 and the application portal is SUNY Application.
Course Curriculum :
This is a 31 credit program out of which 25 has to be taken in the university itself. The course has given emphasis and care on the topics like artificial intelligence, forensics, graphics, modeling and simulation, natural language processing, networks, parallel and distributed processing, security, software engineering practice and principles, algorithms, discrete mathematics, logic and optimization.
I always had an admiration for pursuing my post-graduation in the USA. I chose this college due to its excellence in nationally renowned programs and allowed me to focus on career preparation and my strategic location, all of which worked together to help me not only meet my goals but succeed in ways never thought before. I had applied on their online application portal by paying an application fee of $75.
Course Curriculum :
This course consists of four semesters which included all my desired subjects like Cyber Security, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Information Systems, and Business Analytics, Human Resource Information Systems, Marketing. The pattern of this curriculum helped me discover how the basic functions of finance, marketing, information decision systems, human resource management, information systems. The totality of concepts, methods, and techniques learned allowed me to carry out a firm's policies and operational objectives..
The reputation was good, and the cost of living was also cheap. I also opted for this college because they offered financial aid and grants. That was what swayed me to choose here the most. I'm from California so I didn't want to move all the way to New York but education was my priority.
Course Curriculum :
It's very challenging because a lot of critical thinking is required, but I am learning a lot through the curriculum. It's very fast paced and needs a lot of motivation to study alone. If you can't push yourself, it's gonna be hard to succeed.
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
- Super Market
- Train Station
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary