Ferris State University: Rankings, Courses, Admissions, Tuition Fee, Cost of Attendance & Scholarships
Started as a joint venture of Woodbridge and Helen Ferris, Ferris State University established in 1884 is a private educational institution offering about 190 degree programs. It began as a school but was later transformed into a state university in 1987. The institute is a reputed name in the US Education System that comprises 8 diverse colleges offering some coveted unparalleled programs like MBA and MS in Criminal Justice.
WIth its main campus located in Big Rapids, Michigan, the institute provides courses at undergraduate, graduate, associate and doctorate level. The university has a student-faculty ratio of 16:1 which ensures maximum room for discussion and individual involvement in the classroom.
Admissions at Ferris State University are offered on a rolling basis round the year and do not follow any strict application deadlines. A nonrefundable fee of 30 USD is charged from all the applicants applying for enrollment at the organization. With an acceptance rate of about 81%, the institute is a lightly competitive university for studying in the USA.
As per the recent stats from different surveys, Ferris State University has received the following rankings-
- 10th Rank in top public universities of Michigan
- Rank 293-381 amongst National Universities
- 67th Rank in the best college for criminal justice course in America.
- 285th in the area of Top Performers of Social Mobility
- 110th for Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs
|Endowment||40.0 million USD|
|Student Retention Rate||72%|
|Mode of Program||Full time; Part time; online|
|Annual cost of Attendance||30,268 USD|
Programs, Campus and Accommodation
- Ferris State University has eight different colleges, with the main campus in Big Rapids, Michigan.
- The 951-acre campus offers more than the basic amenities to ensure safety as well the satisfaction of students. The campus prioritizes the safety of students and has amenities like access to police, medical health services, transportation services, etc. For availing these services anytime, students can keep their contact numbers handy-
- The university campus comprises 15 residential halls that include all types of residential preferences.
- More than 220 social, political, athletic and even more diverse student organizations operate on campus that engages students in multiple activities.
- Apart from the internet and library access essential to the education of students, the university has partnered with a lot of meal providers to better the experience of students on campus.
- Students have the privilege of living on campus at Cramer, North Campus, North Hall, or South and West. These campuses encapsulate halls, suites and apartments to accommodate students.
- Henderson Hall, Pickell Hall, Puterbaugh, and Ward are four halls reserved only for those who get admitted to the honors programs.
- The residential halls are equipped with Ethernet, laundry facilities, TV cable connection, kitchenette and are 100% smoke-free.
- Students can opt for single, double or suite style rooms depending upon what’s feasible to them. The rate list for the traditional living is as follows-
|Room Type||Rates per month|
|Double Room||606 USD|
|Double Room without a residency requirement||515 USD|
|Single room||800 USD|
|Single room without a residency requirement||680 USD|
|North hall double room||711 USD|
- The suites and apartments are reserved for community or family living. While the suites at East campus are available in the range of 696 to 935 USD per month, West campus apartments usually are available from 650 to 780 USD per month.
- West Campus offers apartments for family living as well. For a 2 bedroom apartment, the rate is 1058 USD and 1156 USD for a 3 bedroom family apartment. Students must apply for getting the on-campus housing timely.
- The institute offers a range of courses for international students including more than 190-degree programs at various levels.
- At the undergraduate level, students mostly opt for Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, or Bachelor of Social Work, whereas on the graduate level MBA and MS are preferable.
- Apart from the conventional degree programs, the university also reserves for its student's multiple certificate courses in fields such as Business Intelligence, Accounting, Project Management, etc.
- Most popular majors include Police & Criminal Science, Business, Nursing and Hospitality & Tourism Management.
Ferris State University Application Process
How to apply?
Application Portal: Online application at college website
Application Fee: 30 USD
Basic Admission Requirements:
The following documents are needed as per the program requirement for the application process-
- Official transcripts for the previous educational institution.
- Letters of Recommendation.
- Current Resume (for some programs).
- Statement of Purpose
- High-school transcripts.
- Financial Guarantee Proof.
- Bank statement.
- Copy of passport ID page.
- English language proficiency
|Tests||Undergraduate applicants (minimum score)||Graduate applicants (minimum score)|
|SAT (verbal section)||450||450|
|ACT (reading section)||18||18|
|ELS||112 with C||112 with C|
MBA program-specific Requirements
The MBA program offered by the institute has some specific requirements apart from the generic ones-
- GPA of 3.0 or above on a scale of 4.0
- GMAT or GRE scores
- Additionally, applicants who have not secured a ‘C’ grade or better in Accounting, Economics, Marketing and Statistics in the last five years must pass the desired test with at least 80% score.
The application for the MBA program must be submitted by February 15, June 15 and October 15 for summer, fall and winter semester respectively.
MS program-specific Requirements
The MS program in Criminal Justice being an important course seeks the satisfaction of following specific requirements-
- GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Transference of up to 6 credit hours from another accredited graduate program in criminal justice.
- Grade lesser than a ‘C’ is not permitted.
Furthermore, all the requirements must be fulfilled within a five year span of applying for the course at Ferris State University.
Ferris State University Cost of Attendance
The tuition fee for international undergraduate applicants is 19,488 USD and for graduate applicants is 951 USD per credit hour.
Ferris State University does provide an estimate of the expense of every student based on his circumstances and budget. An estimated budget for international students looking to study in the US has been tabulated below.
|Area of expenditure||Undergraduate cost (per year)||Graduate cost (per year)|
|Tuition||21,042 USD||17,280 USD|
|Room and Board||10,043 USD||10,043 USD|
|Other Expenses||3,500 USD||3,500 USD|
|Total cost||34,585 USD||30,823 USD|
Numerous merit-based scholarships for international students to study in the USA are provided by the university. The admission committee decides who gets the merit-based reward depending upon the application drafted.
Some merit based scholarships are President’s Scholarship, Dean’s Scholarship, Ferris Gold, etc. The reward rates for various studentships are as follows-
|Name of Scholarships||Estimate reward|
|Founder’s Scholarship||12,930-51,720 USD|
|President’s Scholarship||6,000-24,000 USD|
|Provost’s Scholarship||4,500-18,000 USD|
|Dean’s Scholarship||3,500-14,000 USD|
|Ferris Gold Scholarship||2,000-8,000 USD|
|Ferris Crimson Scholarship||1,500-6,000 USD|
To avail scholarships, grants or other financial aids, do fill the FAFSA along with the application. If selected, you will receive your reward online.
The university reserves some exclusive alumni benefits for the plethora of pass outs who have kept their association in the form of alumni. The bonus of being an alumnus at the institute is that one can avail the following services apart from fetching a degree-
- Alumni are covered under some insurance programs.
- Travel services.
- Vacation discounts
- Auto-rental discounts
- Shopping connection and also other services registered under Ferris State University.
Notable Alumni of the institute include:
- Linda Meeuwenberg- Award for excellence in Dental Hygiene by American Dental Hygienists’ Association and Johnson & Johnson Consumer, Inc.
- Brianna Wise- Recipient of Maitland P. Simmons Memorial Award for New Teachers.
- Terrence Rollins- American Football Association’s Semi-Pro Football Hall of Fame.
The university hosts a career and internship fair for students to present themselves as prospects. The last fair was organized in the fall semester on October 10. Business Administration students are a highlight at career fairs at Ferris State University as they get picked readily if they have the prerequisites.
The institute also has a career center to shape the interests of students and enhance their skills for future prospects. Most of the placement activities are preceded by a test that one needs to pass in order to move ahead. The area of operations is primarily chosen by candidates for job placement.
Find a Program
Application Portal :https://www.ferris.edu/admissions/application/
Early Action Deadlines
Regular Decision Deadlines
|total faculty||full time||part time||graduate assistants|
Building on the vision of the founders, Ferris State University will be an agile and transformational university. By integrating theory and practice, we will foster opportunity, discovery, and professional preparation for a dynamic global society. After securing a GPA of 8, I had applied through a common application form.
Course Curriculum :
The Accountancy program at Ferris is a professional, career-oriented course of study. Classes are offered which allow students to design their degree to fit their particular interests. The graduates qualify to take professional accounting examinations such as Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Management Accountant, and Certified Fraud Examiner. My professors bring relevant academic and real-world experience to the classroom along with a spectrum of licensures in these areas.
My University prepares students for successful careers, responsible citizenship, and lifelong learning. Through its many partnerships and its career-oriented, broad-based education, Ferris serves our rapidly changing global economy and society. My GPA was 8. I had applied through an online application form.
Course Curriculum :
My Industrial Technology and Management program is designed to complement previous training in a technical area to move into a management role in a manufacturing or related facility. The ITM degree is interdisciplinary, bringing components of various programs together with specialty courses that expand the knowledge base of the student in manufacturing and industrial settings. The foundation classes provide a depth of knowledge applicable to any technology field with classes in automation, globalization, lean manufacturing, general management, quality statistics, and industrial operations.
I wanted to take admission to a good American university for my MBA program. I did a lot of research and then I got to know about the Online MBA program at Ferris state university. This university is known for its quality of instruction and a large selection of academic programs. The best part was that the application was provided free of cost by the university.
Course Curriculum :
There were many subjects in our Online MBA curriculum such as international business, Business analytics, Finance, IT, Marketing, Cybersecurity and International Business, etc. It helped me to develop relevant conceptual frameworks and technical skills necessary for an effective decision.
This university was cheaper than many other universities and perfectly fits my budget. I had the required SAT score thus I could get admission here without any hassle. Also, a distant cousin of mine worked in that city and was ready to provide me a room at his place. Thus, this college was ideal for me in many ways. I had researched about this on the College Dunia website and filled up the form online. The form costed me around $10.
Course Curriculum :
The curriculum of our course is designed in such a way that we can solve them by applying creativity. The program is business based, so that the designers can lead the market. We are taught to be disciplined and patient while doing our course work. These qualities are very much valued and needed to have a successful career in our particular course.
I heard it had a good business school and great faculty! The tour was also beautiful. Peers and staff were very welcoming. It felt like the right fit and they work very hard to help new students merge into college life.
Course Curriculum :
So far the course curriculum has been great, and accurate to real-world situations and jobs. I have had lots of hands-on experience and haven't felt like I'm learning anything pointless. I feel like I am being well prepared for the job I want.
- Bus Station
- Book Store
- Super Market
*All distance are measured radially. Actual distance may vary