State University of New York Polytechnic Institute: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
- The State University of New York Polytechnic Institute is a globally recognized public institute.
- It was founded in 1966 as SUNY Poly’s Utica. In the year 2014, the institute merged with the SUNY College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering in Albany.
- It has a suburban setting and utilizes a semester-based calendar.
- It has a total undergraduate enrolment of 2,260 with a gender distribution of 65 percent male students and 35 percent female students.
- This institute focuses on a sustainable future and has taken steps to consume net-zero energy.
- It focuses on research as one of its major priorities and has multiple research going on simultaneously giving students a good hands-on experience.
Rankings by US News, 2020
- Ranked 2nd in Best Value Schools
- Ranked 2nd in Top Public Schools
- Ranked 12th in Regional Universities North
- Ranked 52nd in Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs
- Ranked 6th in Best Colleges for Veterans
|Endowment||3.9 million USD|
|Student Retention Rate||79%|
|Mode of Program||Full time; Part-time; online|
|Campus Housing Capacity||44%|
|Annual cost of Attendance||33,488 USD|
- The SUNY Polytechnic Institute has two campuses: Albany Campus and Utica Campus.
- The Utica Campus has Canyon Library that aims to provide quality resources and user-center services for the students. They have books, as well as an online database for various specializations.
- They have a total of nine state-of-art laboratories that focus on different aspects such as stem-cell technology, cell-device integration, molecular biology, etc.
- The University also provides them with metrology labs for interested students that are not easily available in other institutions.
- They also provide for gym rooms with lockers, indoor running track, a racquetball court, and much more. The training room for the Fieldhouse is well-equipped with amenities including the hydrotherapy area.
- Utica Residential Hall: There are 4 residence halls available for the students.
- Parking is available for students who wish to have a car on campus. Different residence halls have different parking spots.
- Each residence hall has a laundry facility, cost of which is included in your room rate. It can be accessed 24 hours in a day with your SUNY Poly Card.
Housing Rates for a semester
|Living with Parents||$1,150|
|US residents living on-campus||$7,013|
|International Students living on-campus||$7,013|
- SUNY Polytechnic Institute provides for 30 undergraduate programs, 4 accelerated programs, 30 Graduate programs, out of which some are even available online.
- An option for a research assistant is available to the students where they can learn and assist a faculty member with a research project. Full-time graduate students are automatically considered.
- Some popular majors in the university are Business, Information Science, Nursing, Mechanical Engineering Technician, Civil Engineering Technician, Accounting, Electrical Engineering Technician, Medical Records Administration, Computer and Information Systems Security and Psychology.
- The student-faculty ratio is 13:1 with an average class size of 18.
- Application portal: SUNY Application
- Application Fee: Non-refundable $50
- Application deadlines:
- Early Action - November 15
- Regular/Traditional - February 15 (priority); June 1 (final); July 1 (Albany Campus)
- Student class profile:
- High School Grade: 85% and above (Utica Campus); 87.5% and above (Albany Campus)
- TOEFL: 79 and above (Utica Campus); 100 and above (Albany Campus
- IELTS: 6.0 and above (Utica Campus); 7.5 and above (Albany Campus)
- PTE: 53 and above
- iTEP: 4.4 and above
- SAT: 1100 (Utica Campus); 1160-1290 (Albany Campus)
- ACT: 24 (Utica Campus); 24-27 (Albany Campus)
- Supporting docs:
- Official High School Transcripts
- SAT or ACT scores
- Supplemental Application
- English Proficiency Test Scores
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Passport and Visa Details
- Student Graduation Rate: 57%
- Retention Rate: 78%
- Acceptance rate: 65%
Cost of Attendance
Estimated Cost of Attendance per semester.
|Tuition||$3,535 - $9,144|
|Fees||$622 - $746|
|Books and Supplies||$450 - $700|
|Transportation||$500 - $750|
Financial Aid for international students
The University offers student loans and various scholarships for international students to study in the US. Online application and submission of transcripts are required to avail of the scholarships and loans. The college offers two types of scholarships: Board Designated Scholarships and General Scholarships.
Board Designated Scholarships
- Lee Einsidler Scholarship: This scholarship is an annual award that covers only tuition fees for full-time students that are enrolled in the field of business to first-year or transfer students.
- Faxton Hospital Alumni Association Scholarship: The Scholarship is in dedication to the Faxton Hospital Alumni. The applicant shall be enrolled full-time, entering junior or senior student, or a graduate student pursuing a degree in Nursing. The student must also maintain a Grade Point Average as required by the University.
- Allen Madle Memorial Scholarship: This scholarship was established by the SUNY Poly Association. The applicant must be enrolled as a full-time student and show academic excellence, and show a need for financial assistance. The student must also pursue a bachelor’s or a master’s degree. Applicants need to submit an essay to be considered.
- The Yang Family Nanotechnology Exploration for Undergraduate Scholarship (NEXUS): This fund shall provide scholarship support for students pursuing undergraduate education at SUNY Poly. Preference for NEXUS will be given to students who demonstrate strong academic excellence, exceptional promise in the fields of science and engineering, and financial need.
- Mohawk Valley Institute for Learning in Retirement (MVILR) Scholarship: This scholarship is given to students who show academic excellence.
- Academic Merit Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to students who demonstrate academic excellence.
- Julia O. Wells Foundation: The students applying to this scholarship must be enrolled in Nursing, half of which must go to Albany Memorial Hospital School of Nursing graduates.
- Benefits of alumni
- AmazonSmile: Whenever you shop at Amazon, AmazonSmile donates 0.5% of your purchase price to the SUNY Polytechnic Institute Foundation in support of student scholarships.
- SUNY Poly Alumni Social Media Pages: Alumni Association members are encouraged to follow the SUNY Poly Alumni Association on social media to connect with former classmates or stay informed on upcoming events.
- SUNY Poly Fitness Center Membership: Alumni Association members, as well as their families, can purchase a membership for the Fitness Center at the Wildcat Field House.
- SUNY Poly Bookstore: Alumni Association members receive a 10% discount on all purchases at the SUNY Poly Bookstore.
- Bridge Magazine: The Bridge is the official publication of the Alumni Association
- Dell Computers: Alumni get 30% off list prices for select desktop and notebook configurations. Additional 30% off electronics and accessories. Monthly coupons are also available for alumni.
- SUNY Perks: Alumni that join SUNY Perks enjoy discounts up to 75% off brand names and products from brands like Best Buy, Sears, Home Depot, Apple, Sony, and many more.
Many companies come to the college to interview and hire a student from SUNY Poly such as IBM, American Express Financial Advisors, Bank of New York, Blue-cross and Blue Shield, Fleet Boston Financial Group, ITT, NYS Department of Taxation and Finance, NYS Department of Labor, Social Security Administration, The Hartford Insurance, Travelers Insurance, PriceWaterhouseCoopers, etc.
Find a Program
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
I have commerce in my high school and I have done B.COM in my graduation and still wanted to still further for business management as I wanted to pursue my job in this field. So I searched for the top ranking Institutions and filled the application form from the official website and paid $ 60.
Course Curriculum :
In my course I have to attend minimum hours and have gain 30 credits in my course. This helped me to attend the specific lecture which I want to attend not all.
I always wanted to study with the best minds in the world, for this, I have chosen for this university-based upon its reviews and rankings. The GPA of 8 in my bachelor's degree helped me a lot in getting through the admission process. I enrolled at the university with an online application form. I paid an application fee of about $20.
Course Curriculum :
My course covers management, accounting, mathematics, and economics. This course gave me an insight into the issue and helped me to establish teamwork and leadership skills. The basic goal of curriculum development is to ensure students receive comprehensive and meaningful learning experiences.
I got to know about this college from one of my friends who is pursuing his MS in Computer Science that SUNY Polytechnic Institute is giving a lot of importance to academics instead of focusing on other activities. Being an introvert I loved the atmosphere of this college as all the students of my batch are study-oriented. The application fee for the graduate course is around $60 for the online application.
Course Curriculum :
UNY Poly gives its students a rewarding education. They have impressive technology that allows students to have hands-on experience in their major. In addition, class sizes are very small. Classes typically have around twenty to thirty students in them. Having a small class allows professors to give each student the help that they need to be successful in class.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Shopping Mall
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary